Has anyone ridden a Victory Cross Country Tour? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ridden a Victory Cross Country Tour?

I'll chime in here as well having owned a Vision and ridden and still ride with several Victories. Here's some bullet points to try and sum it up:

1. The dealer network isn't as vast as Honda. Take that how you will, if you have a dealer then your great. The bikes are very reliable, like any vehicle some have problems, Honda is the same way for everyone of us who says it's great, someone's had something break or some terrible experience with a Honda, and so on for every bike company out there. Take it with a grain of salt.

2. The CCT doesn't suffer from the same buffeting problems as the CC, I have buddies I rode with last weekend with CC's and a good screen fixes the issues. The CCT is quite comfortable and you can get a taller screen if you wish. it has tons of storage, more than any other.

3. Consider the Vision. It's the nicest of them all, it's not much more than an F6B Deluxe (on sale it's probably the same price actually). Electric windscreen, plenty of power, you can remove the trunk with 4 bolts and a plug. So it's bagger and a tourer. There is plenty of stuff out there for it accessory wise (not like Honda but 40yrs vs <10). The handling is right up there with the F6B just with more ground clearance. Power is just fine, it's just in a different place than the Wing, it's not as snappy, you have to rev it out. With a Filter/Tune/Exhaust it's as quick as a Wing. My Vision easily beat my buddies HD that had exhaust, cams, filter, tune, decat, etc. The looks are usually the breaking point for some. it's different. I personally loved it. It's hard to go anywhere on it and someone not ask you about it. The Honda, well it's a GoldWing the same basic look has been on the road for almost 15yrs now, nobody's really surprised by it lol. Oh and little side note on Victory maintenance it's no worse or better than a Wing. Change the oil (do it yourself it's easier to do than a wing) in 15 minutes every 5000 miles and ride on. There isn't anything else to do besides change out the air filter when it's dirty. Well besides the ninny stuff like "lube cables", check this, check that. But big major work, not really. Fork rebuilds around 15k miles I think is the big one, about $500. But keeps the forks fresh and suspension like new.

4. The 106 is plenty powerful, but the 111 in the Indian is even better. And it has bluetooth, a seat designed by Corbin, killer style, huge floorboards, tons of torque, great tunes and it handles well. Just something to think about.

5. Accessories. If your the kind of guy that likes to Farkle the daylights out of your bike, the Honda is the way to go. You can buy anything from almost anywhere at almost anytime of the day or night for a Honda. That could be good and bad. Some people don't know when to say "no". I've seen things... Victory doesn't have quite as many as Honda but you can probably find anything you wanted to change or ad.

6. Parts. Sorry but I disagree. NOBODY carries parts for anything any more. It's all ordered. To many dealers carry to many different lines of bikes or to many models. The Wing is slow mover next to GSXR1000's and ZX14's and Busa's. And even those they don't carry stuff for. Every time I go to the dealer they have NOTHING for my Wing except oil, filter, crush washer. Any other part has to be ordered. Oh and batteries. Very few dealers actually carry any accessories for them in stock, but they'll order whatever you want. No different for Victory you can get oil changes, tire changes, basic maintenance stuff no problem. I did find that my 3 dealers in my area all carried Victory accessories. The only aftermarket part I ordered was my taller screen for my Vision. Everything else one of my dealers had in stock. I put a seat on it, kicker speakers, cup holder, RAM mount, taller screen, highway pegs, trunk rack, etc all bought from the local dealers. My Wing I've ordered almost everything online because nobody carries anything here. Performance Honda has some small stuff now and again but most things they order for me.

7. The F6B is great, smooth and comfy but does suffer some of the same issues as the GoldWings. The tire cupping, the GoldWing Wobble, etc. It is however super super super smooth and goes like pretty damn good when you twist your wrist. if you want something that just eats miles, the B will do it. The deluxe is the way to go, the center stand is a must have, the cruise also and for the passenger the rear backrest. I love having the radio on it cause I jam out all the time. I put a bigger screen on to calm the wind as well. It will run practically forever, unless your the unlock soul that gets a crappy one (hey it happens to some).

Ultimately I got rid of my Vision because of the warranty, it was about to expire and they wanted $2000 to buy an extended. Honda is $600. If it would have been that cost for the Vision I'd still be riding it today. The lack of a dealer network does hurt but in 24,000 miles I put on it in two years it never once gave me a problem. The wing is a bit faster, more accessories available and larger dealer network, the Vision/CCT bikes I feel are more comfy. A bit of a feet forward seating position with large floorboards and shifter and brake that adjust 4" forward/backward for comfort. I kept my Vision 2 years, that's the longest i've ever owned A bike at one time. I get ADD quickly and trade them out all the time but the Vision I kept the longest and would still have if not for warranty.

