Rally out west - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rally out west

West Ride

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Decisions, decisions east or west of the Mississippi. Can not do both.
    I have never ridden out there, so I am taking the time to do so. I may not be able to stay the whole time (leave dependent), but I am really interested in doing the western ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Rally Out West

I was under the impression that the details were pretty well set. The western rally would be in Cortez, Colorado August 22-26 and the hosting hotel would be the Super 8. A bunch of us have already reserved rooms. If things have changed I would appreciate someone letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetoc View Post
    I have never ridden out there, so I am taking the time to do so. I may not be able to stay the whole time (leave dependent), but I am really interested in doing the western ride.
    Never been out their myself, that's why I chose it over the "East Rally", will probably reserve a room for the other rally, just in case plans change. Some one said it is the monsoon season in Co, during the time we are their ?
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    I was under the impression that the details were pretty well set. The western rally would be in Cortez, Colorado August 22-26 and the hosting hotel would be the Super 8. A bunch of us have already reserved rooms. If things have changed I would appreciate someone letting me know.
    My above quote was from early November before the details were finalized.

You are correct .... Colorado Rally is is Cortez ... August 22-26

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Never been out their myself, that's why I chose it over the "East Rally", will probably reserve a room for the other rally, just in case plans change. Some one said it is the monsoon season in Co, during the time we are their ?
    Look at this weather data below for Cortez, Colorado from last year:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...sco0487/2017/8

It did not seem "monsoon'ish" during the month of August....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetoc View Post
    I am planning on heading out to Cortez on the Sunday Aug 19 hit Dallas, roam around and make my way to Albuquerque by Tuesday and into Cortez on Wednesday. All dependent on weather and work BS as we know things get screwed up with too much planning.
    I have done my share of water rides and kinda try to not participate with precipitation, just getting kinda finicky in my trips.
    I see taking my time up and riding Colorado for 2 1/2 days as Albuquerque is only a few hour from Cortez and heading back on Saturday with a burr under my saddle.

Plan B push the button on Tuesday am and burr ride up for a Thursday arrival and leave to come back on Sunday..

Will firm it up sooner than later and make reservations next week.
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

Monsoon Season

Some one said it is the monsoon season in Co, during the time we are their ?
    Monsoon season usually runs Early July to late August, but you can never predict how it will be. Even then, it is usually clear blue skies in the morning, clouds start building just before noon, and scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. (We call this Colorado Forecast #1.). Often they will miss you, but if not they can be gully-washers. But usually it is scattered (except for 2017).

If projected, ride early!!!!!

Monsoon season sounds like the whole summer on the east coast.. Afternoon thunderstorms are pretty much the norm.

It's the hail you need to sweat, especially on a bike. You can get golf ball size literally out of nowhere. If pics were easy to load I'd show you a few small ones we had in June.

Rally Out West

I do a lot of riding in Colorado in the summertime and I was there in late August of last year and I don't think weather is an issue. You might encounter an occasional thunderstorm but overall it is a great time to ride. the Cortez area averages 1.5 inches in the month of August and the whole area of the San Juan Mountains is about the same. The average daytime high temperature is in the mid 80's around Cortez and the higher elevations are cooler.

If you bring rain gear it is definitely not going to rain, so just pack rain gear and enjoy the riding. I would definitely bring warm clothing and just enjoy some of the best riding anywhere. If you haven't been to the San Juan Mountains area of Colorado you are in for a treat.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in August