Windshield, Helmets, Wind, and the radio - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windshield, Helmets, Wind, and the radio

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Two down sides for me with the Shoei,although, is I cannot get my current glasses under the sides without a huge hassle and the drone from my Cobra pipes is enhanced somewhat, but livable...Going to purchase glasses with straight back ear pieces next spring that will fit under the helmet and all should be "good to go for me." The pull down sun visor works great for bright days...
    I found that if I put the Shoei on first without my glasses and then put the glasses on after the helmet is on, it's much easier than fighting with both the helmet and glasses at the same time.
    I hear you about the Cobras. I tried my bike with Cobras, as the dealer had installed them on the bike before selling it. They lasted all of 10 minutes on my test ride before I insisted he put the stock pipes back on, which he gladly did in about 15 minutes. He was going to charge me his cost on the Cobras if I wanted them, but their droning was ridiculous. I'm very happy with the stock pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I found that if I put the Shoei on first without my glasses and then put the glasses on after the helmet is on, it's much easier than fighting with both the helmet and glasses at the same time.
    I hear you about the Cobras. I tried my bike with Cobras, as the dealer had installed them on the bike before selling it. They lasted all of 10 minutes on my test ride before I insisted he put the stock pipes back on, which he gladly did in about 15 minutes. He was going to charge me his cost on the Cobras if I wanted them, but their droning was ridiculous. I'm very happy with the stock pipes.
    I have tried both ways to get my glasses on and I know what you are saying, but the bend in the rear ear piece will not hook over my ears and they fall down on my nose when riding...For now I just ride without my prescription sun-glasses and use the sun-shield inside the Shoei. I tried the straight mount side pieces at the eye glass place last week and the new ones will work fine next spring..Thanks for the input and after going back and forth on the pipe issues, I decided to leave the Cobra's on for now as I have become okay with the drone sound and it is not as bad as at first..Besides I rather like the look...

Have any of you folks ever tried ear plugs? It is a nice way of getting rid of wind noise and way cheap as mods go.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Have any of you folks ever tried ear plugs? It is a nice way of getting rid of wind noise and way cheap as mods go.
    I've been wearing ear plugs for years, ever since I developed tinnitus in my left ear. For those that don't wear ear plugs, don't wait until you cause irreversible hearing damage before starting. Wish I had learned that lesson before it was too late. Ride long enough and far enough and chances are you will damage your ears if you don't wear ear plugs. Harley riders that only average 1000 miles per year can ignore my warning.

Yes, I have tried many types of ear plugs and I cannot stand any of them...Never been able to wear the things and they have never worked for me...I don't have any issues riding without them.. May have some custom ones made someday as they may be the only ones that may work if I choose...I have weird size ear canals, one smaller than the other, and none of the over 20 different styles I have tried work for me.....The Shoei helmet with 3/4 face shield does it for me in colder weather and longer highway rides...In town and during the warmer weather I use an open face HJC which works just fine...Regards.....

With the helmet and glasses,I wear shades under a clear sheild (dont have the pulldown sunscreen). The way I handle getting them on is to put the helmet on first,tilt it back and the glasses slip right on,pull helmet into riding position and strap down. With the sunscreen in the helmet it wouldn't be a problem but I ride all day and getting caught at sundown with a tinted shield is rough.
    The Klockwerks windshield looks good in the dark shade, but I am thinking of a mustang seat . Think I'll do the seat first and get the shield . If I have to look through it,it goes back (or for sale)
    I love the shorty,want to see it I can find one that is tinted or explore tinting it. Still working on hearing the great sound system on the road at highway speeds,dont really want to go earpads or stereo plugs but we'll see.
    My pipes are a little loud, not obnoxious but they do make a difference when driving and listening to music..
    Fun part is working all this out !

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    I often where ear phones whether I'm listening to something or not.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    When I bought my bike I rode the first 500 miles with the shorty windshield, half helmet, and my bifocal safety glasses. Two issues I had were wind coming up under my glasses drying out my eyes and having to turn the radio up pretty high. With these issues I purchased the taller Honda windshield.

I would like to go back to the shorty and can live with the radio but not the burning eyes.

I don't want goggles because I need my bifocals. I don't want to purchase goggles with bifocals either. I am hoping I can figure out someway to divert the wind another direction.

How about the Baker Airwings that mount under the mirrors?

OR, is the some kind of trim I can put along the top edge of the shorty windshield?

Last, I would prefer a 3/4 helmet but not a full face or modular.

Thanks
    The answer is your gonna have to ditch the safety glasses and get dedicated riding glasses with the foam surrounds. To me I don't like the looks of goggles over glasses. That's what I'm wearing. 3/4 helmet to cut down on wind noise. Do you have to have prescription glasses to see?