Watch your mirrors !!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch your mirrors !!!

Watch your mirrors !!!

Was sitting in a left turn lane last night; behind a stack of cars. 1900 hours and it was already dark. Was watching my left mirror and saw a car approaching behind me; at a rate of speed that was concerning me. The driver was not slowing down...

...I had the bike already in gear and moved forward smartly to the right side of the car in front of me.

This IDIOT woman in a P.O.S. car approaching behind me suddenly slam's on her brakes; and screeches/stops in the same spot I just vacated The left turn signal had turned green at just about the same time and the traffic in front of me is starting to move through the left turn, I follow it and continually turn and glance at the IDIOT female of our species... I know she knew she could've killed me back there...

..as I enter the intersection, I make a very wide left turn to get away from her and to get her in front of me. She makes the turn inside of me and is mouthing and gesturing "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" continually. At least she pulled her head out of her ass at the last second back there... so she didn't cream into the vehicle that I was behind.

Watch your mirrors always, when stopped in traffic. Don't look away from them for too long.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

You just a sitting duck

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Was sitting in a left turn lane last night; behind a stack of cars. 1900 hours and it was already dark. Was watching my left mirror and saw a car approaching behind me; at a rate of speed that was concerning me. The driver was not slowing down...

...I had the bike already in gear and moved forward smartly to the right side of the car in front of me.

This IDIOT woman in a P.O.S. car approaching behind me suddenly slam's on her brakes; and screeches/stops in the same spot I just vacated The left turn signal had turned green at just about the same time and the traffic in front of me is starting to move through the left turn, I follow it and continually turn and glance at the IDIOT female of our species... I know she knew she could've killed me back there...

..as I enter the intersection, I make a very wide left turn to get away from her and to get her in front of me. She makes the turn inside of me and is mouthing and gesturing "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" continually. At least she pulled her head out of her ass at the last second back there... so she didn't cream into the vehicle that I was behind.

Watch your mirrors always, when stopped in traffic. Don't look away from them for too long.
    Its scary with all the cell phone user just not paying attention to what they are doing. Driving always requires 100% of your attention and these new devices in the cars and cell phones that require more and more attention of the driver are making stopping and turning on a motorcycle a full time job and you have to have eyes in the back of your head. Luckily we have great mirrors on the F6B and its the only bike I have every had you could back up just using the mirrors.

Glad you were able to get out of the way with no injuries. Watchin' the mirrors is good advice. I'm especially conscious of them when I'm on the beltway down here. Some real idiots out there. Stay safe.

wow...probably intexticated. Glad you were heads up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Angry Driverless.

Quote Originally Posted by DTOM View Post
    wow...probably intexticated. Glad you were heads up
    These car the kind of people who'll be the first to buy driverless cars, they can sit and stare at their device screen and never look up again!
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Superbrights are your friend

I have the led superbrights installed in the tail light. I know, we need to be continually alert regardless and a giant wall of flashing lights and sirens won't stop distracted drivers.

Even though the superbright's flash refreshes every 60 seconds with levers engaged, I'll refresh them manually while stopped when I see someone who looks like they're getting too close too fast.

Will, I thought you had the superbrights installed?

Also glad you avoided catastrophe...well done.

I always watch traffic approaching from behind (and in front of me) while stopped and moving. Your experience illustrates the need to never drop one's guard and to remain vigilant at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I have the led superbrights installed in the tail light. I know, we need to be continually alert regardless and a giant wall of flashing lights and sirens won't stop distracted drivers.

Even though the superbright's flash refreshes every 60 seconds with levers engaged, I'll refresh them manually while stopped when I see someone who looks like they're getting too close too fast.

Will, I thought you had the superbrights installed?

Also glad you avoided catastrophe...well done.
    Thanks.

Yes, I have the a pair of Hyperlights installed (16 LED each) and have them on the permanent flashing mode when the brakes are engaged. If someone is looking ahead; there is NO WAY you can't notice them. They are alarmingly stunning and bright. She had to had been looking at a cell phone or something else.

Also was wearing my high Vis Yellow mesh jacket and my white helmet. I also have those black reflectivel 3M panels on the rear of my saddlebags; which glow white when headlights hit it.

I think that I'm going to do the mod where you install an additional red bulb into the turn signal lenses. So I can get more red light on the back of my bike.

I also have some of that Solas type white/red reflective tape that I'm thinking about applying somewhere... rear and sides of my helmet perhaps.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Cool

Situational awareness.... have a place to go, always keep bike in gear and move when you hear brakes locked up !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

great advice

good to hear you avoided a sure bad accident but your right in saying always check your mirrors cause in today's age people have no respect for the rules of the road....it's always scary to be last in order of march at a stop sign or light.