F6B where's the weight?

Thread: F6B where's the weight?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    The best thing about the GW / F6B's weight is that it's low, really low, compared to say a V-twin. The engine, tranny, rear drive, fuel tank are almost even with the axles. Makes handling great. Smart move Honda!
    Agreed, an opposed cylinder layout works great in a motorcycle. They're smooth, easy to maintain, and have a very low C.G. And the old airhead BMWs were cooled very well with the cylinders sticking out in the wind. I'm surprised flat engine layouts aren't more popular. I think the only motorcycle companies using it are Honda, BMW, and Ural. Porsche and Subaru are the only cars. Am I missing any?

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Agreed, an opposed cylinder layout works great in a motorcycle. They're smooth, easy to maintain, and have a very low C.G. And the old airhead BMWs were cooled very well with the cylinders sticking out in the wind. I'm surprised flat engine layouts aren't more popular. I think the only motorcycle companies using it are Honda, BMW, and Ural. Porsche and Subaru are the only cars. Am I missing any?
    Harley came out with one during WW2 to compete with z Germans, but only made a thousand of them and scrapped it after the American military went with the Jeep. It ran a hundred degrees cooler than their twins. It's a bummer to think about what might've been had they continued the ingenuity, instead of banking on brand loyalty.

Jason