How many miles do you ride per day?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many miles do you ride per day?

How many miles do you ride per day?

I just purchased a new 2013 F6B from a dealer in Memphis. I will ride the bike home to Colorado Springs. 1100 miles. This is my first long bike ride so I'm trying to set reasonable goals and divide the trip into segments. A little advice would be greatly appreciated. I had an F4 shield installed so that should not be a concern.

No limits , until your rear got in flames .

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeken47 View Post
    I just purchased a new 2013 F6B from a dealer in Memphis. I will ride the bike home to Colorado Springs. 1100 miles. This is my first long bike ride so I'm trying to set reasonable goals and divide the trip into segments. A little advice would be greatly appreciated. I had an F4 shield installed so that should not be a concern.
    Don't set anything in stone. Ride 100 to 120 miles and stop. Gas up, pee, hydrate, stretch, and get back on and go. Try to limit your stops to 10 to 15 minutes max. You'll amaze yourself at how far you can go without wearing your self out.

1100 miles..

...would be a very easy 2 days... I can ride 10 hours and still want to jump back on to go get a beer somewhere.. It eats miles, @ 60 mph, or 100 mph. Last summer I did several 3 day trips (2 overnights) and they were all 1500 - 2000 miles of secondary highway (twisties!), not interstate. And I'm not one of those "iron butt" weirdos... (no offense to you weirdos).

The day I picked up my F6B, I rode @ 600 miles until I was too cold to continue. Grabbed a hotel room and late dinner and finished the trek in the morning.

Make sure you dress/pack accordingly.

Not to jack the thread, but is there a break in for these bikes? I'm reading this and you guys seem to get on and go and I like that. Indian has a 500 mile period where you can't rev over 3000 and have to vary speeds, then bring it in for service. Then they say you can let it rip.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Not to jack the thread, but is there a break in for these bikes? I'm reading this and you guys seem to get on and go and I like that. Indian has a 500 mile period where you can't rev over 3000 and have to vary speeds, then bring it in for service. Then they say you can let it rip.
    4000 mile first oil change is what is called for.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

500 a day is pretty easy riding... more if needed....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeken47 View Post
    Okay, between Memphis and CS, you have....Kansas.
    It's just not going to be interesting.
    Kansas City is always a cluster.
    Concur with HiFlyer - don't set anything in stone - just have fun and stop when you get tired.
    No sense "chasing a timeline."
    Maybe heading to Wichita at Springfield (Hwy 44/400) and then RONing at Wichita would break up the trip and offer some site seeing.

Rode Daytona to Philly.
    1000 miles
    Left at 0600, arrived at 2045.
    +9 to 14 over the limit.
    Every 200 miles, fill her up, empty me out.
    Would have been home by 1930 had it not been for the wreck on the 95/495 south of DC....
    1000 miles in a day on this bike is easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

My sis lives in Monument - teaches at Zoomie Uni.
    Safe travels.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I have/do ride long day rides when I can.(450-600 miles preferably alone on long trips)
    That is for a different thread as to why.
    Since you don't know how you are going to "feel" om this bike,I would not concern myself with mileage numbers concerning distance traveled.
    If you set in your mind,"I need to go 120 miles between stops" for instance,you will fixate on this.
    Depending on your mindset this can cause stress and anxiety.
    Stress/anxiety causes fatigue.
    Each time you travel that distance under stress it gets harder and harder when you are not feeling perfect.

Here is what I do:

Eat and drink something,clear my bladder as much as possible before I leave.

Let my body/mind dictate the distance.

If I have traveled 75 miles and keep thinking I need to stop,I do.

If I feel like going 200 miles,I do that also.

Unless it is for a "main meal" stop,I limit the stop to 15 minutes.

Eat a snack,use the bathroom and most importantly..stretch.

Try to stay away from sugary snacks as they will quickly wear off and cause drowsiness.

I carry "Pure Protein" bars that I buy at Walmart.
    Relax and enjoy the ride.

This may not be what others suggest.
    It is just what I do.