Right now I have 3 Honda's, the GoldWing, F6B and Valkyrie. I love them. The dealer network is good, the accessories are plenty and the maintenance is easy and low. If they open a Victory dealer closer to me I'll most likely go buy another one of those, I love them as much as I love my Honda's. They best part is we have choices!
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan2k View Post
    I'll chime in here as well having owned a Vision and ridden and still ride with several Victories. Here's some bullet points to try and sum it up:

1. The dealer network isn't as vast as Honda. Take that how you will, if you have a dealer then your great. The bikes are very reliable, like any vehicle some have problems, Honda is the same way for everyone of us who says it's great, someone's had something break or some terrible experience with a Honda, and so on for every bike company out there. Take it with a grain of salt.

2. The CCT doesn't suffer from the same buffeting problems as the CC, I have buddies I rode with last weekend with CC's and a good screen fixes the issues. The CCT is quite comfortable and you can get a taller screen if you wish. it has tons of storage, more than any other.

3. Consider the Vision. It's the nicest of them all, it's not much more than an F6B Deluxe (on sale it's probably the same price actually). Electric windscreen, plenty of power, you can remove the trunk with 4 bolts and a plug. So it's bagger and a tourer. There is plenty of stuff out there for it accessory wise (not like Honda but 40yrs vs <10). The handling is right up there with the F6B just with more ground clearance. Power is just fine, it's just in a different place than the Wing, it's not as snappy, you have to rev it out. With a Filter/Tune/Exhaust it's as quick as a Wing. My Vision easily beat my buddies HD that had exhaust, cams, filter, tune, decat, etc. The looks are usually the breaking point for some. it's different. I personally loved it. It's hard to go anywhere on it and someone not ask you about it. The Honda, well it's a GoldWing the same basic look has been on the road for almost 15yrs now, nobody's really surprised by it lol. Oh and little side note on Victory maintenance it's no worse or better than a Wing. Change the oil (do it yourself it's easier to do than a wing) in 15 minutes every 5000 miles and ride on. There isn't anything else to do besides change out the air filter when it's dirty. Well besides the ninny stuff like "lube cables", check this, check that. But big major work, not really. Fork rebuilds around 15k miles I think is the big one, about $500. But keeps the forks fresh and suspension like new.

4. The 106 is plenty powerful, but the 111 in the Indian is even better. And it has bluetooth, a seat designed by Corbin, killer style, huge floorboards, tons of torque, great tunes and it handles well. Just something to think about.

5. Accessories. If your the kind of guy that likes to Farkle the daylights out of your bike, the Honda is the way to go. You can buy anything from almost anywhere at almost anytime of the day or night for a Honda. That could be good and bad. Some people don't know when to say "no". I've seen things... Victory doesn't have quite as many as Honda but you can probably find anything you wanted to change or ad.

6. Parts. Sorry but I disagree. NOBODY carries parts for anything any more. It's all ordered. To many dealers carry to many different lines of bikes or to many models. The Wing is slow mover next to GSXR1000's and ZX14's and Busa's. And even those they don't carry stuff for. Every time I go to the dealer they have NOTHING for my Wing except oil, filter, crush washer. Any other part has to be ordered. Oh and batteries. Very few dealers actually carry any accessories for them in stock, but they'll order whatever you want. No different for Victory you can get oil changes, tire changes, basic maintenance stuff no problem. I did find that my 3 dealers in my area all carried Victory accessories. The only aftermarket part I ordered was my taller screen for my Vision. Everything else one of my dealers had in stock. I put a seat on it, kicker speakers, cup holder, RAM mount, taller screen, highway pegs, trunk rack, etc all bought from the local dealers. My Wing I've ordered almost everything online because nobody carries anything here. Performance Honda has some small stuff now and again but most things they order for me.

7. The F6B is great, smooth and comfy but does suffer some of the same issues as the GoldWings. The tire cupping, the GoldWing Wobble, etc. It is however super super super smooth and goes like pretty damn good when you twist your wrist. if you want something that just eats miles, the B will do it. The deluxe is the way to go, the center stand is a must have, the cruise also and for the passenger the rear backrest. I love having the radio on it cause I jam out all the time. I put a bigger screen on to calm the wind as well. It will run practically forever, unless your the unlock soul that gets a crappy one (hey it happens to some).

Ultimately I got rid of my Vision because of the warranty, it was about to expire and they wanted $2000 to buy an extended. Honda is $600. If it would have been that cost for the Vision I'd still be riding it today. The lack of a dealer network does hurt but in 24,000 miles I put on it in two years it never once gave me a problem. The wing is a bit faster, more accessories available and larger dealer network, the Vision/CCT bikes I feel are more comfy. A bit of a feet forward seating position with large floorboards and shifter and brake that adjust 4" forward/backward for comfort. I kept my Vision 2 years, that's the longest i've ever owned A bike at one time. I get ADD quickly and trade them out all the time but the Vision I kept the longest and would still have if not for warranty.

Right now I have 3 Honda's, the GoldWing, F6B and Valkyrie. I love them. The dealer network is good, the accessories are plenty and the maintenance is easy and low. If they open a Victory dealer closer to me I'll most likely go buy another one of those, I love them as much as I love my Honda's. They best part is we have choices!

Man, I love reading informative unbiased stuff..well done man!

