BMW K1600B - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BMW K1600B

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    I don't want a touring bike. I'm talking about a mean ass bagger. here's another... maybe Ducati puts the V4 motor they are rumored to be working on in the Xdiavel.... +200hp cruiser.
    A Ducati XDiavel Diesel bagger would be a mean ass bagger.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Once I see this bike I will then decide what I am going to do...If it fits me right and the seat is low enough, etc. etc., I might just "pull the trigger" as this will most likely be my last bike as 78 is around the corner for me...Anxious to also see the 2018 Indian Chieftain and "hopefully" a 2018 F6B!!!...Ride safe
    And still riding! I drink a toast to you sir!

Purely from ascetics (which are important but not #1), someone else will have to ride that one.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    And still riding! I drink a toast to you sir!
    Opas Ride says he's 78, but looks 58, and drives like he's 28.

I'm looking forward to riding the Beemer at some point, but in no hurry considering how much I like the B. However, that said, a couple of notes: The bags looked a little smaller to me, too, but I heard on one of the video reviews that they could each fit a full face helmet, so maybe they're actually bigger? Central locking would be nice on ours, and the K has it, but even without, I think the integration of ours looks better.

Besides Central locking, though, there are plenty of features that make this seem like a fun ride. Multiple on the fly suspension modes, electronic windshield (a little silly this one in particular isn't already on the Goldwing platform), and that engine. 160 ponies. Yeehaw. Not to mention the inline 6 allows for easy toes-forward foot positions, and those forward position floorboards look pretty trick to me, and quite comfortable. Being able to plant your feet forward and clutchlessly shift on a bagger seems like a VERY nice combo.

Like I said, I'm looking forward to riding it at some point. But honestly, I'm looking even more forward to Honda's answer to it. What great time to be alive.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I'm looking forward to riding the Beemer at some point, but in no hurry considering how much I like the B. However, that said, a couple of notes: The bags looked a little smaller to me, too, but I heard on one of the video reviews that they could each fit a full face helmet, so maybe they're actually bigger? Central locking would be nice on ours, and the K has it, but even without, I think the integration of ours looks better.

Besides Central locking, though, there are plenty of features that make this seem like a fun ride. Multiple on the fly suspension modes, electronic windshield (a little silly this one in particular isn't already on the Goldwing platform), and that engine. 160 ponies. Yeehaw. Not to mention the inline 6 allows for easy toes-forward foot positions, and those forward position floorboards look pretty trick to me, and quite comfortable. Being able to plant your feet forward and clutchlessly shift on a bagger seems like a VERY nice combo.

Like I said, I'm looking forward to riding it at some point. But honestly, I'm looking even more forward to Honda's answer to it. What great time to be alive.

Jason
    I tried to find an actual dyno for the 1600 series and didn't come up with one. I know it has more horses and the inline 6 is considered a great engine, but isn't the 160 hp just a claimed hp? Also , I'm not sure that 160 hp isn't at the crank as opposed to what actually makes it to the ground. I didn't spend a lot of time searching, but what searching I did, I didn't come up with anything other than the stats the BMW claims. For instance , our GL1800s are supposed to produce 118 hp at the crank, but depending on which dyno you look at , only 100 to 106 make it to the ground.

I'm sure the BMW is a great ride though. I still think the F6B "eclipses" the BMW in the looks department.

I've have on the fly suspension adjustment on my B. Well , at least for the rear.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

There havnt been any actual testing of the bike that I know of. I think those figures are taken from the other bikes that BMW uses that 1600cc motor in. Who knows, the power could be different ala the 1340cc motor in the Hayabusa and B-king. Some slight changes here and there changes the HP and torque numbers slighty.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I tried to find an actual dyno for the 1600 series and didn't come up with one.
    I haven't seen an actual Dyno yet, either, Jimmytee. But I do know a couple of guys who have run their F6C and F6b against a K1600GTL, same engine. Both were glad they didn't do it for pink slips.

Test ride

First test ride I found: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...k1600-b-review

I sat on one at this year's Daytona Bikeweek. It was on centerstand at BMW of Daytona. Also, the BMW rep was there to answer questions.

It felt comfortable (I'm 6'), reach to handlebars was good for me. Forward floorboards were great, great legroom. Bike made great sound (it was started for us and I was able to rev the throttle). It just felt very well put together. I like the power windshield (really miss that on F6B).

Saddlebags are not removable (at least not meant to be) and smaller than on F6B. I asked the rep about the trunk and he said that the accessory trunk will be available and it is being specifically designed for this bike.

Overall an impressive design, especially for solo rider (which is me). I used to have 2000 BMW K1200LT and loved it, it gave me over 80,000 trouble free and fun miles. I am not a GW guy (I sold my 2007 GW for 2013 F6B). I like my F6B (have over 34,000 miles on it so far, not bad considering I have other bikes and work full time) but it is starting to feel outdated to me. I am very curious if new GW and hopefully F6B comes around soon. I will take a chance and test ride this new BMW when opportunity presents itself.

However, even if I like it (or new GW for that matter) I don't want to buy it new. I have owned close to 20 bikes in my life so far, all I got used except for F6B. I usually did very good financially buying and selling them, but it looks like I will loose the most on F6B (bought new for 17,250 but it looks like the true value of it currently is around 10,000). For example, 2000 BMW K1200LT Custom was listed around 22,000 new, I got it for 12,000 a year old with 3,000 miles on it. After 8-9 years and over 80,000 miles I sold it for 7,000. Another time I bought 2012 Victory Cross Country (a great bike) about a year old for 10,500 and sold it 3 months ago for 9,000 (only because Victory closed as a brand). So, I will use my current F6B for at least 2-3 more years to amortize the cost and enjoy riding it, even though a new GW may become available. But that's just me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Hey BMW copied my bag netting at the bottom of the opening. It looks darn near identical to mine!

It works great. Keeps small things from falling into the hinges. And is easily stretchable for putting in large items.

Here's my pic: Oops, still no worky ...
    Albuquerque, NM