Wanted Long distance riders - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Long distance riders

I’m doing my first Iron Butt next month. Severance Colorado back to my hometown of Temecula Commiefornia. I’m not too worried as I’ve done some 800 mile runs in the past on my Harleys. It can snow still here in June but rare.

Well keep us posted on how you made out on the trip to Cali, for me, I'm debating to do a quick 1500+ miler in 30 hrs or less, along 10 Hwy, potentially to Oklahoma, just not sure about the ideal time for the weather as I get closer to Oklahoma, should I wait for June?
    Or consider going in the direction of Houston?
    Just want to have decent weather, my "girl" hates to get wet.
    Last edited by maxrider; 05-17-2021 at 09:09 PM.

I got one for ya Max. Ride border to boarder from San Diego to Vancouver BC Canada should be about 1500 miles. I did this in 1975 was a great ride and I5 was not there then, it was hwy 99 all the way.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Yup almost 1500 Larry, short about 150 miles,(need 1550) but the only thing I do not like is the I-5 before you hit Stockton, a lousy slow 2 lane Hwy clogged with truck traffic .

Might have to consider the West-East routes, although your route has the appeal for a kickback trip, with frequent stops.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrider View Post
    Well keep us posted on how you made out on the trip to Cali, for me, I'm debating to do a quick 1500+ miler in 30 hrs or less, along 10 Hwy, potentially to Oklahoma, just not sure about the ideal time for the weather as I get closer to Oklahoma, should I wait for June?
    Or consider going in the direction of Houston?
    Just want to have decent weather, my "girl" hates to get wet.
    Lots of “nowhere to hide” road going to Oklahoma from CA. If she doesn’t like getten wet she really won’t like getten hailed on. Storms come out of nowhere in that area and if you’re riding for time it could get tricky.

Ewreck so I have heard from some others as well, most likely taken a more Southern approach, seems a bit more predictable.

Had a 98 valk also and did an 850 mile day. You and I know a 5.3 gallon tank and 6 carbs = lots of gas station stops.

Yeah, the update on this one is that I did 1522 miles in less than 36 hrs on 5-11-21, Corona, Sacramento, Reno Nevada, Winnemucca Nevada, Salt Lake City, St George Utah, Las Vegas NV.

Nice trip, no issues, cold at 7000 ft in Utah at 1.30 AM.

Did not get around doing the 1500 miles in less than 30 Hrs, still chewing on that one .

Although the cc, San Diego-Jacksonville FL is around the corner.
    Last edited by maxrider; 08-16-2021 at 11:30 PM.

I do some long distance trips, not nearly as long as 1500 miles in 36 hours, although I regularly do 400 mile day trips from my house in Orange County CA.

I bought my 2015 F6B Deluxe about a month and a half ago and have already put over 4,000 miles on it in just day trips, no over night trips.

I do love going on overnight trips as well though, the issue is getting the time off work, going to Kernville and Sequoia National Park with my girl, a riding buddy, and his girl in a couple weeks.

I'm always down to head up to Cambria/Big Sur for a weekend and ride the roads around there, or hit the mountains in the area.

Hi Max, do you really stop every 100 miles on those long rides. That's seems like a ton of extra time. What's the fuel range on your bike?