Mustang seat and Helibars? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mustang seat and Helibars?

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne06 View Post
    Now that I've had the Mustang for a week and put about 200 miles on it, I'm not sure it's for me. So far I find the OEM seat more comfortable. I may end up selling the Mustang if things don't change. I also don't like the fact that the higher peg position causes a more severe bend in my legs since the seat is an inch or so lower. I am hoping some time/miles will help me adjust to those ergonomics, but I didn't enjoy today's ride after about 25 miles.
    Update (FWIW): I purchased the Helibars and am having them installed next Friday at an installer in Brandon Florida recommended by the folks at Helibars. Hopefully this will make the overall ergonomics of the bike fit me better. Otherwise, this has been a very expensive experiment! I want to be able to sit back fully in the Mustang seat and see if that affects the comfort. The Helibars should allow that. If not I will go back to the OEM seat and make a decision....

I have the Helibars on my Harley, and they made a big difference. I am dialed in on that bike!

Update (FWIW): I purchased the Helibars and am having them installed next Friday at an installer in Brandon Florida recommended by the folks at Helibars. Hopefully this will make the overall ergonomics of the bike fit me better. Otherwise, this has been a very expensive experiment! I want to be able to sit back fully in the Mustang seat and see if that affects the comfort. The Helibars should allow that. If not I will go back to the OEM seat and make a decision....

I have the Helibars on my Harley, and they made a big difference. I am dialed in on that bike!
    You will like the Helibars. Yes , they are not cheap, but besides the ergo benefits, they really do stiffen up the feel of the front end.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Airborne6,

I had a mustang seat on one of my older bikes and I didn't like it either. It wasn't as comfortable as the Corbin seats I've had. I know exactly how you feel.

The F6B Corbin seat is appealing, but I'm not uncomfortable enough yet to flip 6 or 7 bills for a replacement seat. Good luck selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    Airborne6,

I had a mustang seat on one of my older bikes and I didn't like it either. It wasn't as comfortable as the Corbin seats I've had. I know exactly how you feel.

The F6B Corbin seat is appealing, but I'm not uncomfortable enough yet to flip 6 or 7 bills for a replacement seat. Good luck selling it.
    Thanks Brew-D!

Thanks Brew-D!
    Be careful listening to personal opinions on your purchase.
    We have sold multiple brands of seats and have used multiple brands of seats on all bikes we have owned.
    We talk to dozens of people a day and a get a lot of questions and feedback on seats.
    Boils down to what you like the feel of and fitment for you. Another big concern is how firm the seat is, we have a Corbin on our Spyder and love it. About 50% of our customers do not like how firm it is, they do like the looks though.
    So it is a personal choice depending on how much you want to spend, looks, fitment for you and firmness among other things. Most seat manufacturers have different styles which are going to fit and feel totally different for the same bike. So making an opinion on one seat brand based on one seat on one bike may not be totally correct.

Quote Originally Posted by rickw View Post
    We have sold multiple brands of seats and have used multiple brands of seats on all bikes we have owned.
    We talk to dozens of people a day and a get a lot of questions and feedback on seats.
    Boils down to what you like the feel of and fitment for you. Another big concern is how firm the seat is, we have a Corbin on our Spyder and love it. About 50% of our customers do not like how firm it is, they do like the looks though.
    So it is a personal choice depending on how much you want to spend, looks, fitment for you and firmness among other things. Most seat manufacturers have different styles which are going to fit and feel totally different for the same bike. So making an opinion on one seat brand based on one seat on one bike may not be totally correct.

+1... exactly !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickw View Post
    +1. Until your person sits on a certain seat, on a certain bike, there is NO WAY of positively knowing if that seat will do right by you or not for that bike..
    Unfortunately, for most males, this goes against our primal instinct of "just buying."

We have to actually go (cue ominous music) shopping!!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

My experience was the same--and different

I liked the Mustang and the way it put me further back---but it also sat me lower. So it had to go as my knees were higher than my hips. I needed the Ultimate King Rider seat to get me up and back which---like you--created an issue reaching the bars. I tried risers and that did not do it alone. So I switched them out for Helibars and that did not do it alone----either. I ended up with risers AND Helibars and an Ultimate king Rider seat.

As much as I love my F6B, this has been the hardest bike I have ever owned when it comes to trying to get it to fit my body size and comfort level. As I read experiences from riders like yourself, it seems like this is a common problem.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    I liked the Mustang and the way it put me further back---but it also sat me lower. So it had to go as my knees were higher than my hips. I needed the Ultimate King Rider seat to get me up and back which---like you--created an issue reaching the bars. I tried risers and that did not do it alone. So I switched them out for Helibars and that did not do it alone----either. I ended up with risers AND Helibars and an Ultimate king Rider seat.

As much as I love my F6B, this has been the hardest bike I have ever owned when it comes to trying to get it to fit my body size and comfort level. As I read experiences from riders like yourself, it seems like this is a common problem.
    I had the Helibars installed on Friday. I still couldn't get ergonomically comfortable with the Mustang seat/Helibars combo. I removed the Mustang this morning, and it is going up for sale as soon as I get around to listing it. I also removed the Rivco highway pegs and am selling them too. I put the stock seat back on. The Helibars and stock seat are better for me than with the Mustang....although I did like the lower position with the Mustang. I am getting some Kuryakyn Ergo II's to replace the Rivco pegs. This bike, for me, is a real challenge to get dialed in.

GaTeach
    And your opinion on the helibars? And the installation?