Put together my F6B "Tool Kit" today - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Put together my F6B "Tool Kit" today

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    I put mine together, too:

$49 per year, covers me on any vehicle I ride or drive (even ones I rent or borrow). Really easy to pack, too...
    I have that too.

But I could plug a flat tire and be on my way quicker, or replace a blown fuse, or jump off a dead battery... than be sitting around waiting for a tow truck

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

The reason I liked the Cruz Tools

I bought it on a sale $75 and change and it doesn't take up a lot of room Plus it only had the tools in it that you would need and nothing extra you don't need. Attachment 22861

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I bought it on a sale $75 and change and it doesn't take up a lot of room Plus it only had the tools in it that you would need and nothing extra you don't need. Attachment 22861
    That seems to be an adequate tool kit for our F6B's.

Have you actually used the "Stop n Go" tire repair kit as of yet? I had one on other bikes (past and recently present) and carried it forever, but have always used the string plug kits (like the one pictured in my original post). When pushing in a plug, you really are going to want a good handle to assist you. The force required can be tremendous; excaperated by the fact that you are laying down next to the tire, and it can be tough to get a good approach while you are in a contorted prone position alongside the bike.

Earlier this year I emptied the CO2 canisters and ditched the kit. While the science behind the tool and plug is workable, it was more involved with trying to get their special plug loaded into the tool and inserted into the tread.... and less complication is more appreciated while you are addressing a tubeless flat motorcycle tire, while away from home base

Been there, done it.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I plug a car tire with it

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    That seems to be an adequate tool kit for our F6B's.

Have you actually used the "Stop n Go" tire repair kit as of yet? I had one on other bikes (past and recently present) and carried it forever, but have always used the string plug kits (like the one pictured in my original post). When pushing in a plug, you really are going to want a good handle to assist you. The force required can be tremendous; excaperated by the fact that you are laying down next to the tire, and it can be tough to get a good approach while you are in a contorted prone position alongside the bike.

Earlier this year I emptied the CO2 canisters and ditched the kit. While the science behind the tool and plug is workable, it was more involved with trying to get their special plug loaded into the tool and inserted into the tread.... and less complication is more appreciated while you are addressing a tubeless flat motorcycle tire, while away from home base

Been there, done it.
    On the car, and it was very easy to get the plug into the tire, and you must have a pair of pliers to tighten the plug back against the inside of the tire and something sharp to cut off the excess. Are you sure you have use that Stop and Go plug kit. Its as easy as anything out there for plugging a nail or small bolt hole. I opted for the kit without the CO2 canisters for the reason that if the hole in the tire is hard to find you can burn up all your canisters trying to find it. That why the small slime compressor comes into use to find the leak. Obviously the stop and go plug kit would be good for a sliced tire but of course most kits aren't.

On the car, and it was very easy to get the plug into the tire, and you must have a pair of pliers to tighten the plug back against the inside of the tire and something sharp to cut off the excess. Are you sure you have use that Stop and Go plug kit. Its as easy as anything out there for plugging a nail or small bolt hole. I opted for the kit without the CO2 canisters for the reason that if the hole in the tire is hard to find you can burn up all your canisters trying to find it. That why the small slime compressor comes into use to find the leak. Obviously the stop and go plug kit would be good for a sliced tire but of course most kits aren't.
    Your post above confuses me Seadog;

1. The canisters (CO2) are to air up the tire after you have plugged the hole; they are not to be used to find the hole.

2. You can't plug a sliced tire Seadog.

3. What are you drinking tonight? I want some

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Not Drinking anything

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Your post above confuses me Seadog;

1. The canisters (CO2) are to air up the tire after you have plugged the hole; they are not to be used to find the hole.

2. You can't plug a sliced tire Seadog.

3. What are you drinking tonight? I want some
    If you don't have the air compressor and you just bought the Stop and Go tire plugging kit with the CO2 canisters and if you can't immediately find the air leak, how are you going to find it without burning up a few of the canister of CO2? What I said was I opted for the kit without the CO2 canisters for that reason and bought the small slime compressor to help find a leak that wasn't immediately obvious and yes if the slice isn't too long you can put enough in it to slow the air loss but if its a good size one you are definitely waiting for the wrecker to come and save you.
    I didn't type that out right in thread #14 I meant to type that the Stop and Go Plugging kit wouldn't be good for plugging a slice in the tire.

If you don't have the air compressor and you just bought the Stop and Go tire plugging kit with the CO2 canisters and if you can't immediately find the air leak, how are you going to find it without burning up a few of the canister of CO2? What I said was I opted for the kit without the CO2 canisters for that reason and bought the small slime compressor to help find a leak that wasn't immediately obvious and yes if the slice isn't too long you can put enough in it to slow the air loss but if its a good size one you are definitely waiting for the wrecker to come and save you.
    I didn't type that out right in thread #14 I meant to type that the Stop and Go Plugging kit wouldn't be good for plugging a slice in the tire.
    In my experience, I have seen the cause of the leak (foreign object embedded) in tire.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

My reasoning behind that

I had a piece of glass work its way thru one of my tires on a 750 Honda I use to own and it gave me fits trying to find what was leaking. I didn't have an air compressor back then and filling the tire at the gas station revealed no instant location on the leak. I finally had to take the tire off and submerge it in water and even then it took time to locate it. Obviously a nail or a small screw or bolt is pretty easy to find but a small nail in a board that you ran over can be a challenge to locate. the small slime air compressor is definitely the way to go over CO2 canisters. At least you have a constant air supply to help locate the breach.

I had a piece of glass work its way thru one of my tires on a 750 Honda I use to own and it gave me fits trying to find what was leaking. I didn't have an air compressor back then and filling the tire at the gas station revealed no instant location on the leak. I finally had to take the tire off and submerge it in water and even then it took time to locate it. Obviously a nail or a small screw or bolt is pretty easy to find but a small nail in a board that you ran over can be a challenge to locate. the small slime air compressor is definitely the way to go over CO2 canisters. At least you have a constant air supply to help locate the breach.
    I agree. I never said that using CO2 canisters in that kit was a good thing. Why are we discussing that?

I gotta get a roll of duct tape for my "tool kit"...

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Thanks Will,
    I appreciate you laying out the tools and listing them. It gives us a nice base line to either add to or subtract from. Good one!
    Albuquerque, NM