Strongly considering the F6B, have a few minor concerns
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strongly considering the F6B, have a few minor concerns

Wink Strongly considering the F6B, have a few minor concerns

I'm new to this wonderful site, and wanted to get some input from experienced F6B owners. I currently have a Honda ST1300 and a BMW R1200 GS. I really like both of these bikes. I bought the ST as a second bike, intending to put it in another location for when I am out there, allowing me to have a bike to ride, and keeping the GS at my home. A friend of mine purchased an F6B, and on a long ride he let me try it out.

The comfort was incredible. At 6'3", I didn't realize how "narrow" I felt I was sitting on the ST and the GS. Both are comfortable, upright riding postures, but that wide seat of the F6B and position of my legs just felt so comfortable, the position of the pegs felt great (not too far forward), and that engine...So smooth and strong. The balance was perfect, and I was shocked how easy the bike was to handle, even at low speeds. Honda nailed the COG with this one. I knew I liked the bike immediately, even though initially I didn't care for the looks of the bike. The looks have grown on me, I know I would need a taller shield, but that is an easy fix.

My concerns are the lack of ABS. I sort of made a pact with myself to get only ABS bikes in the future. I am surprised a bike like this doesn't have them, part of Honda's desire to cut weight off of the Gold Wing I suppose. Another concern is how low the bike is, i.e. seems like there would be lots of peg scraping if I ever find time to get to some twisty roads. Also, I've read some comments about paint issues, and have some concerns about this.

The two bikes I have narrowed down to getting if I did get one are the F6B and a BMW 1200RT, perhaps an 2010 or 2011. I'm concerned I will have the same issue with the 1200RT being "too narrow" on long trips, again, a problem I didn't realize I had until I rode the F6B. The biggest single concern with the F6B is the lack of ABS. Did anyone else have hesitation over this, and if so, what convinced you to move forward and how do you feel about the performance of the brakes since acquiring the bike? Thanks, and I look forward to your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    I'm new to this wonderful site, and wanted to get some input from experienced F6B owners. I currently have a Honda ST1300 and a BMW R1200 GS. I really like both of these bikes. I bought the ST as a second bike, intending to put it in another location for when I am out there, allowing me to have a bike to ride, and keeping the GS at my home. A friend of mine purchased an F6B, and on a long ride he let me try it out.

The comfort was incredible. At 6'3", I didn't realize how "narrow" I felt I was sitting on the ST and the GS. Both are comfortable, upright riding postures, but that wide seat of the F6B and position of my legs just felt so comfortable, the position of the pegs felt great (not too far forward), and that engine...So smooth and strong. The balance was perfect, and I was shocked how easy the bike was to handle, even at low speeds. Honda nailed the COG with this one. I knew I liked the bike immediately, even though initially I didn't care for the looks of the bike. The looks have grown on me, I know I would need a taller shield, but that is an easy fix.

My concerns are the lack of ABS. I sort of made a pact with myself to get only ABS bikes in the future. I am surprised a bike like this doesn't have them, part of Honda's desire to cut weight off of the Gold Wing I suppose. Another concern is how low the bike is, i.e. seems like there would be lots of peg scraping if I ever find time to get to some twisty roads. Also, I've read some comments about paint issues, and have some concerns about this.

The two bikes I have narrowed down to getting if I did get one are the F6B and a BMW 1200RT, perhaps an 2010 or 2011. I'm concerned I will have the same issue with the 1200RT being "too narrow" on long trips, again, a problem I didn't realize I had until I rode the F6B. The biggest single concern with the F6B is the lack of ABS. Did anyone else have hesitation over this, and if so, what convinced you to move forward and how do you feel about the performance of the brakes since acquiring the bike? Thanks, and I look forward to your comments.
    The brakes on the F6B with Honda's linked braking system work just great and in MHO no need for ABS..This linked system works fine and has done so for years. Just be sure to check if the brake re-call has been done on any F6B you might consider as Honda last fall issued a brake recall for the rear master cylinder to be replaced and a fluid change, as some bikes developed a rear brake drag....The fix is free and those that have done it so far seem satisfied...Ride safe BTW, I ride with a friend that has the BMW R1200RT and he likes my F6B better.

I concur with Opas - if you are an average biker with an appreciation for "threshold braking" - the need for ABS is very minimal.
    Spend about an hour in a parking lot with the brakes and delicately find the thresholds and then you should be good to go.

Don't know your pocketbook depths but there are at least two VERY nice bikes in the 4 Sale section on this forum at deals you will not see elsewhere.
    Batt13 in NY has a very nicely equipped red one and Spanky has his black one.
    Both gentlemen are meticulous in their maintenance and attention to detail.

Happy hunting!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I am another that is not happy with lack of ABS on todays machines. Also I am NOT a fan of linked brakes, but they do work well on the F6B. I ride all year round and between rain and the lack of traction in winter on cold pavement even a linked system won't keep you from locking up a tire in an emergency stop.
    BUT... I could not let that keep me from the F6B as the rest of the motorcycle works very well. Quiet, smooth and dependable out weighed the lack of ABS for me.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I am another that is not happy with lack of ABS on todays machines. Also I am NOT a fan of linked brakes, but they do work well on the F6B. I ride all year round and between rain and the lack of traction in winter on cold pavement even a linked system won't keep you from locking up a tire in an emergency stop.
    BUT... I could not let that keep me from the F6B as the rest of the motorcycle works very well. Quiet, smooth and dependable out weighed the lack of ABS for me.
    I agree. I'll bet the 2017's have at least an ABS option...maybe on the Deluxe. Non-USA F6Bs are already ABS equipped.

Strange that here, the European models do have ABS.
    Before, had a st 1300 with abs aswell, but with the 2/3. 1/3 brake system, on both models, so far never needed the abs.

Worst surprise is when you drive the st 1300 again. Feels so heavy to manipulate after driven the f6b.

My step daughter just painted her ez bake oven and she did a better job then Honda did on my f6b. Other then that, I love my bike. Once the paint issue leaves your train of thought, as it did mine, you'll realize that a little Palmolive dish soap works pretty good for shine.

As others have mentioned, I believe you will find the brakes to be adequate without ABS. The peg scraping however (and other hard parts) would be the main drawback for a really aggressive rider. About all you can do is pump up the rear preload and go with it. To keep from wearing through the pegs, there are titanium "pucks" that can mount underneath and save them. That said, the bikes' great attributes more than makes up for this deficiency (IMO).
    Ken (Hornblower)

I just completed and a single day 500 mile round trip up into the hills of Pennsylvania on my 2015 Deluxe yesterday, and this only complaint I have is cleaning the bugs off the bike this morning. This machine is awsome. Ran between 70-80 mph for the majority of the trip and it performed flawlessly. I'm sure once you make a long run on one, you're gonna love it. I know I do.

The brakes on this touring machine are absolutely some of the best i've experienced. While I too wished for ABS on the F6B (for those unsuspected occurrences) you really won't need them. I do wish Honda would have employed a similar brake strategy as Harley…they utilize a linked ABS braking system that separates front from rear below 20mph - very nice for dragging the rear brake only for low speed maneuvers. In any case, there are so many other fantastic characteristics of this bike that I enjoy, I have completely gotten over the lack of ABS.