Preparing for Yellowstone trip. - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for Yellowstone trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    About 8yrs ago, riding in Yellowstone, lost track of time while being a dumb tourist. About 5pm, I realized I had better find someplace to stay. Sorry, the 2 Historic hotels were full, so I got a campsite. At 8000 ft above sea level, gets very cold fast, even in August. Frost on the windshield in the morn. I had no tent, just a 6x6 tarp tied off the side of he cycle. No sleeping bag, either. just put on all the clothes I had and froze my tail all nite. Happy to see the sun come up in the morning.
    Been there done that, very similar story on my way to Alaska so wont go into it. When it goes into the 20's you want more than a tarp and a lite blanket!!!

Ordered my Madstad 11" today. I like my short shield, not stock, a little taller and came w/the bike. Considering the amount of time in the saddle and the weather we will undoubtedly run into I thought an upgrade to the Madstad would be a good investment and make the trip more enjoyable. Thanks for the positive input, after that, the decision was easy.

Does Honda Run a Full Synthetic in the Diff

I just bought my Deluxe so I am unaware of what Honda puts in the Differential. If they have standard 80/90 weight in there I would have it switch to a full synthetic with you pulling a trailer it will put extra heat in the differential and a full synthetic would by far handle it better. Just a thought I had.... Good Luck and drive safe on you excursion.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I just bought my Deluxe so I am unaware of what Honda puts in the Differential. If they have standard 80/90 weight in there I would have it switch to a full synthetic with you pulling a trailer it will put extra heat in the differential and a full synthetic would by far handle it better. Just a thought I had.... Good Luck and drive safe on you excursion.
    I have always heard not to change the oil in the differential until the manual calls for it.
    Honda puts some extra stuff in there when new!

Quote Originally Posted by valkmc View Post
    I have always heard not to change the oil in the differential until the manual calls for it.
    Honda puts some extra stuff in there when new!
    I heard that too; some kind of additive that they want to interact with the diff gears for a certain amount of time.

Received notification from Madstad that my 11" dark grey shield will be hear on Friday, new front and rear in garage ready to mount, 17 more days till we leave.

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Not the ones with the big long teeth and claws, they show up silently and trash everything in sight when they smell food. They have ripped doors right off of cars to get to the snack that people have left inside. I don't think an F6B would fare very well to that kind of onslaught.
    I was on a cross country with a buddy years ago and, after a long day's ride, he bathed in a nearby stream, shaved, and put on some aftershave/lotion. The furry creatures of the forest enjoy that stuff, too. He woke me in the next tent screaming because a bear was licking the aftershave from his face. If you're going to camp, bring a laundry bag and hang everything that can be eaten or smells good with parachute cord between trees rocks or whatever is elevated.

Chop Top, I'm leaving from around Milwaukee on Sunday and going out to Boise. Going to be going pretty much the same route and then west thru Yellowstone. Been on this trip a couple of times and love it. My wife flies out and
    I ride the bike. I can usually last about 150 miles on my 6 before I have to stop and walk around a little. I usually put on around 700 miles in a day and don't feel worn out or tired. All told I put on about 4,000 miles. Great trip. I
    ride alone on this trip and have always met nice people and had a good time. The tire repair kit is a good idea. Never had to use it thankfully. Going over the Big Horn mountains is great from Buffalo to Cody. Have fun and ride safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Chop Top, I'm leaving from around Milwaukee on Sunday and going out to Boise. Going to be going pretty much the same route and then west thru Yellowstone. Been on this trip a couple of times and love it. My wife flies out and
    I ride the bike. I can usually last about 150 miles on my 6 before I have to stop and walk around a little. I usually put on around 700 miles in a day and don't feel worn out or tired. All told I put on about 4,000 miles. Great trip. I
    ride alone on this trip and have always met nice people and had a good time. The tire repair kit is a good idea. Never had to use it thankfully. Going over the Big Horn mountains is great from Buffalo to Cody. Have fun and ride safe.
    Hi, went to Hartford High, spent many summers in Oconomowoc in the early '70's, still have friends their. Am looking forward to this trip. be about 4 days behind you, we are going to average 300 miles a day, hope this sciatic nerve thing is ok before I leave. Once we leave West Yellowstone and head north to 94 we will spend a couple days getting back towards the Twin Cities. Have fun !!

Got my 11" Madstad today, just got threw installing it. Just like most guys I am not sure about the look, well I am sure that I liked my smaller shield LOOK better but this is all about the comfort, hearing the radio, staying dry and possibly warmer. I don't really like the gap between the back of the dash and the mounting shield, have a large diameter tubular black filler foam that I think I can use to make it look better. Tomorrow promises to be a half way good day, may do a test ride down to my brothers. I have not touched the adjustment knobs, it is as it came from Madstad, do they all come in the same position ? I have hear some say that it was great for them the way it came. I guess the ride will tell.