KURY ERGO II PEGS LEAD TO SORE TAILBONE

Thread: KURY ERGO II PEGS LEAD TO SORE TAILBONE

KURY ERGO II PEGS LEAD TO SORE TAILBONE

The title kind of says it all. I have owned my F6B for three years and have logged over 30,000 kms. on it and just yesterday decided to install the Kuryakyn Ergo ii with 6" arms and dually ISO pegs. The arms were installed flat or parallel to the cylinder heads and ground. I rode 626 kms., much of it using the new pegs. Not only was it painful getting off the bike but my tailbone was so sore for hours afterward just to sit on a chair or couch. I have the stock seat and have never had this issue with the stock pegs. I think what is happening is my weight rides more on my tailbone because my legs are elevated by the pegs. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do to prevent it? I suppose a gel pad or some other soft seat pad might help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Exploring the world, one road at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
    The title kind of says it all. I have owned my F6B for three years and have logged over 30,000 kms. on it and just yesterday decided to install the Kuryakyn Ergo ii with 6" arms and dually ISO pegs. The arms were installed flat or parallel to the cylinder heads and ground. I rode 626 kms., much of it using the new pegs. Not only was it painful getting off the bike but my tailbone was so sore for hours afterward just to sit on a chair or couch. I have the stock seat and have never had this issue with the stock pegs. I think what is happening is my weight rides more on my tailbone because my legs are elevated by the pegs. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do to prevent it? I suppose a gel pad or some other soft seat pad might help.
    Move around, as much as you can on a bike, frequently, change positions, put more weight on one cheek than the other by shifting part of one side off the saddle more. If you get a gel seat, I found that putting a gel seat a little further forward than one might, to allow your tailbone to hang off the back of the pad works well. Keeps the blood flowing to that area by not letting the circulation get cut off from sitting on it.

Thanks Elroy. I plan to look into some kind of seat pad. My buddy told me to get one of those donuts for people suffering from hemorrhoids.

How tall are You? How do you have the arms adjusted?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://hondaf6b.com/image.php?u=3965&type=sigpic&dateline=1471132754

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    How tall are You? How do you have the arms adjusted?
    I'm 5' 10" and the arms are exactly horizontal. I just ordered the large AirHawk R seat pad which should take the pressure off my tailbone. I tried a smaller foam pad yesterday, rode about a 100 miles and had no pain at all. Problem solved.

Highway pegs

Have never had highway pegs on a bike so I can't attest to them. Owned a Boulevard a few bikes back, that was a fun bike. Good build quality with nice components. That bike only lasted about a year and a half. Handlebar placement wasn't bad but the forward foot controls killed my tailbone ! Only an hour or two of riding and it would take me a couple minutes to stand up straight after getting off. I actually never had back pain after getting off my recently sold
    VFR 1200f . Feet directly under hips with a not too aggressive lean forward, legs supported the hips well and forced your back to stay straight with the forward lean ; very comfortable for long distance. So far the "B" feels like sitting in my big leather recliner. Have the stock seat, this thing is huge. May eventually get something that rolls my hips a little forward . I actually love the position on the stock full Goldwing seat.

Hi Islander;

Don't know how much you like the new pegs, but I would take them off and go back to riding more straight up and pain free as before. But that's just me...YMMV.

WEG

Quote Originally Posted by WEGI View Post
    Hi Islander;

Don't know how much you like the new pegs, but I would take them off and go back to riding more straight up and pain free as before. But that's just me...YMMV.

WEG
    I spend a month every summer touring North America and the highway pegs give me a chance periodically to stretch my legs. I have found them very comfortable on long stretches on the slab. I recently invested in the AirHawk inflatable seat pad and this has totally solved the problem for me.

This might work

Sounds like you need to adjust the pegs. They can be a bit tricky to get them "just right." It's not a one size fits all deal.
    I've had a bad back for 30+ years. PT's & Dr.'s tell me to keep my knees slightly above my hips when sitting, driving or riding. I suggest you start there. Remember angle of your feet / toes is also very important. I ride with my toes in a relaxed & a natural position, not pointing up too much or forward / down.
    Also remember to change position back & forth between the two sets of pegs. At a safe speed, you can also stand up on the pegs for a few seconds, like on a dirt bike. You get some air in your jeans & cools your butt. Give the above a try, might work.

Obviously what works for some does not for others....I guess that is why the good Lord made us all different sizes and shapes...I have had 3 different types/sets of rider pegs on my last 3 bikes...I have never been able to ride using them for very long no matter how I adjusted them..The two bikes I had with floorboards worked the best on longer rides, but now as I get older, and my knees get a little tired, I just hang my legs down from the seat for a few minutes and then go back to the stock pegs on the F6B..Good luck and I hope you find a solution.....Back issues "suck", I speak from experience....Ride safe