Tire wear question - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tire wear question

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Here's my 2 cents:

I am convinced that hard acceleration and hard braking have the most effect on tire life.
    Very true! And that is why I only get 7,000 miles out of a rear tire. I love twisting the torque out of the big girl.
    Last edited by 53driver; 08-20-2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: fix quote

Obviously hard riding will cause more "scuffing" of the tires and faster wear than anything else, and BOY is it FUN!

I think the only improvement with increased tire air pressure is...Less tire contacts the road surface. More physical contact means more tire to wear off.

Here's a great Motorcycle Tire Wear information page.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 08-20-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post

I think the only improvement with increased tire air pressure is...Less tire contacts the road surface. More physical contact means more tire to wear off.
    Less contact area will apply more force to that lesser area, wearing it more. I think it is a wash.

Consider filing a 2x4. If you file a flat area, it will take a lot to make any difference. If you file a corner, you will make a difference quickly. Either way, you are removing about the same amount of material.
    Albuquerque, NM