I'm at an impasse....... - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: I'm at an impasse.......

Quote Originally Posted by gray rider View Post

Miles, if you read this, please add your nickels worth input on this as I know you also have extensive knowledge and experience with the big Burgman.

First, I have to agree with almost everything that Bobby said. He hit a lot of the key notes in that tune. The F6B is a very visible bike, and if you have any doubts, add the lower cowling lights like most of us have done. Some of us have added the EC Single Shooter lights, with Yellow Lens, as the purpose of that light is to force car drivers to SEE you, rather than using the light to light up the road...which is what the 960 Dual LEDs are for.

Yes, I too had a Burgman 650, and loved it. Mine was actually converted to a ST-650...half the engine but twice the heart of an ST-1300. And while technically the Burgman 650 is a scooter, it is more of a motorcycle than 93.14159 % of the scooters out there. A Burgman 650 can run at speed with an F6B all day long. But, alas...I did sell my Burgman 650, because...and very specifically because...the F6B satisfied all the needs that the Burgman 650 was bought for.

After 43 years of riding, and...unmentionable miles...(see...I din't mention them)...I can say that the F6B is the best bike I have ever owned, and one that I plan to keep for a long time...and many unmentionable miles

And, the word is...it is going to be a one year bike, meaning...there will not be a 2014 model year of the 2014 (rumor), so you better buy one now before they are all gone.

Seriously, I know how good a Burgman 650 can be...but the F6B is so WAY much better.

Others have already mention some key points regarding the F6B. I'll only add that of all the Wings, Harley's, and other Honda's I have owned in my 35+ years of riding, the F6B is by far the best bike I have ever ridden. I have no plans at all to ever sell this one.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Although I have only had my F6B for a very short while, It is without a doubt the one I like the best of my past 14 bikes...Hondas, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Victory and HD...I love everything about it so far and am looking forward to installing the lower Mustang seat next spring and riding into the future......I think you are comparing Apples with Oranges...The F6B is NO scooter.....Good Luck on your decision, but it would be a no-brainer for me......

IMPASSE? OK

Now I have not owned many street bikes and there is a reason for that. I found what was the best bike for me many many years ago and I stuck with it. It was the Honda Valkyrie and three Valkyries later, I still have one, BUT! When I saw the F6B at bike week here in Phoenix earlier this year I thought, now there is the bike that could stand beside, but NOT replace, my Valkyrie. I bought it and I was right. I will tell you that the Valkyrie does everything very well, it was cruiser for the decade for a darn good reason, BUT! The F6B will run circles around a Valk and I would guess by everyones reaction to this bike, it will runs circles around alott of bikes that are out there. The F6B is in my garage for a very long time and shares it with my beloved Valk!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    No offense, I've owned scooters too, but the Burg is a scooter and the F6B is not. Apples and oranges to me.
    None taken Bobbyf6b, but the Burgman is a motorcycle, as it states on the VIN plate. Just a lot of body panels. But you are right to compare the two is apples to oranges.

For the OP I'm trying to visualize what to compare the F6 to, but I can't come up with anything that I've ever owned! I could only describe it as a sport Goldwing. GL1800ST

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Talking about visibility, I have never felt more visible than I do on the F6B! Everyday I notice people about to pull out but stopping when they see me coming. The dual headlights and bright full time signal lights up high in the mirrors are great for being seen. This is the only reason I haven't changed out the signal lights to tinted or clear, I want to be seen! Also, I can't tell you how many times cars see me coming up behind them on the freeway and they actually get out of my way, probably thinking I could be a cop. The Wing looks similar to the ST that alot of cops ride in Phoenix. Cars actually move over as I'm coming up behind them and move back over behind me after I pass. I never got that while riding my HDs. I just smile as I go by.
    This is my first bike, but I have to agree. I bought the F6B thinking I needed to add lights to be seen, but frankly, have found it to not be an issue. I constantly see people start to do a lane change and they stop, so apparently they are seeing my headlights on the highway. I also have people moving out of the lane for me as well - something that doesn't happen much in Missouri. I also suspect they think I am an officer.. Either way, contrary to what I thought, I can be seen pretty well. The stock hi beams on the stock are very bright; whenever I get into a situation where there is a lot of traffic / impatience / a lot going on, I flip on my brights as an added precaution.

I don't have other experience to compare it to, but I can also say I can see things just fine and I am blown away how nimble the F6B is.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not gonna be a salesman.

It sounds like you REALLY love your Burgman. You've got her just the way you want her. If you trade her, you'll have to resign yourself to getting the F6B just the way you want her, too. She probably won't be perfect for you right out of the crate. You'll have to tweak her for comfort.

As far as riding position, compared to the Wing, she sits a hair lower and a hair further back in the seat. But I think the Wing's and F6B's riding position is neutral - neither aggressive nor laid back. And as far as visibility, the bike is big... you'll be seen, although some of that depends on you (lighting, hi-viz, etc).

My question for you is: What made you want the F6B in the first place? Or maybe more to the point: What is making you want to trade the Burgman?

If you really examine your answer to those questions, I think you'll find your answer to your impasse.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

THANKS TJB AND ALL...!!!

Youse guys must remember that I went to high school in Arkansas. I've read
    every response about 10 times! Really good comments all of them, different each
    and all with a true unique point of view....OK I'm in awe here, I'll admit it!!

I wish you had "where you live" by your names like I do, so I would know where you were.
    My best vacations ever were riding to Alaska on the back roads ona GS, with my best bud with
    our tents.....
    ...taking my wife on a car tour from Glacier NP to Baniff to Jasper BC and back to Glacier.....
    It's the first time ever for 100 miles she never said a word......
    and our 30 day trip to Italy and 10 days in Berlin visiting our exchange "son" from 25 years ago......

I really got bummed on Gold Wings when I bought my last one a used one, a 2006 or 08 I think.
    Everything was great until I came off the freeway and at about 35 mph it started to shake and
    I really thought it was coming apart.....if only I'd been carrying a Martini...!!

My Berg is beyond perfect for everything I want to do but the longer trip calls to me again and
    even though the Big Berg can ride me to Callie and back, the feel of the SIX again is becoming
    too much to resist. If only I could keep both. Is begging the wifey beneath us..?

Ok, let me ax...do you like the orange one at RH on e-bay, do you like the dark windshield,
    better or the high Honda clear one better?......how important is heated grps, or the backrest.....

This are the things that make one go stark raving mad.......

Best,

w

Btw, did you like the way I started with "youse guys"......just wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by wishey1 View Post

Ok, let me ax...do you like the orange one at RH on e-bay, do you like the dark windshield,
    better or the high Honda clear one better?......how important is heated grps, or the backrest.....

This are the things that make one go stark raving mad.
    One of the reasons I bought mine from Honda of Russellville was the fact that there seems to be a problem with the stock paint having little or no clearcoat and the paint coming off in rags during a wax job. You can do some reading here on that (you probably already have). Their prices are competitive, too. I flew into Little Rock, they picked me up, and I rode it home to VA.

I came from a Goldwing and liked the regular sized windshield with the vent (which they will do for you, but the Baggershield convertible shield I like A LOT. It provides options: lower when you need more air, or flip the clear inner shield over to give a height of 19" for more wind protection. Check out their website: Baggershield.com.

If you've got more questions, keep asking... we'll try to give impartial (and not so impartial) answers.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok, so you flew in to LR, and they drove you to meet your bike, man that is so cool.......

TJB, so, how was the ride home, I need more.....