New Tires and a Puzzling Discovery
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Tires and a Puzzling Discovery

New Tires and a Puzzling Discovery

So it was time for a new pair of shoes my F6B. I was considering putting Avon Cobras on ,but this is my first tire change on the F6B and I really didn't have any complaints about the Stones that came on it. So I went to my dealer who is just a couple miles from my house. I asked the parts guy what he could get me a set for. I told him what I could get them for from Wingstuff. He beat the price and I got the set for $310. Had them put on last Friday and I rode it home in pouring down rain for those 2 miles. Hadn't had a chance to ride her. It rained all weekend. Well tonight I rode her. This is where the puzzling discovery comes in. No more famous 40 mph front end wobble. Not complaining about it , just trying to rationalize it. I mean , my bike had that wobble from new, just like about every other one.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    So it was time for a new pair of shoes my F6B. I was considering putting Avon Cobras on ,but this is my first tire change on the F6B and I really didn't have any complaints about the Stones that came on it. So I went to my dealer who is just a couple miles from my house. I asked the parts guy what he could get me a set for. I told him what I could get them for from Wingstuff. He beat the price and I got the set for $310. Had them put on last Friday and I rode it home in pouring down rain for those 2 miles. Hadn't had a chance to ride her. It rained all weekend. Well tonight I rode her. This is where the puzzling discovery comes in. No more famous 40 mph front end wobble. Not complaining about it , just trying to rationalize it. I mean , my bike had that wobble from new, just like about every other one.
    My bike didn't have the wobble until after my run to Daytona via the hills of NC & GA. (~7500 miles on the tires)
    Someone mentioned the tires could be cupping a bit, and it did look that way in the front.
    So, I put 43 psi in the front and am basically riding it out. Not crazy riding, just working the tire.
    The wobble is less now than it was two months ago.

I dunno....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    I never had the wobble. Put 3000 on the stock stone. Went Dark side and put a new 888 on front with chrome rims.

My triumph r3t would eat the rear time from the inside out and put it in a death wobble. The bike produced too much torque for the Bridgestone tires to handle. I wouldn't be surprised if this bike would produce simular results under certain conditions
    Matt Russell
    First Officer
    SCRC Chapter 189
    Orangeburg SC

The front end wobble is also a puzzle to me. I do not have it on my 6. I don't get it with the MC tire or the CT on the back. I also escaped it on my 12 Wing. Here's the part I do not get. I ride with a guy with a 12 Wing who bought his a week after I bought mine. Same front tire, same PSI (41). He has it. I have tried his and it is definitly there. How does one Wing. have it and another does not.

I had it on my 2008 and 2012 full Wings. I have never had it on the F 6B. I put 17000 miles on my first front tire before I picked up a nail. The second rear tire had 16000+ miles when I changed it. The rear is now new and the front has 10000 miles. Still, I have not experienced any wobble ( knock on wood). I, too, run 41 psi air in my tires.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Funky kind of weird. Bad batch of tires? Bad balancing dude or dudette at the factory? Caliber torq not correct? Very interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Tire pressure is the answer.... let it go a few miles and you are ______! until you get a new set !!! 41-41 is my answer some will vary...I got 20K+ out of the front...proof is in the puddin...

I check it like a freak !!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I run 36 with nowobblyness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Tire pressure is the answer.... let it go a few miles and you are ______! until you get a new set !!! 41-41 is my answer some will vary...I got 20K+ out of the front...proof is in the puddin...

I check it like a freak !!!!!
    During the ride to Daytona, we started at -2 degrees in Harrisburg.
    I was at 41/41 for the trip.
    By the time I hit Daytona 5 days (and some hard riding) later, I did not re-check the pressure.
    When I got back to Philly, 2400 miles later, it was 37.
    So, perhaps.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce