Have you ever drilled a hole...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever drilled a hole...

Have you ever drilled a hole...

...into a body panel of your motorcycle, and then discovered that even after careful thought, measuring and planning, the accessory that you were going to install in it... doesn't fit?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Don't make me come there and fix your schiznit.

These folks have good plugs.

http://www.widgetco.com/hole-plugs?g...FYsvgQoddeAGAQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Honda make new body panels everyday

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    ...into a body panel of your motorcycle, and then discovered that even after careful thought, measuring and planning, the accessory that you were going to install in it... doesn't fit?

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, you can always drill one on the other side and put a set of lights on it that nobody else has. Quick fix for an already unfortunate situation. Can I ask what you were about to install on your ride?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune, you can always drill one on the other side and put a set of lights on it that nobody else has. Quick fix for an already unfortunate situation. Can I ask what you were about to install on your ride?
    Ya Will....please share your screw up with us....lol
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Just about got my bike put back together, and wanted get the Gerbing power outlet mounted somewhere in front of me. Looked FOREVER for the perfect location and THOUGHT I found it:

The horror discovered, after I drilled the hole; was that the Gerbing power cable could not be routed (as I had previously thought possible) through the underlying gas tank spill tray structure underneath. I had eyeballed this placement every which way, and though it was possible.

There is the gas tank cover's hinge under there too... but the cable could be routed well enough to avoid it's operation.

I could compromise the integrity of the gas tank catch tray by drilling a hole in the side of it; for the cable to route through... but elect not to do that.

For now I just have another Gerbing power lead exiting out from the left side of the frame in front of me. I still could drill another hole ON THE SIDE of the gas tank cap cover WHICH WOULD allow enough clearance for the cable underneath to be routed (since that area is not in the gas tank spill tray area) ...but I am really not happy about having another hole off to the side of the gas cap cover.

Thanks for the link Stro... regarding the hole caps; I just need one. It would cost .18 cents but shipping is $3.95 Keerist.... I'll check locally or maybe just get a nice sticker/decal to put over the hole for now.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Just about got my bike put back together, and wanted get the Gerbing power outlet mounted somewhere in front of me. Looked FOREVER for the perfect location and THOUGHT I found itThe horror discovered, after I drilled the hole; was that the Gerbing power cable could not be routed (as I had previously thought possible) through the underlying gas tank spill tray structure underneath. I had eyeballed this placement every which way, and though it was possible.There is the gas tank cover's hinge under there too... but the cable could be routed well enough to avoid it's operation.
    I could compromise the integrity of the gas tank catch tray by drilling a hole in the side of it; for the cable to route through... but elect not to do that.
    For now I just have another Gerbing power lead exiting out from the left side of the frame in front of me. I still could drill another hole ON THE SIDE of the gas tank cap cover WHICH WOULD allow enough clearance for the cable underneath to be routed (since that area is not in the gas tank spill tray area) ...but I am really not happy about having another hole off to the side of the gas cap cover.
    Thanks for the link Stro... regarding the hole caps; I just need one. It would cost .18 cents but shipping is $3.95 Keerist.... I'll check locally or maybe just get a nice sticker/decal to put over the hole for now.
    Done something like that before,, me,, YUP a few times.

At least it is centered and a plug won't look out of place, and $4 is a pretty cheap screw up fix.

If it helps, this is what I did for the Gerbing gear. The Gas Cap door is about $25 if I decide to pull the wiring for a new bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

If anyone ever see's my bike in person, you'll find a mistake covered area too. The sticker on the gas cover. When I removed it, I used my fingernail because I was too lazy to do it right. I now have an emblem covering that screw up.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Done something like that before,, me,, YUP a few times.

At least it is centered and a plug won't look out of place, and $4 is a pretty cheap screw up fix.

If it helps, this is what I did for the Gerbing gear. The Gas Cap door is about $25 if I decide to pull the wiring for a new bike.

How did you route the power plug cables out from the gas tank spill tray structure underneath? Did you drill holes through the sides of that interior structure for the power cables underneath?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Let me get this right you've got hot wires going to an area where your regularly spilling gas?? Sounds to me like a planned terrorist attack.

I would not be able to drill in to the painted plastic of my bike without crying the whole time. I was scared enough when I had to take the saddle bags apart to put the passenger backrest on.