Well hell! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well hell!

Glad your ticker is ticking and your humor is intact! Speedy recovery!!

I'm in the hospital, hopefully go home Tue. It may not of been a high side looking @ skid marks. I think the front folded during the front brake lockup. First deer stepped out and I was clamping down. When the other two darted put last second, I clamped down harder. Not much time to think about hitting the rear harder. Dammit.

Mike

HOLY CRAP!!!!

As already noted - glad you are typing and telling the tale!!!!
    If you need a 'tool' to assist in filling your deer tag this season, let me know.
    I have several fun options!!

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Deer are so unpredictable. And when you see one.. there's usually a couple more still unseen but close. I've read that the best thing to do is rapid de-acceleration and prepare to drive through them if required. swerving will likely produce contact due to their unpredictability.

I have never had a close call (yet) with deer while on my bike... but have in my truck.

Secondary roads arounf here where I'm at always increase my pucker factor at dawn/dusk. That's when they start moving. At night time right now... forgetaboutit.. I try not to run at night towards this coming time of year. deer up here are thicker than ticks on a hound dog.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

My 2 cents worth ....

Sorry to hear about your mishap, hope every thing goes back together quickly .....

Not to start any controversy but ....

After I retired and the wife was still active, I commuted from Norfolk. Va to Raleigh, NC every weekend for 6+ years across a road known as "Suicide Strip". I was averaging a "critter strike" every 3-4 months. These included dogs, cats deer, coons, possum, etc ....

After i bagged my 6th deer, I decided to add those cheap dear whistles from walmart.

15 years later and (knock on wood) I have yet to hit anything bigger than a squirrel.

As a side note, I put a set on an SUV roof, near the luggage rack. After 2 or 3 miles on the interstate I had to pull over and tear them off .... The noise made my teeth hurt !!!!

I am not saying they work and I am not advocating anyone to use them .... but I will not drive a vehicle without them.

2013 F6B
    2016 Spyder F3 Ltd

[QUOTE=speedjunkie;154409]I'm in the hospital, hopefully go home Tue. It may not of been a high side looking @ skid marks. I think the front folded during the front brake lockup. First deer stepped out and I was clamping down. When the other two darted put last second, I clamped down harder. Not much time to think about hitting the rear harder. Dammit.

All good thoughts your way. Glad you survived. As for me I think Ill practice some emergency braking and swerving. Can only help. Thanks for the incentive.

Dan

Sorry and get well soon !!
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Sorry to hear about your accident. Just hearing the phrase "high side" makes me wince. Glad your injuries weren't any worse. I hope you're recovery goes well and without a hitch!
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Put a couple screws in my ankle this evening. Probably here another day or 2 per bone doc. Thanks for all the well wishes guys! Still haven't seen pics of the scoot yet.
    Appreciate all the well wishes!

Mike

Hi SpeedJunkie;

Not a good experience, but glad to hear you are still with us.
    Get well Mike...

WEG