maintenance at 18000 miles

Thread: maintenance at 18000 miles

maintenance at 18000 miles

I am at 18000 miles and so far I have only done oil changes and tires.

I will be checking the brakes when I put my 3rd rear tire and 2nd front tire on soon.
    I will need to change the air filter soon I think.
    Is there anything else I need to do soon?

I am at work and do not have access to my manual but want to plan for my service this weekend or what is needed soon.
    Steve

JMHO.....

All fluids at 25K

Front brakes at 25K

Rear brakes at 50K

Air filter at 50K

All fluids again at 50K

Front brakes at 50K

Repeat.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Stevenolts,
    There is no 18,000 mile servicing, although you are certainly welcome to do as you wish.

This is the gouge card I keep in my bike logbook:

Attachment 21947

If all you've done is change oil/filter & tires, it would seem you are a bit behind the maintenance curve.....wouldn't want to jeopardize that warranty.
    Especially with regards to clutch fluid, brake fluid (I had them change both brake systems and the clutch during the recall) and technically, air cleaner.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I noticed on the logbook, the kms should be multiplied by a factor of 100, NOT x1000.
    When I saw the next service at 64,000 km, I started scratching my head, thinking that's about 40k miles. What do the Euros know that we don't? If Steve 0080 used that metric log, you could get an extra 15k miles between oil changes. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I am at 18000 miles and so far I have only done oil changes and tires.

I will be checking the brakes when I put my 3rd rear tire and 2nd front tire on soon.
    I will need to change the air filter soon I think.
    Is there anything else I need to do soon?

I am at work and do not have access to my manual but want to plan for my service this weekend or what is needed soon.
    Steve
    Just my .02 cents but, I would get the brake and clutch fluids changed as soon as possible. You are way beyond the change intervals on these critical fluids...Did you have the brake recall done??..If not I would do it soon...Air cleaners are a "crap shoot", so to speak, as a lot depends on where you ride/live and the air quality in that area...I have a K&N and don't plan to change it until 25/30000 miles as the air around where I live is fairly good...Not much dirt/dust...but lots of pollen at times..Might also take a look at the crankcase breather tube for some peace of mind....Front fork services are due in couple thousand miles, so check this out down the road. Also, you might want to check the spark plugs and replace them if needed....

I change my engine oil at 5K miles... I stand by my post as written.... It is your money, do as you will.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I change my engine oil at 5K miles... I stand by my post as written.... It is your money, do as you will.
    Hmm, I missed the 5k oil change in this thread. First thing I saw was all fluids at 25k. But, 5k

My 2005 Corolla is recommended every 5k oil change. I think most vehicles are 5k or more nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    Hmm, I missed the 5k oil change in this thread. First thing I saw was all fluids at 25k. But, 5k

My 2005 Corolla is recommended every 5k oil change. I think most vehicles are 5k or more nowadays.
    The OM recommends every 8000 miles after the initial 4000 miles.
    I like the 5000 mile interval better.
    Easier math.....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    I noticed on the logbook, the kms should be multiplied by a factor of 100, NOT x1000.
    When I saw the next service at 64,000 km, I started scratching my head, thinking that's about 40k miles. What do the Euros know that we don't? If Steve 0080 used that metric log, you could get an extra 15k miles between oil changes. LOL
    Yeah....that's kinda wrong. Maybe multiply the first number by 1000, but the following by only 100.
    I'll email Honda and ask they correct that typo.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce