Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

All I can find in the Honda F6B repair manual on page 23-22, is that the stock speaker should have a resistance of 3.8 ohm's. I can't find nothing on the Amp output in the manual.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post
    So on the standard wing, obviously they have 4 speakers and probably a 4 channel oem amp. Do we have some same 4 channel amp as the stock wing or is it a different amp and only 2 channels. The reason why I am asking is Im thinking about adding 2 more speakers and speaker pods to my tour pak. Wondering if I can use the stock amp or I need to purchase another one.

Grant
    It's the same. There are unused speaker taps under your seat.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    As for the Ohm rating, I was under the impression our 4 Ohm speakers were run in parallel with the tweeters which brings the total load down towards 2 Ohms. If we disconnect the factory tweeter, aren't we running the same load ?
    Good question. The factory tweeter is a 4 ohm 15 watt speaker. BUT - it is in series with a .68uf capacitor. That increases the resistance/impedance of the tweeter to over 200 ohms at 10khz and over 2000 ohms at 1khz.

The 3.8 or 3.7 ohm speaker is in parallel with that 200 to 2000 ohms. So, you still have pretty much that same 3.7/3.8 ohms.

While on this subject: I can't believe that anyone can hear a thing out of the factory tweeters with that .68uf cap in series. I just added 3.3uf capacitors to my factory tweeters (in parallel with the .68uf).

Now they actually make some sound. I can hear some high notes that I didn't used to. If you choose to do this, use some big ass caps (non polarized). They will be dissipating some heat now. Mine are about the size of my thumb up to the first knuckle.
    Albuquerque, NM

JBL Product Technical Support - 1.800.336.4525
    Very helpful.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I'm going to install mine this Saturday and was wondering about the stock tweeters. Did you just not plug the wires back into them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    I'm going to install mine this Saturday and was wondering about the stock tweeters. Did you just not plug the wires back into them?

Correct, Bill.
    Do not connect the stock tweeter. Just tuck the wire away and put dust cap on the back of them. You will no longer use them with the after market speaker.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Per my post above:
    I doubt you can tell any difference whether you have the stock tweeters plugged in or not.

The advantage of not plugging them in is not having to disconnect them when you remove the shelter.

For sh!ts & grins, when you have your speakers out during the replacement process, plug in at least one tweeter (no speaker), turn on your radio and "see" what you hear. I'd like to know if you have the same observations that I did (almost nothing).
    Albuquerque, NM

Choptop,

Let me know how they compare to your new J&M speakers. I just installed the J&M last week and they sound pretty good compared to stock. I would like to get away without upgrading the amp. For $50.00 if they are better than the new J&M version they might be worth picking up a pair. Also they can handle a amp upgrade.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    Choptop,

Let me know how they compare to your new J&M speakers. I just installed the J&M last week and they sound pretty good compared to stock. I would like to get away without upgrading the amp. For $50.00 if they are better than the new J&M version they might be worth picking up a pair. Also they can handle a amp upgrade.
    Steve
    I just got my J&M last week, had not had chance to install them yet, heard both yea's and not so yea's and decided to order the JBL's after so many people raved about them. So the J&M's will sit in the box for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    Choptop,

Steve
    I thought that according to JimmyTee that we couldn't do just an amp upgrade. I probably read into what was being said and misunderstood. Is it possible?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994