Waterproof seats?

Thread: Waterproof seats?

Waterproof seats?

What after market company makes a waterproof seat? And what could I expect to pay?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    What after market company makes a waterproof seat? And what could I expect to pay?
    Hmmm. I honestly don't know of any that make one that's "water-proof."
    In the south, yeah, we get rain, but the temps and a seat that cannot breath doesn't sound like a fun combination.

My Corbin is leather, and I treat the seams with a water-proof type product from Kiwi.
    Never had an issue, but she doesn't normally sit outside all day/night either so no real place for an issue to develop.

If you have a seat you like, it might easily be less expensive to get a really nice cover or even a small enclosure.
    Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I would think you should pick a seat for comfort, rather than being waterproof. When wearing a rain suit, if riding in the rain, a wet seat shouldn't matter. Just get a small piece of plastic to cover it, when your not riding.

I haven't found a water proof aftermarket seat. I do wonder when one of them will step up and put a Gortex layer in their seat. Gortex has been around for so long it seems like old technology but it sure is water proof and very breathable.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Here's what I THINK I know on OEM vs aftermarket seats...OEM seats incorporate a plastic film under the vinyl which prevents moisture from traveling into the foam. The downside of that is the seat no longer "breathes" and can be uncomfortable in hot weather. Aftermarket seats, OTOH, may use the same or similar premium grade of marine vinyl for the cover but eliminate the underlying plastic vapor barrier. As a result, the seat is more comfortable in hot weather but water can travel through the vinyl into the foam. Often, rain covers are provided with the aftermarket seats. Note: Any seat manufacturers reading this, feel free to correct me if my understanding is in error.
    Ken (Hornblower)