What grade of gas do you use? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What grade of gas do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    91 to 93 , try and run shell or BP . Over the winter I switch to a ethanol free fuel in all my machines .
    Why only in winter?

When in southern Indiana get the best no alcohol fuel at---

CountryMark! On my last bike the fuel mileage went down hill steadily until it was 15% down. Got two tanks of CountryMark fuel and on the last tank the mileage was back to normal. Forty-six miles to the gallon even with the heavy hand on the throttle. Bike idled better and accelerated better than it had ever. Turns out gas in Louisville has alcohol and another chemical in it to reduce emissions. It makes me wonder how do you reduce emissions while causing higher consumption per mile? The other chemical must be a form of oxygen bearing fuel. I would prefer Nitro-Methane over what ever they are using. A performance enhancer and mileage improver.

http://www.countrymark.com/countryma...d/169/Post/989
    My favorite riding accessory is my LADY.
    I do not care how nice the bike is, I enjoy it more when she is with me.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    The only NON-ethanol gas I can get is premium, hence premium it is (the real answer is ANY grade non-ethanol!) When I can't get nonethanol, I use midgrade. I get violent when I think about the ethanol bullshit, hoax perpetrated on us by the farm lobby and knee-jerk antifossilfuel assholes in washington
    Rick, not sure if Fastrac is in Cooperstown, but around here (Rochester area) the newest Fastrac stations are offering 87 octane ethanol free, for about 30 cents more per gallon than regular 87 with ethanol. That's cheaper than buying their 91 octane ethanol free, which is usually 50 cents more per gallon.

For the record, I run ethanol free fuel in any equipment that has a carburetor (boat, mowers, one of my sleds), but regular 87 with ethanol on any fuel-injected (bike, cars).

I switch over to the ethanol free during the winter months when I'm not using the bikes , The pump gas that contains up to 10% ethanol starts breaking down after 3 months and the ethanol fuel absorbs water , depending on where you buy your fuel is a crap shoot on the tanks you can have water allready absorbed in the fuel and sitting in your tank ... shit fuel thats out there really sucks .
    All my Carburated machines I'm running 100LL Avation fuel works great , its a low lead so is good in anything non fuel injected that has no Cat .

Not worried about octane

I have always worried more about quality. Gas isn't on an even par across the board, some of it is down right garbage, sticking to the quality insures your engine will run right and stay clean thru the fuel system and also increased the longevity over any motor that is running junk for fuel, I stick pretty close to shell, BP, or Mobil.

StarTron

Attachment 17441

I add an ounce of StarTron to every fill-up to keep the ethanol from degrading the elastomers. Costs me an extra $3.00 a fill-up but should certainly pay off in the long run.

I thought I had to run 93 octane but will now switch over to 87 which will now pay for my StarTron additive. Unfortunately, I can't find pure gas near me (in PA) anymore.

Aussie bikes: Honda recommend 95 RON

95 in Australia, as per the Honda manual and sticker.
    I normally run 98RON in my bikes, and its actually easier to find up Nth than 95.
    For the life of me, I dont understand why we have different fuel RON recommendations than US spec. That would be 91 RON here as its the lowest we have.
    Ken
    2015 Blue F6B
    Cairns AUSTRALIA

Quote Originally Posted by BEIST View Post
    Attachment 17441

I add an ounce of StarTron to every fill-up to keep the ethanol from degrading the elastomers. Costs me an extra $3.00 a fill-up but should certainly pay off in the long run.

I thought I had to run 93 octane but will now switch over to 87 which will now pay for my StarTron additive. Unfortunately, I can't find pure gas near me (in PA) anymore.
    +1…I use StarTron in carbureted equipment when not using ethanol-free…and as a fuel stabilizer.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I have always worried more about quality. Gas isn't on an even par across the board, some of it is down right garbage, sticking to the quality insures your engine will run right and stay clean thru the fuel system and also increased the longevity over any motor that is running junk for fuel, I stick pretty close to shell, BP, or Mobil.
    You guys with the Star Tron every fill up and worried about ethanol. Most of your concerns are unfounded. Yeah if its gonna sit in the winter you need something and an additive every five or six tanks will certainly keep the system in good working order. You're paranoid about ethanol and yet that's all we have in MO. It doesn't seem to bother anything. Been using it for years. Most important , like Seadog said , look for quality. Shell , BP , Mobil , Sunoco that's where you will find quality fuel.

There is no way around running ethanol in the fuel , I have a freind that works at the sunoco processing plant in delaware , they stopped cracking fuel over 5 years ago they just buy the cheapest fuel on the market .
    They would blend the ethanol in when filling the trucks , the percent of ethanol would vary . I have removed ethanol from fuel , I got the best results in fuel quallity from shell 93 . I have posted pics in the past on here and you could see all the scum the ethanol picks up .
    That fuel is very hydroscopic , my biggest concern what that fuel soaks up .
    After I separate the ethanol , I run the fuel threw a calcium filtaration and a 1 micron filter .
    Thats way over kill for every day use but makes you think about what station you buy your fuel from .
    As far as the additives I don't think they do anything , I have had my best results adding 2 stroke oil never had a problem .
    As I said any non injected machine gets 100ll and for the 5.50 a gallon its a pretty good alterturnative .