Tired of "belonging" - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tired of "belonging"

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    Was it a motorcycle club or a riding group or other organization?

Motorcycle clubs are very different than other groups.
    Other organization.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

This is web series I just came across that seems like something that would be enjoyable to anyone looking at this thread.
    I've only watched the first episode so far, favorite line: 2 guys considering starting a motorcycle club, "We'd be one hundred percent one percenters!"

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    This is web series I just came across that seems like something that would be enjoyable to anyone looking at this thread.
    I've only watched the first episode so far, favorite line: 2 guys considering starting a motorcycle club, "We'd be one hundred percent one percenters!"
    []
    OMG. That's not *my* favorite line.

"There's a YOU in c***"

Best ever

I'll be stealing

shooter
    I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to riding with my big club at Russellville. Its gonna be huge!!! Like Thunder on the Mountain!!! Well......... maybe not like Thunder , maybe like a soft rain. We ain't loud but we're proud!!!!!

"I wouldn't want to belong to any group that would admit people like me!" (Groucho Marx)
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to riding with my big club at Russellville. Its gonna be huge!!! Like Thunder on the Mountain!!! Well......... maybe not like Thunder , maybe like a soft rain. We ain't loud but we're proud!!!!!
    More like thunder under the sheets. You and pup tenting when we was young......man I hope you are off broccoli and cheese.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I'm lucky , my best riding buddy is my wife. We don't need anybody else to have fun.
    Ditto !!
    Been riding for well over 55 years. My wife and I have been members of a few clubs starting in 1977.
    If my memory serves me we were done with clubs in 1986. No need to give details cause we have all been there. My riding buddy is my wife !!
    Oh yes she knows I keep up with Steve's Chive On !!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    One of the benefits of being a teacher. Free entertainment. (Anybody who works in the public school system has my respect-----and condolences at the same time)
    This is soooo true. I do not work in the classroom anymore, but I spent 12 years as a 5th grade teacher, and I have heard some doozies that I still talk about today. Here are my top three:

1st place: A 2nd grade girl..."Good morning Mr. Bruyns!" Me: "Kendra (not her real name), my name is not Mr. Bruyns. My last name starts with an 'N'." 2nd grade girl: "Oh. Well, good morning Mr. Nuyns!" (Mr. Bruyns is a real person who no longer works in our school district)

2nd place: 5th grade boy, coming out of the bathroom: " You DO NOT want to go in there!" (Class starts laughing) "What is so funny? There's a mosquito in there!"

3rd place: "Mr. *****, is passing above a 65, or below a 65???"

As for the thread:

This has been one of the most interesting threads I have read on this forum since joining five months ago. Like many others, I ride alone 99.9999% of the time. In fact, I have only ridden ONCE with another person in my five years of riding - my father - back in October 2014, on a 60 mile round trip along the Lake Ontario State Parkway. I took my wife a couple of times years ago, but after my accident in 2012, she has been slow to get back on. Hard to blame her.

I started riding as a commuter, when gas was $4/gallon. I purchased a 1982 Suzuki GS650 for $475 and put 11,000 miles on it while regularly achieving 48 mpg. It took a year or two before I actually rode a motorcycle for pleasure. Last year, I rode 7,000 miles, with half of it from commuting, and half from riding for fun. Therefore, I know little about the culture of motorcycling. I mean, I see the groups of Harleys roaring by, and the groups of sport bike riders, but until today, I did not realize there were so many who do not ride in groups and didn't realize how complex of a social structure many formal MC's have! I never once thought about joining a club to ride with. Never even passed on my radar.

I am also a snowmobiler, with double the miles on sleds as I have on bikes (not for long). It is a completely different structure than motorcycle clubs, at least as featured in this thread. We have 200+ snowmobile clubs in New York, with about 125,000 registered snowmobiles. I think we are 4th in this number in the US, behind Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan...anyway...Club activities include trail signing, brushing, bushwhacking new trails, grooming in the winter with $200,000 machines, etc. Most clubs have one, maybe two "club rides" per year and they tend to be very family oriented. If you are an active member of a snowmobile club, you probably aren't riding a sled all that often. Completely the opposite as motorcycling.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Just have had it tonight. Enough. Tired of being in a club where the expectations don't materialize. VFW, American Legion, etc... organizations that I have joined and see the true designs of the local "brethren" of the posts that I belong to.

Almost "effed" someone up tonight but my inner being told me to walk away. I did just that. It was hard and but I did it. I will not be "chit" upon... I'm not going to go into details of what happened... but I am actually amazed that I had tolerated what occurred tonight. Maybe old age and sanity are finally kicking in.

I don't display "colors" and have never really went for that. But recently I decided to wear a patch of a local veteran's rider's organization and now I am going to rip it off. It just isn't working for me.

I'm "Lone Wolf'ing" it again. It's the best solace that I can find, and am seemingly comfortable with. Enjoyed the last F6B rally in Franklin N.C and will attend this year's Russelville's Rally. Everyone is unique and contributes. Without an ulterior agenda...

Tell me about your memberships in local motorcycle organizations. The one that I just exorcised myself from tonight; is more interested in fund raising; than riding.
    Will,

I left Legion Riders because they were more interested in doing meals for everyone else than ride anywhere. Post 180 in Milwaukie, OR. will do 2-3 meals a month, wanting riders to volunteer to serve, cook, clean, etc. The only ride they schedule is a group grope to the ocean, ONCE a year. After that, you are lucky to see of more than 2-3 riders come with their bikes! I am with you on joining clubs. I join to ride and have fun doing it. Not to be a busboy or a waiter. I left that outfit and moved on. Right now, there are about 7 F6B riders in the greater Portland, OR. area and we got together on this forum and have started doing rides together. Maybe meet for breakfast and then ride or ride and stop somewhere down the road for lunch. No commitments just making riding the bikes as the priority. So far it is working very nicely. Bunch of great guys I have met here.
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

shooter
    Chuck that sounds like a good group. Some of the guys I ride with their priority is finding a place to stop and get a beer. I don't mind a guy drinking a beer but for me I like to ride. RTE is a good concept as long as their is a good ride involved. Sounds like you have a good thing going.