2 questions for those with a Garmin ZUMO GPS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 questions for those with a Garmin ZUMO GPS

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    This works for sure on a 665, it is how mine is wired. I can't speak to the 550 as I have never used one.
    OK good to know. I had it all organized in my head, just never wanted the GPS audio so I didn't connect it. I'm hoping for the 550 users their cradle comes with audio out as well.....

@stepbill: "I enjoy just getting on my bike and ridding and then using the GPS to get me back home".

C'mon now fess up, you're not lost. You just want to keep on riding. :-)
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
    stepbill, I also have the Zumo 550...and mine is hardwired into the bike. You can wire the GPS to listen to the voice directions so that it can be heard through helmet speakers...done via blue-tooth...or wired via a GPS/Intercom unit from Sierra Electonics. But I do not know of a way to route the voice directions through the external speakers of the bike.

For hardwiring the GPS, it is so simple, it is NOT funny, so don't laugh

Under the LEFT side pocket (left side of the fairing, the pocket that has the spring-loaded lid on it), once you remove that entire pocket, there is a 12v source there, inside the clear rubber boot. The connector for that power cource is a RED connector. In my case, I used the Y connector, or splitter, so I could connect to that RED power source connector...split the power...and then feed both my GPS and my Valentine One radar detector. You can use the power cord from Garmin, wire it into a female connector that will snap into the RED male connector that the bike comes with under that left pocket, and then route the Garmin power wire up to your GPS.

This is were I have mine located, and wired to: (things have been changed since the lightning strike, but you get the idea)

Attachment 4043
    Good description. So if the RED is the power, where do I ground to? (I'm assuming that both connections in the RED block are hot.)

Y splitter

You mentioned using a y splitter below and I am wondering where you got it from as I am looking for one as well and I don't want to cut and splice wires on my nice new bike.

In my case, I used the Y connector, or splitter, so I could connect to that RED power source connector...split the power...and then feed both my GPS and my Valentine One radar detector.

Quote Originally Posted by jaygollner View Post
    You mentioned using a y splitter below and I am wondering where you got it from as I am looking for one as well and I don't want to cut and splice wires on my nice new bike.

In my case, I used the Y connector, or splitter, so I could connect to that RED power source connector...split the power...and then feed both my GPS and my Valentine One radar detector.
    www.electricalconnection.com splitter is $15 I believe and is plug and play to the power socket (hitachi plugs on all ends)

I hard wired mine to the fuse block/keyed acc.... and yes Blue Tooth into my helmet or other Blue tooth device like a LG Tone....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

thanks

www.electricalconnection.com splitter is $15 I believe and is plug and play to the power socket (hitachi plugs on all ends)
    Thanks for the info, now all I have to do is find a suitable handlebar outlet and I will be in business.

Yes, this is where I got it from and they are great folks that sell great products.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

I installed the Zumo 300 today, using a Ram mount attached to the clutch reservoir. I used Cruiseman's YouTube video as a guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAhXN2-9cHs. At the 3:40 mark he shows you how to connect the two wires to the fuse block. Prior to this he shows how to remove the side panels and trim to route the wire. With the Zumo 300 I had to route the wire from the battery to the handlebars.