With a Filter/Tune/Exhaust it's as quick as a Wing.
    Nice write up, however...

Nope. A Filter/Tune/Exhaust will NOT get you there.

Vision-
    85.0 hp @ 4670 rpm
    The Vision- 0-60 4.4 sec.
    13.34 sec. @ 96.03 mph
    Top speed - 107 mph

The F6B-
    103.66 @ 5580 rpm
    0-60 3.3 se.
    11.84 sec. @ 110.97 mph
    Top speed - 125 mph (factory limited)

The Indian won the comparison with the Harley and the Vision. In fact the Vision came in last. Just the opinion of some magazine guys.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/03/16...rcycle-review/

The handling is right up there with the F6B just with more ground clearance.
    JMO... But I'm not buying that either. Didn't handle as well as the HD or Indian.

On twisty roads, the long-wheelbase Victory is competent but not quite as composed as the others, perhaps because it’s the longest bike and it has the greatest polar moment of inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrysander View Post
    I'm closing in on a purchase soon, folks, and the contenders are: 1) The F6B (which I've test-ridden and liked a bunch, although it was a short ride); 2) The Triumph Thunderbird LT (which I haven't ridden but was somewhat put off by the floorboards, having always had the shifter directly under my upright riding position) and 3) The Victory Cross Country Tour -- an outside-the-box last-minute consideration that I'm finding myself drawn to, but haven't ridden yet. I thought the odds were pretty good that one of you has ridden the Cross Country Tour and can compare it to the F6B's ride. All comments are welcome, including thoughts about fit/finish of Victory, long-term reliability, etc. I did notice that Victory scores the highest in owner-satisfaction surveys (beating both Honda and Harley, as far as I could see), but this might just be statistics playing games with us.

Thoughts about the Victory Cross Country Tour?

Since you rode an F6B, ride a Victory and decide. I like the Victory Hardball myself, but couldn't get the price of a new leftover where I wanted it. I knew it couldn't match the performance, ride and handling of the F6B. But it looked so damn nice.

Turns out, it couldn't match the price of the new, leftover 6 either. They wanted $1000 more for a leftover 2012 hardball than I paid for my leftover 2013 F6B.

That sealed the deal.

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en...gers/hard-ball

The Vic and the Indian are just plain fugly.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post

The Indian won the comparison with the Harley and the Vision. In fact the "Vision" came in last. Just the opinion of some magazine guys.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/03/16...rcycle-review/

JMO... But I'm not buying that either. Didn't handle as well as the HD or Indian.

"... On twisty roads, the long-wheelbase Victory is competent but not quite as composed as the others, perhaps because it’s the longest bike and it has the greatest polar moment of inertia. ..."
    I think you meant the "Cross Country Tour", not the "Vision" based on the article posted and the 3 bikes they compared (Vision was not one of them). The ride is definitely different between the CCT and the Vision.

FWIW, the Victory (CCT, Vision & Indian Roadmaster) have 1" shorter wheelbase and @ 1" more ground clearance than the F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    FWIW, the Victory (CCT and Vision) has 1" shorter wheelbase and 1" more ground clearance than the F6B.

I think you meant the "Cross Country Tour", not the "Vision" based on the article posted and the 3 bikes they compared (Vision was not one of them). The ride is definitely different between the CCT and the Vision.

Yes. I stand corrected. The CCT.

I don't think you'll find many that will say the Vision out handles the F6B. And I'd love to see the comparison road test that proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    Yes. I stand corrected. The CCT.

I don't think you'll find many that will say the Vision out handles the F6B. And I'd love to see the comparison road test that proves it.
    I put @ 50K miles on my Vision and only have @ 5K miles on my F6B for comparison. Their rides are definitely different. I am looking at a Traxxion setup (what I had on the Vision) and then I will be able to make a more accurate comparison. The engine is definitely smoother on the F6B, but the suspension was smoother on the Vision.

I think my Anti-Dive-Valve maybe sticking because I get a lot of high frequency vibrations coming through the bars on rough (not potholes) asphalt roads. Once the front has been done, I will know better. I may try one of the Anti-Dive-Valve disable shims first, but read they work better with heavier front fork springs.

Attachment 14855

Even with cams, tuner, new ECU, map, pipes & timing gear, you don't get the low end that you have in the F6B. After you do all of that on the Victory, then you have to worry about the rest of the drive train and clutch holding up. That being said, I hope Polaris doesn't leave the Victory line with the 106 in favor of their new Indian 111 line.

shooter
    The Victory is a good bike. I run de with two brothers. One has a Vision the other one a Cross Country. Nice looking. Slooowww.

This is a lot of good reading and accurate accounts.
    For me I was wanting the CCT real bad and the deal breaker was the day I test drove it. I took out a new CCT and my buddy took out an used CC with 5000klms. We switched bikes about half way and the difference between the 2 bikes was not good.
    Long story short, I loved the look of the CCT but it did not ride the way I expected. If you ride the CCT and the F6B you will do like me and love the F6B cause it out performs by a long shot.