Honda response to paint issue - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Honda response to paint issue

My bike is at Honda right now I am getting new panels as we speak. They want the current panels off our bikes to test them and see how bad the paint is after the bike has been used. Or at least that's what I was told.

If they come up with a Fix I'll be getting a third set of panels, cant wait to see what happens

I posted about the paint issue before the forum crashed and it is only getting worse. This is my fourth GL1800, and is by far the worst paint I've ever seen on a motorcycle! I guess I'll be taking my bike to the dealer to start the band aid process as well.
    Let it be known and let it be written, this is the best bike I've ever owned, and I ain't shittin!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    My bike is at Honda right now I am getting new panels as we speak. They want the current panels off our bikes to test them and see how bad the paint is after the bike has been used. Or at least that's what I was told.

If they come up with a Fix I'll be getting a third set of panels, cant wait to see what happens
    Can wait to see the uproar that happens here if only a few people get new parts. Hopefully they do the right thing and change everyone's parts...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Ok so for us new guys, and since I already got chewed on, what specifically is the issue folks are having with their paint???
    I've noticed some usual swirls in my red which I'm sure will disappear once I get the LG on it, but from the sounds of things, folks are more upset than what a few swirls would generate. So what's the issue?

Soft paint, easily scratched, no clear coat, durability in question.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Ok so for us new guys, and since I already got chewed on, what specifically is the issue folks are having with their paint???
    I've noticed some usual swirls in my red which I'm sure will disappear once I get the LG on it, but from the sounds of things, folks are more upset than what a few swirls would generate. So what's the issue?
    get the LG on it?

bobbyf6b, Liquid glass aka LG. Forms a hard shell coating over the pain and as it build up in coats, makes any swirls disappear. I like it because I hate waxing bikes. After I put on the initial 3 coats which I do in one day, I just add a single or double coat each spring. The more coatings the less paint flaws that show, and it prevents you from scratching the paint. Any Autozone carries it.

ps... thanks for the explanation of the problem "chipmaker." I am not making any excuses for Honda but the industry standard is now water based paints and no clear coat which does make them much easier to scratch. That is one of the reasons I began using the LG several years ago. Hope they get those with a problem fixed up.

Thanks. I'll look for it.

bobbyf6b, if you decide to use LG on your bike just be absolutely sure you have gotten the bike CLEAN before applying the first coat. I use regular old dish soap and water, blow dry and look the bike over for any bugs, water marks or anything I might have missed. Clean off EVERYTHING, because if you don't it will get sealed into the LG and it does not wash off like wax. LG does make a prep solution/cleaner but I have never been able to find it, not even online. The dish soap seems to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    bobbyf6b, if you decide to use LG on your bike just be absolutely sure you have gotten the bike CLEAN before applying the first coat. I use regular old dish soap and water, blow dry and look the bike over for any bugs, water marks or anything I might have missed. Clean off EVERYTHING, because if you don't it will get sealed into the LG and it does not wash off like wax. LG does make a prep solution/cleaner but I have never been able to find it, not even online. The dish soap seems to work just fine.
    Thanks for the input. Honestly I don't think that stuff is for me. I'm not THAT anal about my paint, just wanted the swirls to go away and I think I found my cure. Scratch X. It's so dusty where I live the LG might look worse if I try it. I'll just keep polishing it.