Ergo IIIs ... first impression ... not good

Thread: Ergo IIIs ... first impression ... not good

Ergo IIIs ... first impression ... not good

**Disclaimer: Let me just say this reflection only represents MY experience ... not bashing the product, not trying to dissuade anyone from buying them**

1. Some quality issues concern me.

First, the pre-applied Loctite on the button-head screws for the adjustable extensions attached to the footpads had dried up. This resulted in me applying too much torque to the hex head of 3 of 4 screws, rounding them out. I guess I blame myself for this, not processing that the Loctite was dry and was interfering with the threading in of the screws smoothly.

I did call Kury and they were responsive and polite and suggested the retailer was not rotating stock well enough, causing the product to dry on to the threads. I bought them last fall, and they sat in the garage for six months ... I did not know there was a timeline to getting them installed prior to thread locker hardening and needing to be carved out of the threads. Kury is sending me four new chrome button screws.

Second, these Ergos have a spring loaded return feature, allowing rider's feet to push them down for greater leg extension. They are designed to spring back up. Mine will not. In fact, one of them is stuck down and will not retract. I now have to take them apart and lubricate the helix and rest of the mechanism just to get them to work. Should one have to do this for a brand new product that cost $300?

Third, the paint chips off very easily. When say easily, I mean a pinky nail sized gouge right down to bare metal if dropped 3" on to the garage floor.

2. I am not yet comfortable with foot placement.

I took a 70 mile ride yesterday with the Ergos in place, even though they are not operating properly. I do not feel safe with my feet extended out away from the shifter and rear brake. The primary reason is not due my feet being away from the controls, though I do not like that either; it has to do with the positioning of my body in the event of heavy braking or an evasive maneuver. That stretched out, reclined position does not seem like a good one to be in when a car pulls out in front of you. Not to mention, having your feet out like that puts all of your upper body weight on to your ass and thighs. It's nice to buy some leg room, but that reclined position does not seem well suited for long term comfort.

Maybe I need to back the Ergos closer to me in what is supposed to be the short leg position - even though I am long of leg? I dunno - maybe that wannabe Harley is not for me and the more upright, standard-bike positioning of the F6B is good enough.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I have a set of the 3's on my F6B they were on bike when I purchased it. They felt very different at first, but after a few rides I have no complaints. I also have a full Wing and it has a set of Rivco pegs on it. If comparing the two of them. I like the Rivco the best.

I have mine set low where I can still reach them with a 6" extension.
    They take the weight off my rear and put it on my inner legs. Good for relieving butt pressure for a while.
    And set me straight up in the seat.
    The only thing is that puts my legs close to the heads and if not careful you will feel the heat.
    They give me another position to use and good for longer time in the saddle.
    I use the passenger foot rests and rock forward leaning into the bars.
    On long rides the more positions the better.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I have the threes and love them! I took out the springs and have the spacers in because my legs are short. You have to try different positions to get that perfect fit. When in traffic or roads with a lot of side roads your feet should be on controls. When on long rides I use them to change positions and stay comfortable. Highway pegs are a must for me and always one of the first things I put on a bike.

I have the chrome Ergos II on my F6B and I'm very happy and I wouldn't be without them. On my 2015 Valkyrie I have the III's and they are also great I wanted the II's but you can't get them in black with the 6 inch arms. I hated to spent the extra money on.

It took me several tries to get mine to fit me, a PITA to adjust. Might back the allen head in the foot rest a tad to make them move easier, perhaps a drop of oil might do the job. Mine have the 6" arms too.