gps - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gps

I have mine mounted to my Madstad base shield. I drilled holes for the square ram mount and then used 1/4" well nuts to mount the ram ball to the under side of the base shield. Just normal RAM configuration out from there. Puts it dead center and just a quick glance down from where my eyes already are. It essentially gave me the farkle shelf setup without having a windbender.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    I have mine mounted to my Madstad base shield. I drilled holes for the square ram mount and then used 1/4" well nuts to mount the ram ball to the under side of the base shield. Just normal RAM configuration out from there. Puts it dead center and just a quick glance down from where my eyes already are. It essentially gave me the farkle shelf setup without having a windbender.
    Hi F6BPDX,
    I have the same windshield. Do you have a picture of your setup with the GPS ?

Power supply question

I have been searching through the threads and am having a hard time finding a good way to get power to my handlebar mounted GPS, I put the aux plug in the left hatch but it appears that I will have to cut the seal on the hatch door to route a cable to the GPS. I am thinking that if I could find a Y power adapter that could power the hatch outlet and one on the handlebars that would be good, but I have been unable to find anything so far. If anybody would like to provide a little guidance as to sources for cables and maybe a good option for a handlebar outlet that will not interfere with the clutch mounted ram mount I would love to hear about it or see some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by jaygollner View Post
    I have been searching through the threads and am having a hard time finding a good way to get power to my handlebar mounted GPS, I put the aux plug in the left hatch but it appears that I will have to cut the seal on the hatch door to route a cable to the GPS. I am thinking that if I could find a Y power adapter that could power the hatch outlet and one on the handlebars that would be good, but I have been unable to find anything so far. If anybody would like to provide a little guidance as to sources for cables and maybe a good option for a handlebar outlet that will not interfere with the clutch mounted ram mount I would love to hear about it or see some photos.
    Call the guys over at http://www.electricalconnection.com They will make you whatever you need, and have plenty of options for the fairing plug. I believe my splitter cost me $15.

Quote Originally Posted by jaygollner View Post
    Rather than cut through the seal on the left cubby hatch, I drilled a hole about 1/2" wide through the top of the lid (near the edge but away from the lips & seal). It's just big enough for the small end of the GPS power plug to pass through. When I'm not using the power outlet, I have a plastic trim cap that snaps into the hole. It blends in well enough that it's hard to notice. I mounted the GPS via a RAM mount on the side of the center section where the ignition key goes.

Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan View Post
    Rather than cut through the seal on the left cubby hatch, I drilled a hole about 1/2" wide through the top of the lid (near the edge but away from the lips & seal). It's just big enough for the small end of the GPS power plug to pass through. When I'm not using the power outlet, I have a plastic trim cap that snaps into the hole. It blends in well enough that it's hard to notice. I mounted the GPS via a RAM mount on the side of the center section where the ignition key goes.
    I am going to give that some serious thought, it looks like I will be wandering the aisles of the local hardware store tomorrow. And thanks for the input.

I run my power line to the GPS thru the headset wire slot next to the left glove box. I do not use my headset, so I removed the headset and placed it under the glove box. But if your GPS wire is not too big, you can run it with the headset wire. I did it on my 2012 GL1800.
    2014 F6B Deluxe - Yellow

For what it's worth, I wired my GPS to my right handlebar (attached to the brake reservoir with a RAM mount) using the heated glove electrical connection under the right lid.......there is a hot wire and a ground (be sure to check them with a volt meter), that provides power to the right and left grip heaters. Then ran the wire up the handlebars. I don't have the heated grips so I didn't need the connection anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbasan View Post
    Hi F6BPDX,
    I have the same windshield. Do you have a picture of your setup with the GPS ?
    Sorry it took so long, but yes here they are: