Ape hangers
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ape hangers

Ape hangers

I've seen one photo Google search with a red F6B with ape hangers, I'm interested just wondering has anyone seen or tried this

APE HANGERS

I have seen them here in Maryland on a black F6B. The rider also had change the front wheel to a think a 21 inch wheel and the rear fender was removed because of the size of the front rim. It did look bad and he indicated that it was very comfortable. the rider was tall. LOL

A good friend of mine put a pair of Paul Yaffe bars on his RG Ultra. These were not even that radical and when I saw them on the bike I said there's no way that can be comfortable. He assured me they were as comfortable as "When you drive a car." Sure enough, we took a ride, with him leading, and there he was dropping his arms and shaking them out. I know he would never admit to me, after spending all that $ since the bars had to be sent to Yaffe to snake the cables through, that he made a mistake.

I ride with a lot of people who have apes on their bikes. All of them claim they are comfortable. To me, I think it's more style over substance. I've not ridden with apes, but depending on the height, it would just seem not to be the best position for handling in the twisties. Also, one look and you can see that any wind protection the fairing would provide for the hands is compromised by using apes. Not a big issue in the summer, but in cold weather riding for sure. But hey, they look cool.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Now you KNOW someone was going to post this

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

Ridiculous, those Dyna guys were always a little farther out there.

I had 12" Mini apes on my Fat Boy and they were perfect for me. They were way more comfortable than the F6B stock bars for me / I feel like I am reaching just slightly for the F6B stock bars. I still use the stock bars for 20000 miles so far on the F6B. It is all about ergonomics for the individual rider. I have tried my friends Heritage Classic with the real tall ape hangers and it really was not that bad. I have seen him shaking his hand before. I always thought that you would not have good control with bars that high no matter how comfortable they are. The 12" or 14" Mini Apes fit me perfect on the Harley and I still feel like I have total control / leverage.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

He can only ride for two blocks then all the blood is gone out of his arms.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I had 12" Mini apes on my Fat Boy and they were perfect for me. They were way more comfortable than the F6B stock bars for me / I feel like I am reaching just slightly for the F6B stock bars. I still use the stock bars for 20000 miles so far on the F6B. It is all about ergonomics for the individual rider. I have tried my friends Heritage Classic with the real tall ape hangers and it really was not that bad. I have seen him shaking his hand before. I always thought that you would not have good control with bars that high no matter how comfortable they are. The 12" or 14" Mini Apes fit me perfect on the Harley and I still feel like I have total control / leverage.
    Steve
    I couldn't deal with the stock bars on the B. I went to the Helibars and that has been Nirvana for me.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Are the Helibars better for you because of the angle of the wrist or better reach etc...
    Steve