Space too cramped for downshifting?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Space too cramped for downshifting?

Space too cramped for downshifting?

When watching some YouTube videos about the F6b, one in particular gave it an awesome reveiw, other than what he felt was a dealbreaker. He said that the space around the gear shift lever is so tight that he was unable to get his boot toe over the shifter for smooth downshifts. Was this just this one reviewer, or is this a common concern with F6b owners?

Was his name Shaq?
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    When watching some YouTube videos about the F6b, one in particular gave it an awesome reveiw, other than what he felt was a dealbreaker. He said that the space around the gear shift lever is so tight that he was unable to get his boot toe over the shifter for smooth downshifts. Was this just this one reviewer, or is this a common concern with F6b owners?
    If your are...

.. then yes; you will have a problem.

Not a common issue with the rest of us.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

The YouTube review is by "AK47's". Glad to hear from some of you that this is not likely going to be a problem for someone my size (5'8", 29 inch inseam). I think I am only a demo ride away from buying an F6b. I demo rode a Triumph Trophy recently and really tried to convince myself that I liked this bike. But the seating is just a bit too sporty for my old bones, and part of me wishes to return to the Honda fold. But I think a key part will be how my wife likes the passenger accomodations since most of my riding is two up. She's comfortable on my Triumph Thunderbird right now but I am hoping that with a decent windscreen she will like the F6b, with its nice large pillion, even more.

shooter
    It is tighter than most bikes. I can see where if you have a size '13' that it could be a little cramped. I wear an 11 and its doable. It helps to have a low profile boot instead if a big clunky one.

I have size 12 feet and have absolutely no problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

73 Yamaha RD350
    74 Suzuki GT750
    75 Kawasaki 500
    75 Honda GL1000
    95 Honda GL1500 Interstate
    13 Honda GL1800 F6B - Red Standard

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeken47 View Post
    I have size 12 feet and have absolutely no problems.
    I wear a 13 and have no issues.

Size 15 boot here and with a few simple mods I have no problems up or down shifting, like the Kury drop mounts and Kinetic pegs

you can read all about it here http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6...netic-footpegs

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    The YouTube review is by "AK47's". Glad to hear from some of you that this is not likely going to be a problem for someone my size (5'8", 29 inch inseam). I think I am only a demo ride away from buying an F6b. I demo rode a Triumph Trophy recently and really tried to convince myself that I liked this bike. But the seating is just a bit too sporty for my old bones, and part of me wishes to return to the Honda fold. But I think a key part will be how my wife likes the passenger accomodations since most of my riding is two up. She's comfortable on my Triumph Thunderbird right now but I am hoping that with a decent windscreen she will like the F6b, with its nice large pillion, even more.
    Do yourself a favor and upgrade the backrest if you can before you get her on the bike. That butt chock was almost a deal killer until I upgraded with the extender bracket and a larger pad.
    Its only two bolts so I take it off when shes not riding.
    Oh yeah...and that "not able to downshift" thing is BS

The shape of the boot

I have a pair of boot that don't work on the F6B in stock form, they have a kind of bulbous rounded toe and refuse to go under the shifter. Now my square toe boots work just fine on the F6B, I have not changed anything as far as foot pegs, all is in stock form