Ride Quality Over Rough Roads - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ride Quality Over Rough Roads

Just to be clear (and I appreciate that your experience may differ):

(a) My experience with the GL1800 suspension (supported by its critique by such vested interests but nontheless convincing experts as the guys at Traxxion) is such that I'm not worried about "what may or may not happen down the road"; rather, I'm expecting with some certainty that the suspension will crap out on me, and not at some vague and distant point down the road but within the first couple of years (riding at 10,000+ miles/year). With that past experience driving, say, a Ford pick-up, wouldn't anyone be cautious about buying another one?

(b) This suspension deterioration is just not something Honda would honor as a warranty issue. Believe me, I speak from experience of trying to get Mother Honda to acknowedge much more obvious design defects in previous models I have owned (such as repeated failures ofnthe final driven flange on my 1984 Wing).

But I am beginning to detect enough defensiveness that I gather I am raising these questions with the wrong audience. Thanks anyway and let's fuhgetabowdit.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post

(a) My experience with the GL1800 suspension (supported by its critique by such vested interests but nontheless convincing experts as the guys at Traxxion) is such that I'm not worried about "what may or may not happen down the road"; rather, I'm expecting with some certainty that the suspension will crap out on me, and not at some vague and distant point down the road but within the first couple of years (riding at 10,000+ miles/year). With that past experience driving, say, a Ford pick-up, wouldn't anyone be cautious about buying another one?

(b) This suspension deterioration is just not something Honda would honor as a warranty issue. Believe me, I speak from experience of trying to get Mother Honda to acknowedge much more obvious design defects in previous models I have owned (such as repeated failures ofnthe final driven flange on my 1984 Wing).

But I am beginning to detect enough defensiveness that I gather I am raising these questions with the wrong audience. Thanks anyway and let's fuhgetabowdit.
    I don't think anyone is trying to be defensive about the suspension issues..If I came off that way it was not intended...Many GW riders have expressed some front suspension problems over the years, and many have not, from what I have read on the GW web-site. I have never owned a Wing and do not intend to due to age and other issues...I did not buy one on my last bike trade due to some of the suspension issues you have citied...plus the seat was to high...I road a Victory Vision Tour for 3 years and, in my opinion,it had the best suspension on a bike bar none...I wanted to go back to the flat-six, after owning a Valkyrie Tour for 6 years and the F6B fit the bill for me as I don't ride many annual miles these days....Perhaps the Honda folks will re-design the GW soon and address this issue that seems to bother some riders...Until then, I would probably buy a BMW if I was looking for a high mileage long distance tourer....Regards and Ride Safe....

RoadSurfer--Why wait for the suspension to slowly fade away? Contact Big Dawg (Jimmy Chance) on this forum to set you up with Traxxion forks. It's an immediate improvement over even the new suspension.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post

It's easy to be able to misjudge someone's demeanor on an internet forum. That said, I'm beginning to detect a little sumpin' sumpin' in your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    RoadSurfer--Why wait for the suspension to slowly fade away? Contact Big Dawg (Jimmy Chance) on this forum to set you up with Traxxion forks. It's an immediate improvement over even the new suspension.
    He said he already had the Wing set up with Traxxion forks and they were not helping if I read the posting correctly???