Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. - Page 5

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?

Voters
596. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always wear one!

476 79.87%
  • I sometimes wear one!

93 15.60%
  • I never wear one!

27 4.53%
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

If you quote the gov'ts statistics you believe the disinformation of people who don't want motorcycles on the road.

They also state that helmets prevent fatalities in 37% of accidents which puts the lie to everything else they say.
    We are also supposed to believe that a helmet in which you can easily see the dark outline of the front aperture doesn't restrict your vision and putting a laminated shell packed with foam over your ears doesn't hinder your hearing. FANTASTIC!!!

Helmet choice is the issue and I know 1%ers who CHOOSE to wear a full face helmet. They just don't want Nanny gov't mandating any more restrictions. I for one do wear a full face for distance and inclement weather but prefer to be able to go uncovered when I'm putting thru town so I can see and hear better (denied to me by the Nanny in the State House).

ANY reduction of awareness reduces your survival factor on a motorcycle. Check out the granny with the green plastic behind her glasses going home from the optometrist with dialated eyes (one of which turned in front of me from a thru-only lane).

I also own a half helmet and a beanie for appropriate occasions.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    My chances for survival were greatly improved when my helmet kept my mellon from splattering all over the rear end of a truck. (In-town on a lazy Sunday evening, about 40 mph.)

One of the wife's Boss's hit a bus in Galveston at LSRally last year. Half helmet. After he was released from the hospital, he didn't care much for eatin' soup for months while his jaws were wired shut, but he's back on solid food now.

We all have reasons for what we do. Can't expect them to all be the same.

I will never understand the idea of wearing a helmet on the highway, but then not wearing one when riding around town. The possibility of an accident is MUCH higher when riding around town. Especially close to home. A car running a red light doesn't care that you can see or hear better when it t-bones you.

On the subject of 1% riders wearing full face helmets, the ones I know wear them for protection of their identity, not their cranium.

I forgot this wasn't a debate thread. Sorry. I live in a state where helmets are a choice and I choose to wear one also. I was in an accident while riding around town, close to home and at slow speed. Still bounced my head off the pavement. Spent the night in the hospital but was lucky. I don't want to do that again.

Government facts might be wrong so I guess we'll never know the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Odd note,,, A couple years ago, I was on my way to a MSF course,,, Sport bike passed me at 80+ mph (in a 65). I recognized the bike/riding jacket,,,

It was our Instructor!
    One call to MSF would have stopped that crap, or he wouldn't be an instructor anymore!
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

It was a 'safe' pass, as far as other vehicles involved/amount of traffic on the road. It was on beltway 8, which averages 3 lanes wide,, he had a clear lane, but he 'wasn't letting any moss grow on his wheels', lets say!!!!

I mentioned it to another instructor off to the side at break time (as I was grinning ) He was a Sport rider as well and his response was "Speed doesn't kill" (I think that position could be debatable! LOL!)

Everything in the class itself was about safety/proper riding. The Instructor who passed me was a former cop, so he probably has a little,,, "do as I say, not as I do" blood in his veins,,

Not just the pass (that was rude enough).. the fact if he wasn't wearing all his gear.

When you become an MSF Instructor, you sign a code of conduct letter. A couple of the items on there are to always ride with all of your gear on, regardless of what state you're in, as well as the conduct you present the public when you're on your bike.

So, how could you tell what gear he was (or wasn't) wearing by my post? All I said was I recognized his jacket,,,

No, I said if. The first statement, his behavior, is enough to get him counceled by MSF.. As instructors, we have to set the example, no matter what our past has been.

Stop the bus, I want off,,,

I have no desire to kick any one personally who is a MSF instructor..... but I can only laugh that once you pass a course, ( in FL ) after never getting out of second gear qualifies you for a motorcycle license is insane. There are two things that grade your ability to ride a bike... slow speed in a parking lot type area and twisty's. I know a lot of people here in FL. who have over 35 years of experience and have absolutely no ideal how to ride a bike, other than straight down the road, period!. God forbid anything happens in front of them because they can not do anything about it. And having heard of counter steering or evasive maneuvers in a class has almost no value. I just read a story in a bike magazine where a guy came to FL. to ride, found out what a heat index of 115 and 100% humidity feels like and did not ride until the winter. ATGATT is better than MOTGMOTT... but some gear is better than none. I am a true believer that when it is you time , it is your time no matter what!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com