Full GoldWing(classic) or F6B
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full GoldWing(classic) or F6B

Full GoldWing(classic) or F6B

I'm getting ready to take the plunge (again) and buy either a goldwing (classic) or the F6B. I've owned several motorcycles in the past, including most recently the ST1300 and an '08 goldwing just prior to that. I really enjoyed my 08 Goldwing the most of the bikes I've owned so I was starting to look at finding a used Goldwing when I noticed the F6B as an option.
    I'm looking to get some thoughts/opinions from anyone that may have owned both and how they compare to each other (pros/cons, etc).

I would be buying a used bike, and my budget would be no greater than 15K (less if I can).

Some other thoughts on my part. I originally bought the Goldwing because I thought my wife would ride more with me if I had better accommodations for her. (that didn't happen so I sold the wing and bought the ST1300). the ST1300 was fun, but I missed the comfort of the Wing. I don't really NEED the 2-up comfort of the wing any longer but still crave the comfort and ride it provided.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
    I'm getting ready to take the plunge (again) and buy either a goldwing (classic) or the F6B. I've owned several motorcycles in the past, including most recently the ST1300 and an '08 goldwing just prior to that. I really enjoyed my 08 Goldwing the most of the bikes I've owned so I was starting to look at finding a used Goldwing when I noticed the F6B as an option.
    I'm looking to get some thoughts/opinions from anyone that may have owned both and how they compare to each other (pros/cons, etc).

I would be buying a used bike, and my budget would be no greater than 15K (less if I can).

Some other thoughts on my part. I originally bought the Goldwing because I thought my wife would ride more with me if I had better accommodations for her. (that didn't happen so I sold the wing and bought the ST1300). the ST1300 was fun, but I missed the comfort of the Wing. I don't really NEED the 2-up comfort of the wing any longer but still crave the comfort and ride it provided.

Thanks!
    If you don't need, or care, about two-up riding the F6B is the way to go in my opinion...Lighter, handles great, faster, cheaper, and is one great bike.....

Quote Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
    I'm getting ready to take the plunge (again) and buy either a goldwing (classic) or the F6B. I don't really NEED the 2-up comfort of the wing any longer but still crave the comfort and ride it provided.

Thanks!

I have wanted a Wing but just seem to be very happy with my F6B. The F6B just looks better to me.
    BUT here are some differences from Wing to F6B

No Reverse
    No Adjustable Windshield
    No Lighted Handlebar controls
    No remote Adj Headlight
    No remote Adj Rear Suspension
    No remote locking Saddle Bags
    No Heated Seat
    No ABS
    Obviously no Trunk... much easier to throw a leg over
    slightly wider Fairing... noticeable if you use highway pegs

On Older Standard Models

No Cruise Control
    No Center Stand
    No self canceling Signals
    No heated Grips

I have an 02 wing and the wife has a 15 F6. I have put plenty of miles on both. I prefer the wing for longer, anything 100+ miles, rides. A quick run to the store I'm taking the F6 every time. The F6 is more fun to ride and it gets the looks and compliments, but you can't get that Barcca Lounger comfort on long trips in anything but a full Wing. All the bells and whistles that come on the full wing aren't really missed with reverse being the only exception.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    If you don't need, or care, about two-up riding the F6B is the way to go in my opinion...Lighter, handles great, faster, cheaper, and is one great bike.....
    +1 and I'm 6'5" and the full dress Wing is very tight in the cockpit so I find the F6 much more comfortable.

Sounds like the F6B is what you need

Having owned a 2012 Honda GoldWing premium audio, and a 2015 Honda F6B, the two are very similar, but very different.

The adjustable windshield isn't a big deal, since you have to manually set it on the Goldwing and once you have it set where it works, you tend to not have to move it. The F6B has a little more room if you are taller, and the reverse gear is missing, but it really comes down to doing some thinking when you stop the bike IE back it in if the parking is sloping downward, etc.

