Laid it down !!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laid it down !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    I knew this was coming sooner or later. I was on an incline/slope and cud not reach my foot and had to lay it down gently. For a minute I thought it is going to damage the bike. But those bag shield really do their job. I'm short and this incident has me thinking whether I shud lower the bike.

If I lower it by 1" and get mustang seat which is another 1" lower I think I'll be in good shape. Or just try mustang first. With mustang I'm pretty sure I'll use airhawk (personally I like ultimate seat but I think I'll settle for mustang for it's lowering ability).

My questions are

1. If I lower the bike by 1", will it affect it's handling by any means ?
    2. Shud I use lowering kit or get Progressive monotubes lowers ? I heard those monotubes make a stiffer ride. I want to go with regular monotubes for a plush ride.

My other mod will be Kuryakyn risers.
    it scares me when i read posts like this
    seriously...scares me
    first off if you have to go through this much to make the f6b fit you you are on the wrong bike
    second off help me help you..
    the f6b is not a harley and its not worth taking a chance on your life
    im afraid every time i open a post something bad is gonna happen now...
    please,,,evaluate your options...
    none of us want you to get hurt...
    please

First off, you don't need both feet flat on the ground! My philosophy is that you only "fall" in one given direction at any given time; so put that foot down and don't be worrying about the other. You should be coming to a stop with your right foot on the brake and your left foot to the deck..

Secondly, I'm probably the shortest person in this forum @ 5'1" and I can handle it just fine with my 26" inseam and a cut down Corbin seat. If I had to have both feet flat on the ground, I'd be riding a Rebel.

Do the skinny seat first before futzing with the suspension; it's cheaper and not as technical. If you lower the suspension, you will not be able to corner as deeply without scraping someting.
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post
    First off, you don't need both feet flat on the ground! My philosophy is that you only "fall" in one given direction at any given time; so put that foot down and don't be worrying about the other. You should be coming to a stop with your right foot on the brake and your left foot to the deck..

Secondly, I'm probably the shortest person in this forum @ 5'1" and I can handle it just fine with my 26" inseam and a cut down Corbin seat. If I had to have both feet flat on the ground, I'd be riding a Rebel.

Do the skinny seat first before futzing with the suspension; it's cheaper and not as technical. If you lower the suspension, you will not be able to corner as deeply without scraping someting.
    amen...its not just me
    your safety is the first priority
    go slow first...read see what others have done..
    make good choices..but be safe

Quote Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post

Agreeing with MSGT-R. I'm 5'3" with 27" inseam. I've been riding the past 4 years on bikes that I couldn't flat-foot. It doesn't mean you can't ride them. It only means you need to find the right seat, perhaps handlebar extensions, and perhaps even platform boots. I wouldn't touch the suspension for ANYTHING.

The stock seat on the F6B is ridiculously wide to me, and I can hardly tippy-toe on it. I had the good fortune of sitting on a Mustang seat. That seat dropped me an inch. That doesn't sound like much, but it's the difference between being almost flat-footed and just barely boot-tipping the ground. I plan to order a Mustang seat soon.

I'm definitely upgrading the fork suspension. I was looking at progressive monotubes but after reading several reviews I understand that it raises the bike. So that is out of picture. Next option I have is 1" lower monotubes, but I read that it stiffens the suspension. And I'm looking for plush ride.

So shud I just get progressive heavy duty fork spring ($89) or fork spring kit by traxxion ($129) ?

Also is it necessary to install All Balls Steering Bearings Kit for Goldwing ?

Will add superbrace too.

So I'm thinking of getting Mustang seat + either progressive spring or traxxion spring kit.

What do u guys think

NOT TRUE!!! Progressive makes a 1" Lowering mono tube kit....same $$$ but lower. It improves the ride!! Nothing negative!!!!! And yes I do have them installed.... lowered the front by 1 1/4 ", along with the Mustang seat is all you need... Good luck!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Glad the bike wasn't damaged. Don't feel bad... this bike is a heavy beast when not rolling... I've been REAL close to plunking mine down in the driveway trying to get it turned around.

I for one encourage you to make the bike yours. At this point in time, there's no other bike on the market that even comes close to an F6. If all it takes is a seat and suspension, then that's a small price to pay.

fl1madmax

If you lower it you cant hang the twisties like you normally do..

I knew this was coming sooner or later. I was on an incline/slope and cud not reach my foot and had to lay it down gently. For a minute I thought it is going to damage the bike. But those bag shield really do their job. I'm short and this incident has me thinking whether I shud lower the bike.

If I lower it by 1" and get mustang seat which is another 1" lower I think I'll be in good shape. Or just try mustang first. With mustang I'm pretty sure I'll use airhawk (personally I like ultimate seat but I think I'll settle for mustang for it's lowering ability).

My questions are

2. Shud I use lowering kit or get Progressive monotubes lowers ? I heard those monotubes make a stiffer ride. I want to go with regular monotubes for a plush ride.

my neighbor lowered his $550 but when he comes home we have to 90 degree turns to get to out street, and he scrapes floor boards every time, you just can't lean over like you can with Stock height. try seat first........

Quote Originally Posted by fl1madmax View Post
    my neighbor lowered his $550 but when he comes home we have to 90 degree turns to get to out street, and he scrapes floor boards every time, you just can't lean over like you can with Stock height. try seat first........
    Good thing I'm not installing floor boards

Yes it effects handling!

My questions are

It gets better!!! A whole lot better!

IMHO...using the Progressive Monotubes has/had no ill effects on the bike at all.... I think I drug the right side once in Franklin.... this is more about lean angle than the bike being closer to the ground....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com