Ultimate Seat..... - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Seat.....

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Off the shelf, mass-produced, 'one or 2 sizes fit most' seats will never match the comfort of a seat made specifically for you.

Foam densities, dimensions, shapes, etc, all different on one-off 'user specific' seats.

I truly wish I could enjoy an 'off the shelf' seat. Also had an OEM seat 'custom carved' for me by a popular seat modification guy,,, All were better than OEM, yes, but not the best I've ever had.

I can't say for certain that RDL is the only Custom seat manufacturer that works, but it's the only one that has worked for me each and every time.

(Rumor mill has it Russ Meyer and RDL were associated at one time in the past. I believe Russ uses foam only for heavier riders where RDL uses foam and a separate suspension)

I still get a kick out of the aluminum diamond plate seats I see on some Bobbers at the local haunt every now and then! I think I'd rather get smacked in the azz with a cast iron skillet than ride that dayum thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Off the shelf, mass-produced, 'one or 2 sizes fit most' seats will never match the comfort of a seat made specifically for you.

Foam densities, dimensions, shapes, etc, all different on one-off 'user specific' seats.

I truly wish I could enjoy an 'off the shelf' seat. Also had an OEM seat 'custom carved' for me by a popular seat modification guy,,, All were better than OEM, yes, but not the best I've ever had.

I can't say for certain that RDL is the only Custom seat manufacturer that works, but it's the only one that has worked for me each and every time.

(Rumor mill has it Russ Meyer and RDL were associated at one time in the past. I believe Russ uses foam only for heavier riders where RDL uses foam and a separate suspension)

I still get a kick out of the aluminum diamond plate seats I see on some Bobbers at the local haunt every now and then! I think I'd rather get smacked in the azz with a cast iron skillet than ride that dayum thing!!!

Russ and Rocky Meyer's dad is the one who invented the RDL saddle. There was a, let's say, disagreement, amongst the brothers after dad's death, and both made seats. RDL is the only one who can make the type they do.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Russ and Rocky Meyer's dad is the one who invented the RDL saddle. There was a, let's say, disagreement, amongst the brothers after dad's death, and both made seats. RDL is the only one who can make the type they do.
    Sounds like I wasn't too far off! Thanks for the added info!

It's been a few years since I thought about the Mayers, so I had to reinvestigate. Bill Mayer invented the day long saddle, sold the business in the mid eighties to Russell, had a five year non compete. Started building seats again but using foam alone, as opposed to the day long saddle. Bill Mayer Saddles is owned by Bill's son Rocky. Rick Mayer builds seats too. I think both are of similar design. I don't know who builds the better seat between the two sons, because I have only had the Russell, the best seat IMHO, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    It's been a few years since I thought about the Mayers, so I had to reinvestigate. Bill Mayer invented the day long saddle, sold the business in the mid eighties to Russell, had a five year non compete. Started building seats again but using foam alone, as opposed to the day long saddle. Bill Mayer Saddles is owned by Bill's son Rocky. Rick Mayer builds seats too. I think both are of similar design. I don't know who builds the better seat between the two sons, because I have only had the Russell, the best seat IMHO, bar none.
    hiflyer...you are the closest to being correct...so..I will just award the prize to you.

The facts are...Bill Mayer was the inventor of what we all today call the Russell Day-Long saddle. Many years ago, Bill Mayer sold the company and patents to Don & Donna Russell. They changed the name to be the Russell Day-Long saddle. The non-compete clause was for 20 years...not 5 years. After the 20 years had expired...Bill started to make seats again, and you are right, they were just a foam seat...not the suspension system that Russell uses. That patent is still owned by the RDL company. A few years after that, Don Russell died, and the company was run solely by Donna Russell, and all her workers. Then RICK Mayer and ROCKY Mayer got into the seat building business. Rick Mayer used to be a surgical heart nurse, and he used his knowledge from the operating room to make decisions on what densities of foam to use. Rick Mayer Cycles is located in Anderson, Cal, about 10 miles south of Redding, Cal. Rocky Mayer's company...called the Bill Mayer seats...is located in Ojai, Cal.

Then...Bill Mayer died, and the two brothers had a falling out. There is no doubt that Rick Mayer builds a better seat than his brother Rocky. Both have been sponsors of the IronButt Association over time, on and off. Rick Mayer Cycles continues to be a growing business, and he builds a lot of seats. Rocky's company...Bill Mayer seats, has faded over the last 10 years, and little is heard from him anymore, although he still makes a living building seats.

After a few years of running the business on her own, Donna Russell sold the business to Terry Bradford, and he moved the company from Fall River Mills, Cal. to where it is now, in Shasta Lake City, Cal, about 7 miles north of Redding, Cal.

To date...Russell Day-Long saddles is the only company that can and will build a seat that uses the internal suspension system. At the start of any IronButt Rally...the 11,000 miles in 11 days Rally, at least 80 % of the bikes in the parking lot will have a Russell Day-Long saddle on them, and for good reason.

As hiflyer stated...the best seat ...bar none.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    I found my ultimate seat ......

I loved my Ultimate

The only thing I miss about the bike I sold to get the F6B was the Ultimates seat.
    I had hurt my tail bone on the stock seat of my Royalstar and for a year I had trouble sitting in a chair, let alone ride my motorcycle. I spent what seemed like crazy money ($1000) on a new seat, the Ultimate Midrider with rider's backrest. It was wonderful.

Last weekend I saw my old bike and litterally ran over to it to park my butt on that seat again. It was sweet!
    I went home and called Dez at Ultimate. He said the Midrider should be ready for production in 2 weeks. I'm sure with the size of our seats the new one won't be inexpensive.

Another thing about the Ultimate is they make their own pans, so they don't require your stock seat. You can alway go back to the original configuration. AND a 2 week return policy, if you don't like it, send it back.

Of course I just found out how expensive it is to ship one of our seats.... I understand a Corbin is 15 lbs heavier than our stock seat, but to ship from CT to NC by FED EX was $157 and change. OUCH! It cost Corbin $65 to ship it to me from California.
    I probably could have save a bunch by not using Corbin's Packaging. More bubble wrap and a smaller box would have been cheaper.

Cool New Seats

It's becoming a trend:Attachment 2589

Also, a new seat for 2,000 mile days, now there is no need to stop!Attachment 2590

A hell raiser inspired seat: Attachment 2591

And of course the always popular hammock style! Attachment 2592

...I had a Russell on my gs1200 and I did 500 mile days all the way to Alaska with
    no trouble at all........I must admit I miss that seat more than the bike which I loved.

but dude 2,000 mile days...?

I like being comfortable on the bike so will look into a Day Long over my long time fav Ultimate. But anything over 500 mile days for me defeats the purpose of riding a bike, which is to ENJOY the ride and freedom to just cruise along and enjoy the scenery. Doing marathon rides from point A to point B at 80-90 MPH on the freeway is not my idea of fun, you get to see nothing except your start and end points. I took 21 days to get across Canada, camping out and taking any road that looked like it might be interesting, meeting nice people and getting suggestions on what NOT to miss. I did the same on a back and forth trip coast to coast, staying OFF the damn freeways as much as possible, and averaging 200-300 miles a day for 5 weeks...... now that is the way to enjoy riding. Piling on the miles just for the sake of making your odometer spin is a real shame, as you miss so much as you zoom past. Take time to smell the roses.