Did you own a Goldwing before the F6B? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Did you convert from a Wing to an F6B?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

63 24.51%
  • No

194 75.49%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Did you own a Goldwing before the F6B?

K, back to the question. Yes, I've had 3 wings in the past. But, they were early models. 1976, 1977, & 1981. After quite a few Hondas I went the Kawi's route for a while. Even rode a Yamaha for a minute then on to Harley. Almost forgot the VTX & it was enjoyable. Almost had this F6B for a year and the joy & smile are still with me. Can't promise but I hope this one is with me on my 40th Anniversary of riding Wings.

I owned a 2005 Goldwing for about 9 months. That was 2 years ago. I absolutely hated it! Rear brake was so sensitive that it nearly threw me Every time I applied it. It was temperamental that way and I had no sense of confidence on it. That is why I traded it for a Yamaha Road Star 1700. When asked a few weeks ago if I wanted to test ride the f6b, I said I would but that I was going to hate it based on my previous Goldwing experience. One test ride and I was hooked....I found it so much different than that 2005 Wing I had. The rest is history. I've owner the f6b for one week and have over 500 miles on it already. I can't seem to keep off of it.a

09 Goldwing then moved to F6B

Also transferred my 1.25" lowering bracket onto my Cloud 6. Attachment 5873Attachment 5874

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckpointChcky View Post
    I owned a 2005 Goldwing for about 9 months. That was 2 years ago. I absolutely hated it! Rear brake was so sensitive that it nearly threw me Every time I applied it. It was temperamental that way and I had no sense of confidence on it. That is why I traded it for a Yamaha Road Star 1700.
    There was a RECALL on that problem, in some cases it caught on fire. Recall notice went out to owners in January 2012

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=6426-en

GL1800 Brake Recall

12/2/2011 9:00:00 PM

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that a potential defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the secondary master cylinder on certain 2001-2010 and 2012 model year GL1800 motorcycles.

Situation:
    The compensating port hole inside the secondary master cylinder (part of the combined-braking system) can become blocked due to (1) stacking of tolerances in manufacturing and (2) sufficient swelling of the primary pressure cup inside the master cylinder. If the compensating port hole becomes completely blocked, the rear wheel brake caliper can drag after the rider releases the brake input. If this occurs, the rear brake temperature and pressure progressively increase. Unexpected braking increases the risk of a crash and continued riding with the brake engaged can generate enough heat to cause the rear brake to catch fire.

Inspection and Repair:
    Honda motorcycle dealers will inspect the secondary master cylinder of all affected motorcycles in dealership stock or sold to customers (consumers and commercial entities). If an inspection indicates that the compensator port hole can become blocked due to this problem, the dealer will replace the secondary master cylinder. Registered owners of affected motorcycles will be contacted by mail and asked to take their motorcycle to a Honda dealer. The dealer will inspect the motorcycle, and if necessary, replace the secondary master cylinder, free of charge.

Additional Details:
    Honda motorcycle dealers will immediately receive a transmittal of complete repair instructions. Replacement secondary master cylinders in the U.S. will initially be made available through American Honda's dealer technical support hotline. Upon approval by NHTSA, American Honda will mail a letter to all registered owners, and also post a copy of the letter on the Honda Brand website: powersports.honda.com. Target dates for website posting are before the end of December 2011, and mail receipt by registered customers should occur before the end of January 2012.

Honda apologizes for any inconvenience this creates, but feels the safety of our customers is the highest priority. Honda encourages every customer to contact their dealer to schedule an appointment upon receiving the SAFETY RECALL letter.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

converted

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
    I am curious how many F6B owners converted from a Goldwing to an F6B.
    how about my converting a goldwing TO an F6B? Does that count? Mine is almost done!!! gary

Finally...

... found a suitable replacement for my '81 GL100I. I typically rode it w/o the rear trunk, something you couldn't do with a faired wing since then. The newer, bigger wings just didn't seem as fun to ride. Now, after 32 years, you can again ride a wing without the recliner on the back! Love it!
    -Steve in OR

The F6 is my first Wing. I didn't even consider buying a Wing until this bike came out. It's amazing how different the Wing looks by chopping off the trunk.

I've owned a few Sportsters, a Buell, Wide Glide, VTX 1800, Road King, Heritage Softail, Victory Cross Roads and now have the F6 and a 1200 Sporty in my garage. The Sporty is the essence of motorcycling for me and the F6 is the perfect tourer. Best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    I've owned a few Sportsters, a Buell, Wide Glide, VTX 1800, Road King, Heritage Softail, Victory Cross Roads and now have the F6 and a 1200 Sporty in my garage. The Sporty is the essence of motorcycling for me and the F6 is the perfect tourer. Best of both worlds!
    IMO, you've raised an interesting point. It is possible for a bike to be too smooth, too quiet, and, in short, too automotive. For me, the BMW K12LT I had crossed that line. From there, I went to a Triumph Rocket III and the love of riding a motocycle was back, big time! Unfortunately, it had brakes and a chassis that couldn't handle it's power which, to me, made it dangerous. The F6B seems to be about the perfect mix of performance and comfort but still feels like a motorcycle.

OK, so I don't swerve too far from the original thread, I have previously owned a Goldwing and a Valkyrie. The GW was many years ago, before the 1500, I believe. It was OK but somewhat boring. The Valkyrie was the first bike I ever owned that I felt I could ride all day long, never get tired, and was truly fun to ride. The F6B takes that up a notch .
    Ken (Hornblower)

I moved up to the F6B after two Granny Chair Gl1800s. I personally the F6B over the Full decked Wing. I never ride two up, so no worries. Never cared much for two cylinder air cooled bikes.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    IMO, you've raised an interesting point. It is possible for a bike to be too smooth, too quiet, and, in short, too automotive. For me, the BMW K12LT I had crossed that line. From there, I went to a Triumph Rocket III and the love of riding a motocycle was back, big time! Unfortunately, it had brakes and a chassis that couldn't handle it's power which, to me, made it dangerous. The F6B seems to be about the perfect mix of performance and comfort but still feels like a motorcycle.
    I've never rode a fully loaded Goldwing, but have heard many folks say it's almost like being in a convertible car. Anything on two wheels with a motor is fun as far as I'm concerned, but the stereotype is definitley out there. I can't imagine anyone riding an F6 and not thinking it's a fun and exhilirating motorycle, but I'm sure there is someone out there that wouldn't care for it.