Why I am removing the Baker Mirror Deflectors?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I am removing the Baker Mirror Deflectors?

Why I am removing the Baker Mirror Deflectors?

Hi All- Recently I have made a decission to remove the Baker Wings from my bike. It's not that I won't have the same protection most likely I will have more protection. Here are the main reasons-

1. I noticed that at highway speeds the vibration of the wind on the deflectors affects the vibration on the mirrors. Which of course distorts the rear view.

2. At times I have noticed the deflectors are not lined up vertically, which means the wind is also bending the bolt coming down from the mirror. I have straighten this several times but don't feel it will hold up. If this bolt fails while moving down the road you could loose a mirror.

Love to hear your feedback, here are pics of what I have now and what I'm changing to.

Attachment 13601 Attachment 13602

P.S. this is not my bike! It's just a photo of a slower yellow bike!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

John, something ain't right, because I don't experience either issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Hi All- Recently I have made a decission to remove the Baker Wings from my bike. It's not that I won't have the same protection most likely I will have more protection. Here are the main reasons-

1. I noticed that at highway speeds the vibration of the wind on the deflectors affects the vibration on the mirrors. Which of course distorts the rear view.

2. At times I have noticed the deflectors are not lined up vertically, which means the wind is also bending the bolt coming down from the mirror. I have straighten this several times but don't feel it will hold up. If this bolt fails while moving down the road you could loose a mirror.

Love to hear your feedback, here are pics of what I have now and what I'm changing to.

Attachment 13601 Attachment 13602

P.S. this is not my bike! It's just a photo of a slower yellow bike!
    Compared to HD these mirrors are crystal clear, no matter what the situation. I haven't had any issues with the wings either. Do the new ones do better or the same at blocking wind?

The old ones have been on for a year, I have straighten them both twice now. The new ones are what full Wings are mostly using in my area, and claim its less wind on the passenger also. I have not put the new ones on yet, but I have ordered them.

P.S. Bobby- I know you just didn't compare our bike to a HD!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    John, something ain't right, because I don't experience either issue.
    1. You have to agree if wind turbulance is hitting the deflector then it must affect the mirror with vibrations, right? Those vibrations affect the clarity of distant objects in the mirror.

The new set will not be attached to the mirrors.

2. Look closely at the angle of the Baker shield to the bottom of the mirror assembly. It is not a large angle the stops usually prevent further bending but if you look closely the angle is towards the back when the shield is normal closed. It's slight but it's there. I don't think over time that this bolt will hold up. I've lost confidence. Another indication is the rubber dot on the bike faring is no longer lining up with the shield and you had to move it.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    1. You have to agree if wind turbulance is hitting the deflector then it must affect the mirror with vibrations, right? Those vibrations affect the clarity of distant objects in the mirror.

The new set will not be attached to the mirrors.

2. Look closely at the angle of the Baker shield to the bottom of the mirror assembly. It is not a large angle the stops usually prevent further bending but if you look closely the angle is towards the back when the shield is normal closed. It's slight but it's there. I don't think over time that this bolt will hold up. I've lost confidence. Another indication is the rubber dot on the bike faring is no longer lining up with the shield and you had to move it.
    I don't want any more wind blocked than what I have. If I did, then I too will compare to the HD, where you suffocate in the heat. I am totally satisfied with the Baker product, and have said more than once it's the best addition I have done to any bike I've owned.

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    I've been well over 100mph (on a closed course) and have zero vibrations in the mirrors. I just looked at the bolts and they are as they should be.....I have the "new generation" not sure that matters. I'll keep an eye on them to see what they do over time. I do know they work that's for sure...took a ride yesterday and had to swing them open because my hands got pretty warm.
    The force is strong in this one.....

I can vent air in with the new ones and I have a vent in the screen so being in one of the hottest areas of the country concerns me too, but I think that I have plenty of air.

Yes I like the performance of the Bakers its just these other issues have me concerned over long term usage and vibrations to the mirror affecting clarity. I've put a year of milage on these Baker Wings that would be like 12k.

P.S. In the second picture I am not buying the lower deflector, also in the picture it shows the deflector touching the mirror. I've seen these installed, they come close but do not touch the mirror housing.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016

I think that you have an odd and interesting situation.

My mirrors do not vibrate at any speed. And the deflectors are not going to bend. That hex bolt is rock solid. The angle bracket of the deflector assembly will flex some.

The hex bolt should be tight just like the screw was that it replaced, so the internal mirror bracket should not be able to vibrate. Maybe the hex bolt got cross threaded and will not tighten all the way up?

To make sure the hex bolt is in squarely, when closed, the wing deflectors should be precisely at the same angle/plane as the front of the mirror housing (tilted slightly towards the rear).

Hope this helps someone ....
    Albuquerque, NM

SInce the hex bolt is a lock nut if I remember correctly, maybe I didn't torque it down enough, but the more I torque it down the tighter it will make the deflector from moving in or out?
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016