Another close call DEER!!!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another close call DEER!!!!!

Happy u missed. Deer love to watch modulated headlights. I have bagged two deer with GL1800's and I will not use modulated headlights again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    I'm with you. It certainly can't hurt. I have mine mounted under the fairing but protruding a little like the instructions said. I wouldn't want to install them wrong.
    Mike, make cure you CLEAN the intake ports of the deer whistles once in awhile. They tend to get bugs up inside them.
    I have hit a deer square on in February 1985, and totaled out a 1985 FLHT-P. Then avoided a deer in March 1989, while I was riding a '89 FLHT-C, and in avoiding it, hit a riased up Chevy 4x4 pickup...head on. The deer in that case was struck and killed by the 3rd pickup behind this Chevy. After that I ran deer whistles for many years.

Glad u missed the deer !! I am going to get a whistle for my bike I hadn't even thought of it for some reason and we are ate up with bear and deer.

Glad your ok!
    "Ride Shiny Side Up"

1977 I was a 18 yr old kid ridin a yami rd350 like I stole it thru my hometown at night and a drunk dude stepd right out in front of me from between 2 parkd trucks, all I had time to do was put my throttle arm in front of my face and head, hit him and saw his face as he was flyin over me I went down on my leftside, broke my collarbone and road rashd my whole left side, got up with my arm dangling like a limp noodle and hobbled over to the curb and sat down, here comes this drunk dumbass walkin up the street and he only had a big bump on his forehead, he walked up to me and said "hey buddy you ok?" In lots of pain I looked at him and said
    "You better get on the other side of the street before I beat you with my good arm!"
    The poor little yami was trashed.
    Most of you probably know this so excuse me for stating the obvious, but if a critter 4 legged or 2 legged is in front of you and you think collision is unavoidable do not lean the bike to try to avoid it because if u hit it with the bike leaned your goin down, keep the bike straight up and get as much brake as possible.

No better than being hit by a left turning mini van..
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Same But Different

I had a similar incident in 1975 only the drunk was in a car.. I hit her so hard my bike stuck in the side of her car like a torpedo. I had full leathers on and, of course, a helmet. My hands were lacerated right through my leather gloves but I was more fortunate than you were and had no major injuries. A cop on a bicycle witnessed the debacle and had little sympathy for the drunk who was screaming at me about what I had done to her car. If I could have gotten to my feet I would still be in prison.

Any recommendations on a deer whistle or a link to one? All I see locally look like plain old plastic junk.

Deer Harvest?

I don't think the hunters are keeping up with the deer population. Tonight on the way home from work (exactly 2 years, two days, 0 hours from cutting my last deer in half) 3 deer crossed in front of me and only my lightning quick reflexes (sorry for the pun Miles) and/or the wonderful linked brakes on the F6B saved my bacon (or venison) by slowing just enough to miss the second and pass in front of the third! Just a reminder we are in the "Rut" season my friends. This time I did have deer alerts which is maybe why I made it? But in all the miles and years I have ridden (can't mention numbers exactly because it seems to offend some) but take my word for it, it is a bunch, I had never even come close to a "hit" until 2 years ago. I have lived and ridden in just about every deer infested place too. What's up!

To many does! People need to take more does! I take my fair share here on my farm in central IL, I have let plenty of bucks live, big corn fed bucks! My freezer is stocked all year! Even if ya dont like to eat them you should hunt them and kill as many as ya can and donate the meat.