Post accident jitters. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post accident jitters.

i had to amend my original post after rereading it.... It seems most of them were my fault!!!! ha!

Hit a pickup truck head on in the middle of a sharp right hander about 20 years ago and yes, it was pretty ugly. It took several years after that before I was making right turns at the same speed as left turns. Bad accidents can definitely mess with your head so you just have to "get back on the horse". As Steve said, it just takes some time but eventually it all comes back.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I was off for a year after breaking my leg in three places (t-boned at an intersection). Getting on again was weird, very weird, especially wearing a lower leg cast. The body stores memories of trauma and has an automatic aversion to things that have hurt it, irregardless of what your neocortex wants to do today. For about the next year out, riding lost it's joy, I realized how vulnerable I was. Eventually I reintegrated the experience, needless to say, I'm a better rider having survived the lesson. Perhaps a refresher at MSF, some light weight, doesn't matter if you drop it riding will recondition you. After a year on the sideline, it would be a good idea anyways. Best of luck.
    ss^,
    Ken

Sorry to hear of your mishap and glad you are on the mend...I have not experienced a crash and hope never too....I can relate with the pothole thing being from the Detroit area..My biggest fear riding these days is not another driver as much, but hitting one of the many, many potholes around Michigan..The roads in this state are the worst in the nation and potholes are everywhere...It is almost like riding an obstacle course around where I live...I ride with as much caution as possible to avoid these damn things but they are everywhere and as you experienced, dangerous to both cars and bikes as well as people....Hope your knee mends as best as can be expected, so you can continue to ride and enjoy your bike...I suppose it could have always been worse...Take it easy for the first few times bike on the bike and try not to put as much weight on the bad knee for a while..I have a knee issue with my left one and I always try to put the right leg down first when coming to a stop....Good luck in the future and don't try to push things until your knee is healed.....It may also help to get seated on the bike and centered before you start it and be careful pulling the bike off the center or side stand until you feel that your leg is strong enough to hold weight of bike....

Stay outta Detroit and you'll be fine.

I'm surprised they didn't total your bike.

Now you have a reconstructed knee and a reconstructed title.

ATGATT.

You can't always prevent going down, but you can do a lot to prevent injury.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Time heals/hides all wounds...
    I agree. There are two types of riders. The one's that have never gone down and the one's that will sooner or later. If you ride long enough the odds are something will happen. If you are always aware of your surroundings, wear safety gear, and ride reasonably and within your skills you can lessen the risk substantially.
    If something does happen you can only look forward, learn from it and go on.

12 years ago after I had been riding 28 years on the road I hit a deer with a Honda Valkyrie at 55 mph. I didn't have time to hit the brakes or even come off the throttle. Non survivable accident without safety gear with Teresa directly behind me on her bike. The bike was totaled but I was OK and never looked back. Rode the next day (Teresa's bike). She was traumatized by seeing all of it, didn't ride for a couple of months.

Moral of the story is, it can happen in an instant to anyone no matter how good you are and to be prepared. If it does happen you have to move on and after time you are OK.
    To this day Teresa is freaked out when we see deer close by the roads while riding.

First I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope you heal well and quickly. Glad to hear the bike is back together.
    I had a couple of falls on my first bike, a tip over later on my XS 1100 Yamaha. I have been fortunate since. A few close calls but made it.
    Deer and wildlife freak me out especially at night when they think they own the roads but still I ride. Stuff laying in the road -idiot car drivers- all these hazards are what we deal with - but still we ride.
    I like some of the others here have the same suggestion, heal, take a few easy ,gentle runs and it will just come back.
    The thrill of riding will take over and you'll hopefully be back into it in no time.
    My best to you !

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
    Make sure you have all the right gear, research the best stuff you can find and don't hold back. When you health, get back on the bike and get out away from cars and the congestion and just cruise around and get the groove back. It will come back faster than you think. Glad you are hurt more seriously and that the bike is all fixed up.

Have fun riding.
    I better start proof reading . Should have said, When you are healthy, and Glad you are NOT hurt more seriously. So sorry. My fingers are going faster than the brain I guess.