Installing a heated seat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing a heated seat

Installing a heated seat

I am thinking about adding the heated option to my upcoming Russel day long seat build. They supply the seat with leads that go directly to the battery but that will allow it to drain the battery without the key on. My question is, how did you wire yours so a dead battery isn’t possible? I am also wondering if it’s really worth the extra $200. I live in a warm climate and ride year round if I want to. I have a nice firstgear riding suit that will keep me warm but I love my heated grips and can only imagine a heated seat would be nice. What’s your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    I am thinking about adding the heated option to my upcoming Russel day long seat build. They supply the seat with leads that go directly to the battery but that will allow it to drain the battery without the key on. My question is, how did you wire yours so a dead battery isn’t possible? I am also wondering if it’s really worth the extra $200. I live in a warm climate and ride year round if I want to. I have a nice firstgear riding suit that will keep me warm but I love my heated grips and can only imagine a heated seat would be nice. What’s your thoughts?
    Unless you venture into the colder climates... IMHO you don't need a heated seat. Spend your money on something else.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

If you have heated grips and use them then it’s a no brainer. Get the heated seat. I have both and use them. Its all about the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    My question is, how did you wire yours so a dead battery isn’t possible?
    You'll have to install a relay. The seat gets wired to the secondary side of a relay. The primary side of the relay is then wired to "keyed power." Keyed power means that the relay is turned on once the ignition switch is turned to the "on" position. Once the relay is tuned on, it then supplies power to the seat's control switch. For the seat to work, the ignition has to be on, and the seat's control switch must be on.

Often aftermarket seats provide more heat then OEM ones.

If you need to know how relays work, go here. I believe they call the primary side the "input" and the secondary side the "output."

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howrelayswork.html

I ride snowmobiles at -10 degrees without a heated seat by dressing properly. I'm sure you could do the same on a F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    If you have heated grips and use them then it’s a no brainer. Get the heated seat. I have both and use them. Its all about the comfort.
    I can’t agree more!
    I love my heated Corbin, and after the first time you use it you can’t believe that you ever rode without it.

That is one thing I miss from my old wing, is the heated seat. If you get it, I think you will really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I ride snowmobiles at -10 degrees without a heated seat by dressing properly. I'm sure you could do the same on a F6B.
    Agreed, but have you ever ridden a snow machine that has heated grips and seat when it's below zero..heaven..just sayin.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post
    You'll have to install a relay. The seat gets wired to the secondary side of a relay. The primary side of the relay is then wired to "keyed power." Keyed power means that the relay is turned on once the ignition switch is turned to the "on" position. Once the relay is tuned on, it then supplies power to the seat's control switch. For the seat to work, the ignition has to be on, and the seat's control switch must be on.

If you need to know how relays work, go here. I believe they call the primary side the "input" and the secondary side the "output."

I use an FZ-1 Fuzeblock for all my accessories. A few are "always on", others are switched. Yeah, it's extra money, but every accessory is separately fused, easily connected, and the wiring becomes greatly simplified.

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post

I wired my auxiliary electrical toys through an auxiliary fuse panel that is switched by a relay controlled by the Engine Oil Pressure switch. The bike (and alternator) has to be running (not just the ignition switch on) to power these heavy draw items so they don't draw directly from the battery. This is a little extra insurance to prevent a drained battery.