Whats F6 drone?

Thread: Whats F6 drone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My '15 had the drone with the stock exhaust. Even more noticeable with a FF, but still annoying as hell with an open face helmet. And this is with ear plugs. I went with the Torque Loopz and the TBR mufflers, and couldnt be happier with the result.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by gregj View Post
    My '15 had the drone with the stock exhaust. Even more noticeable with a FF, but still annoying as hell with an open face helmet. And this is with ear plugs. I went with the Torque Loopz and the TBR mufflers, and couldnt be happier with the result.
    What actually dissipated the drone? The Torque Loops or the Two Brothers Racing Exhaust? Or does it take a combo of both?

I would like to get rid of the drone as well... I have always stood firm on not touching the exhaust system on this bike; after redoing so many other bikes exhaust systems that I have had.

But... maybe I'll entertain Torque Loops only if by themselves; they will completely negate the drone. They seem such a pain in the ass to install though. And yes.. I am mechanically inclined to do the work... I'm just tired of wrenching on bikes at this point of my life. I want to ride more; than wrench...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

My two cents worth

I test drove the 2014,2015,2016 F6B. The 2015 and the 2016, both with stock systems and stock windshield, had the drone. Love the sound at idle but could not stand it at highway speeds. I do wear a modular helmet.

I ended up buying a new 2014 in May 2016 to avoid the drone. Really wish I had the cruise that come on the later models.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    I test drove the 2014,2015,2016 F6B. The 2015 and the 2016, both with stock systems and stock windshield, had the drone. Love the sound at idle but could not stand it at highway speeds. I do wear a modular helmet.
    Wow, that's interesting to know. I have a '13 and thought maybe I wanted the louder stock pipes. Now, maybe not ....

Good info for us - thanks!
    Albuquerque, NM

My 2013 had no drone at all.
    My 2016 has a mild drone and a much deeper exhaust note. My son says that Honda got it right with that exhaust as he rides with me on his CBR100RR. He loves the exhaust note on the new F6B.

Frankly I like it too.

As a side note I am wearing the same helmet on the 16 that In was wearing on the 13. The exhaust is not offensive and I have already got used to the mild drone.

Beagle

As I said on some earlier posts about the so-called "drone", after going on 4 years with my F6B and Cobra pipes, I have no issues with the exhaust sounds from these pipes. After all folks, this is a flat 6 Honda motor that will never sound like any V-twin period...The older Valkyrie motors had a great sound with the 6-into-6 Cobra or Two Brothers pipes, but had six carbs and a completely different exhaust system. If you want to spend the time and money to chop up the stock system, and hopefully eliminate the "drone" I understand Torq Loopz help, but I do not wish to "mess with success" so to speak and will spend my money elsewhere.....I personally don't feel this "drone" is any big deal and worth changing things that work fine for me....JMHO and ride safe

2016 drone started today with tall OEM windshield

Just got back from the dealer, who installed a Honda 'tall windshield' on my bone stock 2016 Deluxe. I exchanged loud wind noise for a very loud drone on throttle above 2500 rpm. It doesn't sound like exhaust as much as intake noise focused back at the rider. And it completely disappears if I lift.

How different are the F6B intake and exhaust from the Wing's? Are there any reports of a similar drone from any GL1800 except the 15/16 F6B?

My next step is to make a shorty windshield that only adds around 6" to the original. In theory, enough to push the windstream above my helmet, but not enough to focus the drone.