Question for those that use headsets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for those that use headsets

Question for those that use headsets

Just wondering what kind of Bluetooth headset you use and what kind of helmet be it a
    half or module or full face. Also how well it works.
    I just moved my Sena 20s from my modular helmet to my half helmet and was very
    seprised to find that it seems to work just fine in both.
    I have to admit I did have to make some adjustments of the half helmet to get the
    speakers right even with my ears.
    shortleg

[I posted this on the ST-Owners forum - where I hang out a bit - but thought the info would be useful here too]

Running three Sena 10R's here. Like the SMH10, but next generation.
    Slimmer (see pics), larger speakers, Bluetooth 4.1, better battery life, etc...
    I really like them. I actually answered my first phone call the other day (I had a pool table for sale on Craigslist, and I knew the buyer was calling), he couldn't even tell I was on my bike.
    Intercom functions well between the three of us (Me, Son, Daughter).
    Range is acceptable... not the 1/2 mile or more that it claims, but the range is much further than I would ever get away from my daughter anyway (she's a newbie).
    Installation in my Nolan N104 EVO was simple, and the external battery fit in the existing pocket within the back of the helmet.
    With the battery being external to the controller, it has very long life, and if it ever begins to not accept charging, you can replace it without buying a new device.
    I made one small slit on the neck-roll trim for the cable to pass inside the helmet (see pics), and stuck it on the outside over the hole that Nolan provided for their proprietary communicator.
    Looks like a factory install in my opinion. Couldn't have asked for an easier fit.
    My Son's helmet was not as accommodating, so his battery went on the outside back, and my Daughter took the time to cut a notch behind her neck-roll and hid hers like mine.
    I used the goose-neck boom microphone (it includes both types) and I just tuck it up out of the way when not using it (see pics).

It is truly the most comfortable and functional helmet I have ever owned. Adding the Sena 10R just made it better.

Just my $.02.
    Jim

Attachment 23282 Attachment 23281 Attachment 23278 Attachment 23279 Attachment 23280

The forum software wouldn't let me add more than 5 images to my post, but I had two more:

Attachment 23283 Attachment 23284

Jim

I too upgraded to the Sena 10R from the SMH10 a week ago. Quite a bit better than the SMH10 in call quality and being able to cut out wind noise. My wife could always tell when I was riding before, now she says I sound like I'm not moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I too upgraded to the Sena 10R from the SMH10 a week ago. Quite a bit better than the SMH10 in call quality and being able to cut out wind noise. My wife could always tell when I was riding before, now she says I sound like I'm not moving.
    I hope she can tell the difference in other rooms of the house.

Do you listen to music with that 10R setup? How does it sound? Is it aceptable or would you just use the bike speakers?
    2016 Honda F6B Deluxe . Matte Pearl White . Klock Werks Fairing

Quote Originally Posted by cruzdog954 View Post
    Do you listen to music with that 10R setup? How does it sound? Is it aceptable or would you just use the bike speakers?
    Yes, I do listen to some great music. Sound quality is acceptable for helmet speakers. One of the reasons I chose the 10R over the SMH10 is that it uses the larger driver in the speakers. It sounds better with earplugs in... better bass response actually.

I did find, after the initial install, that there was still a great deal of open space in the ear pockets of the Nolan helmet, so I popped the speakers back out of the factory insets (which fit the 10R speakers perfectly, I might add), and I put the two Velcro pads in behind them, just to move the speakers closer to the ear. I also noticed that there was an additional second thin foam inside the helmets cheek pads that I peeled off. Both of those alterations made a big difference in the quality of the sound, and I still have plenty of room between my ear and the helmet liner/speaker itself.

I can't say how it compares to the factory bike speakers, as I do not own a F6B yet.

[By the way... I love your bike. That's the color I'm shootin' for.]

I wouldn't call the in helmet audio great by any measure for listening to music, as most every tiny unit that has to throw audio any distance with air gap between the cone and ear canal are going to be mediocre at best. I would rate it higher than listening to music from a laptop or tablet. The problem with these types of helmet speakers are, they are piezoelectric speakers which is the only way to get the size needed to make things work. While they are acceptable at high frequency output, they are sub-par for midrange and abysmal for low-end bass.

You wont get the quality of audio you would have from something like a headset (ie, Bose, Sennheiser, Beats) nor even that of earplugs (ie, SkullCandy), but they are acceptable for listening to.

You can add some foam padding to the back side (between helmet and speaker) to press the speaker closer to your ear and get a slightly better listening level with them, but it makes putting the helmet on a little more challenging.

I mainly listen to the bike speakers for audio though...but I swapped the stock speakers out for a pair of Rockford Fosgate units. Nothing wrong with the stockers, I just began adding the audio system I want with those first.

change the speakers.

I put my speakers from my old J & M headset to my Sena 20. Noted twice the volume and now have base in my music. Highly recommended. Hornblower changed his also with some from the internet. His may even sound better. Good luck.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    I put my speakers from my old J & M headset to my Sena 20. Noted twice the volume and now have base in my music. Highly recommended. Hornblower changed his also with some from the internet. His may even sound better. Good luck.
    I have tinnitus pretty bad... so have to use earplugs at highway speeds. The Sena 20 speakers are good for around town, but on the highway; even at full volume I can hardly hear them while wearing earplugs.

I do have them optimally positioned in my helmet. I would like to know of the aftermarket speakers Hornblower is using; if he did replace the OEM Sena 20 speakers.

I have also been contemplating noise reduction ear buds; to use with my Sena (has that capability) but do not relish messing with cords and trying to keep the ear buds in while donning my helmet/removing it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537