Picked up new F6B today & first time riding one...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up new F6B today & first time riding one...

Picked up new F6B today & first time riding one...

I had not even heard one run before…

Dealer had it ready to go, kept it inside all day, washed and waxed. Dealer owner went over everything, from checking the oil to how to program radio stations. He fired it up in the shop, and what a sound…it was the first time I had ever heard one. What a sweet, smooth machine. Wow. The odometer read 0 miles. I have never owned a vehicle that read '0' on the odometer.

Put all my gear on and started to head home.

My very first reaction was how precise everything operated. My VStar clutch operates by cable, so having a lightweight hydraulic clutch was a shock.

My second impressionable moment was how much of a non-factor the weight was. The weight was the part of was most worried about. Once it gets rolling (2+ mph), there is no difference. I don't feel like I can throw it around like my Vstar 1100, just like I can't throw a Town Car around like a Corolla. But it is a reassuring, "quality" feel.

My third impression was how easy it is to ride. I thought it would be a challenge with so much of a bigger bike and so much more power than I have ever had available to me. Once I got into traffic, my riding skills took over, and it was a piece of cake. The handling is on par or better than my 600 lb VStar 1100.

Fourth: it feels like I am driving a car. It is so smooth and stable sailing down the road. I was on an interstate within a few minutes of ever riding an F6B. I accelerated through the gears, never more than 3000 rpm, and I was going near 80 mph without realizing it. Sheesh.

That reminds me of my fifth noticeable experience: the power. It is not like a crotch rocket…or a VTwin cruiser…it just feels like it has that burst than a Vtwin gives you at low rpm only…and the pull of a high rpm four cylinder crotch rocket…spread out smoothly over the entire rpm range. This thing has waaaay more power than it needs. Sheesh.

I was surprised I could hear the radio at 60 mph with the factory windscreen … and speaking of that, ugh, that has got to go. Madstad is on the way.

I feel like my feet are too far back, underneath me. That take some getting used to. For me, the VStar had a riding position that was better than if I had Yamaha had shown up here with a sandwich and a Coke and designed it around me.

The seat is big, wide, has good lower back support and seems like it will be comfortable over long distances. The ride is smooth and steady, but a little firm. Will see how it is after a few miles.

I am not used to the damn rear brake being non-automotive like and that close to the peg. I missed it a couple of times.

The audio system/electronics need an update, but they are serviceable and proven (most important part).

It has 22 miles on it, and I will take it out again on Thursday...

FWIW, Kury makes a larger (1 inch wider) brake pedal if needed.

The first day I had the bike I raised the brake pedal up 2 splines.

You sound exactly like me!

Word for word, those were my impressions, too except the Audio is fine to me, but I came from old Harley radio-cassette stuff, so ..........Also, there is more DNA from a Civic in this bike than a VTX or the old CB series that I was used to. In nobody's world does the the performance reflect the image of the bike. It looks big and bulky but it handles more like a sport tourer except for the seating position.

Feet position was my issue, too. FWIW---Highway bars and a custom seat mod is probably in your future---maybe risers to re-position the arms. Lower controls are pretty much unmovable, so you will have to adjust the upper body to fit. Bummer, but that is the price you pay to have a big ole flat smooth engine.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

power

Fourth: it feels like I am driving a car. It is so smooth and stable sailing down the road. I was on an interstate within a few minutes of ever riding an F6B. I accelerated through the gears, never more than 3000 rpm, and I was going near 80 mph without realizing it. Sheesh.

That reminds me of my fifth noticeable experience: the power. It is not like a crotch rocket…or a VTwin cruiser…it just feels like it has that burst than a Vtwin gives you at low rpm only…and the pull of a high rpm four cylinder crotch rocket…spread out smoothly over the entire rpm range. This thing has waaaay more power than it needs. Sheesh.

Your comment on power got my attention. If you haven't had the 6 past 3000 rpms, you have not begun to feel the power! Go ahead, crank it up! It won't hurt the motor. Then you most likely will have some new respect for the motor in the 6. Enjoy, and welcome to the group!

You will probably find the rear spring preload is set to 1 click. Adjusting it to firmer (17 clicks on mine) will actually gives a smoother more forgiving ride. The adjuster is behind the right side cover. Open the right saddle bag before pulling on it. Its mounted on pegs and grommets. No tools needed.

Dealer said...

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy View Post
    You will probably find the rear spring preload is set to 1 click. Adjusting it to firmer (17 clicks on mine) will actually gives a smoother more forgiving ride. The adjuster is behind the right side cover. Open the right saddle bag before pulling on it. Its mounted on pegs and grommets. No tools needed.
    When the dealer was going over it with me yesterday, he said the seat needed to be removed to adjust the preload. I can access the adjustment by removing the side cover alone?

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    When the dealer was going over it with me yesterday, he said the seat needed to be removed to adjust the preload. I can access the adjustment by removing the side cover alone?
    YEP, as long as you open the right saddle bag first!

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Yes...If it's the stock seat. What did you buy?
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxed View Post
    Yes...If it's the stock seat. What did you buy?
    I have an after-market Mustang seat which makes removing the side covers a bit of a challenge, but the tech at my dealer has adjusted the suspension for me without removing the seat..If you know what your doing and take a little time being careful it works fine...Regards