San Diego ride

Thread: San Diego ride

San Diego ride

I will be in San Diego (El Cajon) Feb 18 - March 3. So I started to look at motorcycle rentals. I would like to ride the P.C. Hi Way. North. How many days would I need to enjoy most of the Hi Way? If I only rent a bike for only 1 day where should I ride to? I will be traveling myself and visting my sister so I will have some free time.

The ride up to Julian is really nice, if it's not too cold. Highway 94 going east down by the border is a nice road too. IMO the coastal ride isn't that good until you get to San Louis Obispo (north of Los Angeles). That's not saying there's nowhere to ride along the coast near San Diego though. The locals will have to help you with that part.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I will be in San Diego (El Cajon) Feb 18 - March 3. So I started to look at motorcycle rentals. I would like to ride the P.C. Hi Way. North. How many days would I need to enjoy most of the Hi Way? If I only rent a bike for only 1 day where should I ride to? I will be traveling myself and visting my sister so I will have some free time.
    Hi Jack!!

If you want to ride the PCH...it pretty much starts in San Clemente, Orange County...and you work your way north. However, I wouldn't recommend taking that road on the weekends...very busy. The best parts of that road would be when you get up to Big Sur...and the road continues on through the 101 all the way up to northern CA. How many days would depend on how long you plan to spend in the saddle and how far you'd like to go. I've done a ride from the LA area and up through the 101 along the coast to Oregon in one day. And LA is a couple of hours north from San Diego.

If you only plan to rent a bike for one day, there are tons of places to see and roads to ride around San Diego. You should check out Coronado...it's gorgeous over there, and you can ride on this long bridge over the water to get to the island for free....it's beautiful. Have lunch there or something and check out the water while looking across at the USS Midway.

There are also roads around Julian, which is famous for their apple pies. And if you go there, ride through Palomar Mountain...nice twisties. Sometimes on the weekends there are a couple of photographers around the corners taking snap shots and posting them online. But if you're the type that doesn't like twisties...avoid Palomar Mountain because there are a few hairpin turns.

I have a few routes on my Google Maps...let me know what you decide, and I can send you a link to a route.

Hell, if you're up for it, maybe some of the local So Cal peeps would like to get together and ride for a day. I know you're out there...I actually met Primo recently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]