Belly Pan Scraping - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pan Scraping

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    At the risk of if you take a better line there will be less scraping...
    "Outside, Inside, Outside" in curves straightens them out as much as possible. However, that is not always practical - or as much fun.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I know a guy who has put hundreds of thousands of miles on Gold Wings without ever using a belly pan - and he's never had a problem. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I've got a McGyver belly pan on the way.Just wondering if anyone had a similar is issue with that one. I'm buying for the flat lifting surface as much as for the protection. That is why I went with the heavier McGuyver unit.
    I also bought the McGyver BP for the flat surface to lift the bike...works perfectly!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Assuming that you have centerstands,,, what are you folks doing that requires lifting the whole bike?

I have 2 MC jacks left over from the old bikes that haven't been touched since I got the 6,,, A 'regular' Larin and a HF 'high lift',,, both collecting dust now,,,

Granted, I'll place a floor jack under the forward portion of the crank case for stability when working on the front wheel (tire change), but what do y'all do with the bike 'raised up' on the jack?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Assuming that you have centerstands,,, what are you folks doing that requires lifting the whole bike?

I have 2 MC jacks left over from the old bikes that haven't been touched since I got the 6,,, A 'regular' Larin and a HF 'high lift',,, both collecting dust now,,,

Granted, I'll place a floor jack under the forward portion of the crank case for stability when working on the front wheel (tire change), but what do y'all do with the bike 'raised up' on the jack?
    I haven't had to lift it yet. Just got it in July, but how about removal of the rear wheel without laying the bike over on it's side or removing plastic for one. Or how about changing the oil without laying on the floor. I can run through other issues. BTW, I bought a standard, and as of yet have not bought a center stand(Plan to) Just have been busy buying other things. I can think of other work that is simply easier if you bring the bike up to a higher elevation. I probably will get a lift table this next year, but until then, my Craftsman bike jack will do.

Heck with ,my Valkyrie, I often lift it just to polish.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I haven't had to lift it yet. Just got it in July, but how about removal of the rear wheel without laying the bike over on it's side or removing plastic for one. Or how about changing the oil without laying on the floor. I can run through other issues. BTW, I bought a standard, and as of yet have not bought a center stand(Plan to) Just have been busy buying other things. I can think of other work that is simply easier if you bring the bike up to a higher elevation. I probably will get a lift table this next year, but until then, my Craftsman bike jack will do.

Washing / cleaning was why I bought the high lift. Don't need it anymore,,,

I was of the opinion I'd avoid laying the bike over to change the rear tire,,,, until it came time to do it... Just way too darn easy, faster, (and possibly safer) to lay it over than any other way.

Jack the bike up,,, on a jack,,, to change oil? Eh, well,,, if that's what ya want to do,,, I'm sure it can be done that way,,,

The 6 is a dream to change oil on compared to other bikes,,,

Besides, I like laying on the floor,,,, Sometimes I'll take a little nap while I'm down there,,, I have to admit, I'm usually not alone on these adventures,,, Roxy, my dog, usually has to come over and briefly 'supervise' the process,,, 'Hazards' usually consist of big, wet, dog kisses!!! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Washing / cleaning was why I bought the high lift. Don't need it anymore,,,

I was of the opinion I'd avoid laying the bike over to change the rear tire,,,, until it came time to do it... Just way too darn easy, faster, (and possibly safer) to lay it over than any other way.

Jack the bike up,,, on a jack,,, to change oil? Eh, well,,, if that's what ya want to do,,, I'm sure it can be done that way,,,

The 6 is a dream to change oil on compared to other bikes,,,

Besides, I like laying on the floor,,,, Sometimes I'll take a little nap while I'm down there,,, I have to admit, I'm usually not alone on these adventures,,, Roxy, my dog, usually has to come over and briefly 'supervise' the process,,, 'Hazards' usually consist of big, wet, dog kisses!!! LOL!!!
    To each their own, but I don't see why I'd want to lay on the floor when I can sit on my little work chair that scoots around just great. It takes me what 10 to 30 seconds to have my bike in the air at eye level. Sorry, just makes more sense to me. If I had no jack, I could see laying it over on it's side to change the rear wheel, but why? I spend enough time crawling and scooting from high to low in my profession. Why do it at home. I'm a service technician in commercial HVAC-R . I'm a firm believer in tools and proper equipment.

Ya!!! What Jimmy said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I have a Craftsman bike jack that I used, with an adapter, on my Valkyrie. Haven't tried it on the F6. What can you tell me about best placement, etc.? I have an aluminum belly pan that I can't imagine supporting the bike. Must that be removed? Do you strap the bike down on the jack? Any tips you can give me on using this jack would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I also bought the McGyver BP for the flat surface to lift the bike...works perfectly!!!
    Where is the McGyver BP sold?