The F6B definitely feels more sporty, the small weight reduction doesn't seem like it would be that much, but in reality the top box is high centered, so the bike is much easier to hop on and off of, taking the weight off the sidestand is where you feel it the most. I also had an ST 1300 and trying to compare the F6B to that bike is sort of a unique angle, since the F6B is sort of a sport touring bike in some ways.

As my title says - the F6B is what sounds like you need. It has a more stylish look to the hot "bagger" market going on, and if you aren't doing the long distance touring with a passenger, I think you will like the feel and custom look of the F6B.

If no pillion, F6B !!!

There is one for Sale in Sanford, financing is available, 2013, Black...Call Johnnie, Sales Manager, say Steve gave you the number 407-670-9800 .
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Miks View Post
    Having owned a 2012 Honda GoldWing premium audio, and a 2015 Honda F6B, the two are very similar, but very different.

The adjustable windshield isn't a big deal, since you have to manually set it on the Goldwing and once you have it set where it works, you tend to not have to move it. The F6B has a little more room if you are taller, and the reverse gear is missing, but it really comes down to doing some thinking when you stop the bike IE back it in if the parking is sloping downward, etc.

The F6B definitely feels more sporty, the small weight reduction doesn't seem like it would be that much, but in reality the top box is high centered, so the bike is much easier to hop on and off of, taking the weight off the sidestand is where you feel it the most. I also had an ST 1300 and trying to compare the F6B to that bike is sort of a unique angle, since the F6B is sort of a sport touring bike in some ways.

As my title says - the F6B is what sounds like you need. It has a more stylish look to the hot "bagger" market going on, and if you aren't doing the long distance touring with a passenger, I think you will like the feel and custom look of the F6B.
    I'm thinking since I had the ST1300 as my last bike, I've already dealt with no cruise, no reverse and the like, so perhaps I wont miss those. I did LOVE the electric windshield on the ST and used it often (rode with it low most of the time around town, but up and down on the highway to keep cool down here in FL).

I do like riding up to the mountains and the Goldwing made that ride a breeze. Will I notice a big difference with the F6B on a 9 hour ride? The ST was fine for that ride (though noticeably less comfortable than the Wing was).

Many folks here needed to replace the seat for long rides like you mention. Windshield is other most frequent upgrade, as the OEM shorty provides no protection. I bought Ultimate King seat and Madstad windshield. You'll see a gazillion threads here about upgrades like seats and windshields among many others. Good luck, but I'd get the F6B.

Nine hours on a bike

Hmm, well I think what you will find is that the F6B is right in between the comfort you found on the GoldWing, and the St 1300. As you know. the Goldwing wears it's weight very well, and the F6B just sheds that weight even more. For me, the GoldWing was too much bike for what I needed, so I went to a BMW R1200Rt. I feel that the F6B is very close in the feel and comfort, but you can't beat the Goldwing seat for comfort and long distance touring.

You may need to change the seat, other than that, you can put thousand mile days without any problem once you get the windshield you are looking for. The F6B is all about the cruiser look with the "crown jewel of motorcycle engines", so the styling is what you are gaining in a lot of ways. If you like that low rear end look such as a Harley Street Glide, but want a bike that gets up and goes, HERE IS YOUR BIKE

My story was I rode to Oshkosh WI on my 2014 Honda CTX 1300. A group of bikes comes walking into the campground to setup their site, and I looked out and saw a Harley jacket rider getting on a blue F6B. I talked to him for about 25 minutes, he was a wealthy guy who owned tons of bikes, and his story was that once people figure out the F6B, THIS WOULD BE THE HOTTEST BIKE OUT THERE! He swore by all the bikes he owned, that this was the cats meow, and that once people take a ride on them, there is nothing else out there with the cool look, performance, and comfort to tour. He had the Kuryakn highway pegs and swore by them, and since he was a taller rider, told me that the legroom was a huge difference from a Goldwing...which he swore he would never own.

Go figure.