Are Brakes
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Brakes

Are Brakes

Question, I know when we use are back brake it will activate the front also. But when we use just the front doz it activate the rear brake also.. Reading here in my owner manual it says it doz. But I just had my recall done an the service writer says it doz not.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavvyduty View Post
    Question, I know when we use are back brake it will activate the front also. But when we use just the front doz it activate the rear brake also.. Reading here in my owner manual it says it doz. But I just had my recall done an the service writer says it doz not.
    Service writer needs some tech training. Yes, front brake lever actuation does activate a portion of the rear brake.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    Yep. Service writer is a dumbazz. Don't ever assume that anyone at the dealership knows anything. It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid most of them are.

Sorry but you guys are wrong, the front brake only operates the front

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Sorry but you guys are wrong, the front brake only operates the front
    On page 58 at the very top of Owners Manual it says we have a DUAL CBS(Linked braking system) Can some one else ck there manual an see if it reads like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavvyduty View Post
    On page 58 at the very top of Owners Manual it says we have a DUAL CBS(Linked braking system) Can some one else ck there manual an see if it reads like mine.
    Mine says the same thing. 2014, non ABS.
    Since I have the manual open, in the brake section, the dual CBS linkage is quite evident.

Tailgunner: what makes you believe they are not linked both ways?
    Seriously, I'm always up for tech training.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

For one thing it is the same system the vtx 1800 has, another is putting a dual system defeats what Honda in tented for our bikes. A lot of people use only their rear brake so for safety Honda linked the rear to the front. Also if you look at the bleed diagram in the manual it shows the front brake fluid only goes to the front

For one thing it is the same system the vtx 1800 has
    I am ignorant of the VTX system - I figured this system would be nearer to what the GL1800A has.

another is putting a dual system defeats what Honda in tented for our bikes.
    I have to ask: what were Honda's intentions?

A lot of people use only their rear brake so for safety Honda linked the rear to the front.
    I think that is actually less safe - if people are intentionally dragging their rear brake in a turn, unknowing application of the front brake could get "interactive" if not "catastrophically dynamic" in a hurry. Of course I always advocate using both brakes during classes. Personally? I'm a primarily front brake guy - keeps me honest.

Also if you look at the bleed diagram in the manual it shows the front brake fluid only goes to the front
    I see (literally in the manual) what you are saying there - but bleeding a system and hydraulic pressure functionality are two very different things.

Someone (Big Larry, I think) posted a brake hydraulic flow chart that illustrated what happens when each brake lever is applied.
    I think someone said to put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel while someone applied the front brake.
    I'd do it now but Isleen is taking her spa treatment this week getting her brake recall performed.

I'm pretty sure the "Second Master Cylinder", and the "PGM" somehow make a single rear piston activate when the front brake is applied.
    I'll make my dealer explain it to me when I get Isleen.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

For one thing it is the same system the vtx 1800 has, another is putting a dual system defeats what Honda in tented for our bikes. A lot of people use only their rear brake so for safety Honda linked the rear to the front. Also if you look at the bleed diagram in the manual it shows the front brake fluid only goes to the front
    Do a lot of people seriously only use their rear brake? I use my front mainly and the rear as a back up.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.