Introduction
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hi Guys,
    I'm in the process of buying a 2013 red F6B with 29,005 miles for $9999. There are no maintenance records available, and while the bike looks to be in excellent shape, I hesitate to be completely trusting that it has been maintained properly. Specifically after reading this forum, I wonder about the air filter. Has it ever been replaced? Should I tell the dealer that my buying the bike hinges upon them replacing it for me (they offered to get me a quote to have it done!) The bike is at a dealership about 200 miles away. They have another location in the city I live in (Bend, Oregon) and will transport the bike here for free.
    The bike I'm already almost committed to buying (got the financing approved, etc) can be seen below, but now I'm thinking maybe I should get a brand new Blue 2015 model for only $13,499. That one is 850 miles from here and I can probably arrange to have it shipped here but not for free. I just sent a message to that dealership via cycletrader asking for more info and if they can arrange delivery. I got the paperwork in the mail today for the 2013 bike but haven't signed anything yet. Both are really good deals. Should I consider paying maybe $14,000 (including delivery) for a new 2015 model? Or pay just $10,000 for the 2013 model and hope that it's been maintained properly for the past 3 years? There are no actual photos of the new blue model, just the stock photos from Honda, but it's NEW! And $7000 cheaper than a new 2016 model.
    Here's a photo of the 2013 bike. It has a drivers backrest installed.
    Attachment 24825
    It also has a bigger windshield and Kuryakyn highway pegs installed.
    Attachment 24827

The blue one, well you guys know what it looks like. I love this color even more than the red, and love the idea of having a new bike.
    Attachment 24826
    So if you were me, and could afford either bike, which one would you buy?

for me it would be the new one

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    .....So if you were me, and could afford either bike, which one would you buy?
    Go with the new, as long as you can afford it. Then you won't ever need to wonder about the maintainence done by the previous owner. Plus, you said you like the blue better.

Yes, I echo the above two posts. Go with the new one as well. It's a no brainer.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm in the process of buying a 2013 red F6B with 29,005 miles for $9999. There are no maintenance records available, and while the bike looks to be in excellent shape, I hesitate to be completely trusting that it has been maintained properly. Specifically after reading this forum, I wonder about the air filter. Has it ever been replaced? Should I tell the dealer that my buying the bike hinges upon them replacing it for me (they offered to get me a quote to have it done!) The bike is at a dealership about 200 miles away. They have another location in the city I live in (Bend, Oregon) and will transport the bike here for free.
    The bike I'm already almost committed to buying (got the financing approved, etc) can be seen below, but now I'm thinking maybe I should get a brand new Blue 2015 model for only $13,499. That one is 850 miles from here and I can probably arrange to have it shipped here but not for free. I just sent a message to that dealership via cycletrader asking for more info and if they can arrange delivery. I got the paperwork in the mail today for the 2013 bike but haven't signed anything yet. Both are really good deals. Should I consider paying maybe $14,000 (including delivery) for a new 2015 model? Or pay just $10,000 for the 2013 model and hope that it's been maintained properly for the past 3 years? There are no actual photos of the new blue model, just the stock photos from Honda, but it's NEW! And $7000 cheaper than a new 2016 model.
    Here's a photo of the 2013 bike. It has a drivers backrest installed.
    Attachment 24825
    It also has a bigger windshield and Kuryakyn highway pegs installed.
    Attachment 24827

The blue one, well you guys know what it looks like. I love this color even more than the red, and love the idea of having a new bike.
    Attachment 24826
    So if you were me, and could afford either bike, which one would you buy?
    Well - a lot depends on if it is the DELUXE model or basic and how many $$$ of accessories have been added? I just bought a blue F6B internet purchase at 16k out the door but it was the deluxe model. If I am buying used I like to know the seller and how they treated their machine during break in and upkeep etc... If I don't know the answer to the question I would say "next" because there are a lot of good deals to be had - some on this forum with a lot less miles.. http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9...ale-in-Indiana

Be Careful What YOU Wish For

A lot depends on your personal riding habits and mechanical skills...If you are going to keep the bike for a long while, I would go for the newer blue model, assuming it is a deluxe model as it does not have a lot of miles on it...These bikes are very reliable and 29,000 miles is not a lot for this motor..You are correct is asking the dealer, of the red one, to change the air-filter before you make the deal as it is a royal "PITA" to change....With the difference in price and my point of view, I would opt for the blue one as it has cruise control if this is important to you....Either bike would work for you in my opinion.....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by tiltingf6b View Post
    Well - a lot depends on if it is the DELUXE model or basic and how many $$$ of accessories have been added? I just bought a blue F6B internet purchase at 16k out the door but it was the deluxe model. If I am buying used I like to know the seller and how they treated their machine during break in and upkeep etc... If I don't know the answer to the question I would say "next" because there are a lot of good deals to be had - some on this forum with a lot less miles.. http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9...ale-in-Indiana

welcome20.
    what he said^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's nice to have a warranty too.

The new option appeals to me. I bought a new 2014 in June 2016. Full warranty and I have the option to add to it with Honda. I would have liked the cruise but can live without it. It is my understanding that the 2015 has the same pipes as the Valkyrie. They are a little noisier than I care for and so I went with the 2014.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Some differences to think about:
    The blue one has cruise control, the red one doesn't.
    The blue one has a louder exhaust. Not really loud but more of a motorcycle exhaust sound compared to the red one. The 2013 and 2014 bikes sound more like an ST1300, or, if you prefer, a sewing machine.
    The red one has an after market windshield and added on highway pegs. There will be extra cost to add these to the blue one.

If it was me, I'd go with the blue one because I wish I had cruise control and I like to buy new. The blue one is a better price than what I paid for my 2013 red deluxe brand new last year.
    Riding the upward spiral.

I wouldn't even hesitate. I would go with new, rather than 30k unknown miles. If nothing else, you may find annoying problems like scratches, broken tabs - who knows?
    Albuquerque, NM