Heel toe yes no? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heel toe yes no?

I had H/T shifters on most of my Harley's and found the heel part of the shifter only to be good for limiting comfortable foot positioning on the floorboard. I never had much use for them. I have found I like the toe only shifting paired with my Kury mini boards quite well. I guess, like most things, it is a personal choice and decision.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    I have the Kury heel/toe shifter along with the black mini boards. I've been using heel/toe shifters since my VTX1800 days....
    If you get the right set-up, an H/T is a GOOD thing!

My old Stratoliner had a 'weak attempt' at a heel shifter. Yami was limited with what they could do due to the sweeping floorboards.
    I still found it easier than 'up-toe-ing'

Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
    I had H/T shifters on most of my Harley's and found the heel part of the shifter only to be good for limiting comfortable foot positioning on the floorboard. I never had much use for them. .
    Never owned an HD, but those I've ridden and/or sat on gave me the same impression as you. Heel portion was too close and too high.

They can be a hindrance if not done right.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    No clue how most guys on the other forums could use the heel/toe shifter.I look at there pictures and most guys are wearing flip-flops
    Yes, there are some real 'Road Warriors' out there!!!

Gotta admit, flip flops on a Wing might be a little bit better than the guy I saw with Croc's, shorts, and Hawaiian shirt on his 'I'm a tough guy' Big Dog chopper!! LOL! Lotta that chit here in Houston,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Never owned an HD, but those I've ridden and/or sat on gave me the same impression as you. Heel portion was too close and too high.

They can be a hindrance if not done right.
    The problem with Harley is getting the positioning right. One tooth up on the shaft put the heel shifter too high. One tooth down and it is sitting on the floorboard and will not shift. I just never cared for them.

I have not looked closely at the Kury setup for the Wing to see if there is a similar issue.

I do know that when I had " ghost shifting" issues with my '12 Wing, downshifting from 5 th to 4th gear on its own, the dealer told me Honda would not warranty the problem if I had installed a H/T shifter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Had a heel-toe on my 02 Wing got use to it but never liked it, to many years with just a toe shifter has biased me I suppose. I should be using a Heel-Toe cause
    I have a little case of shifter's toe, little arthiritus in my left big toe from repetitive motion, shifing lots of gears! I'm just gonna grin n bear it, I like using a toe shift.
    I would like a little longer shifter peg, has anyone found one that will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
    The problem with Harley is getting the positioning right. One tooth up on the shaft put the heel shifter too high. One tooth down and it is sitting on the floorboard and will not shift. I just never cared for them.

I have not looked closely at the Kury setup for the Wing to see if there is a similar issue.

I do know that when I had " ghost shifting" issues with my '12 Wing, downshifting from 5th to 4th gear on its own, the dealer told me Honda would not warranty the problem if I had installed a H/T shifter.
    The Stratoliner had a similar positioning flaw, but I was able to adjust the 'shifter to trans' rod enough to allow a 1 notch 'drop' of the heel lever. Result was both H and T were low but functional / easy to use without a lot of 'dancing'

The Kury H/T has no adjustment. I have my mini-boards tilted with the leading edge lower than the trailing edge. Intent is that the H will be within easy elevation and T won't be much higher tha what I already have.

Most of my shifting 'shortcomings' are on the upshifts. (1-2 worst) Floppin my foot on top of the shifter during a downshift has always been EZ.
    I must have lazy toes....

I can understand why Honda 'woudn't warranty a Trans with a H/T' (I work in the Warranty business, and it's never quite as 'clear cut and dried' as stated, but I get the meaning behind it.)

OPINION: The GL-1800 shifts smooth as butter when new. I believe there are cases where time goes by without proper care/maintenance of the shifter system. Compound that with a 'less than stellar' H/T system that's been equally neglected,,, less than 'correct' user input... Burnt/bent forks and ghost shifting wouldn't suprise me at all.

Honda made their shifter system so they pretty much have to stand behind it. If you add something that ends up having a detrimental effect on a Manufacturers Product, that damage is not covered by Warranty.

Now, if I only had a dollar for each time I've had to type that same last sentence out to a Customer,,, =)

Heel Toe Shifter

I have the heel toe shifter on my 1300R. I'm spoiled! Would want the Heel Toe on the F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJePH View Post
    I have the heel toe shifter on my 1300R. I'm spoiled! Would want the Heel Toe on the F6B.
    Once you get used to one, and you like it, 'toe clickin' up through the gears seems like a lotta work!

I had a heel/toe on my VTX/R for over 100,000 miles and loved it, it was a custom rig made by Lee's Forwards in SoCal and was raised, moved forward, and tilted just for my leg length, and was the most comfortable set of controls I have ever had. I hope the OP reports back on how well the Kury H/T shifter worked with the mini boards, I would be interested as I find the toe up shift a PIA with soft shoes on, and I hate to change into boots for a quick trip to dinner or the dealer.