Deluxe ...or Da Plain? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Deluxe ...or Da Plain?

A Vote for the Standard Model

After a lot of soul searching on the best way to spend my dollars, I decided on a 2015 standard model. I live in Florida so the heated grips don't matter to me and I never ride two-up so the back rest would serve no purpose. The self cancelling turn signals, never had em and don't miss em. I bought the center stand off Ebay and installed it myself. For $1,000 difference in retail price between the standard and deluxe, I thought I'd be better off putting that money into an extended warranty, so that's what I did. I bought a Honda Protection Plan for 84 months, a total of 7 years full warranty coverage with unlimited mileage and roadside assistance for about the same money as a deluxe would have cost me with only a three year warranty (and no roadside assistance). If you keep your bikes for a long time and put a lot of miles on them like I do, the warranty will most likely pay for itself. Imagine what repair costs will be six or seven years from now. My advice, take the standard and buy a Honda Protection Plan for what you'll save by not buying the deluxe. Just my 2 cents.

fl1madmax

Buy from Bodines in Melbourne Florida LIFE TIME WARRANTEE

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    After a lot of soul searching on the best way to spend my dollars, I decided on a 2015 standard model. I live in Florida so the heated grips don't matter to me and I never ride two-up so the back rest would serve no purpose. The self cancelling turn signals, never had em and don't miss em. I bought the center stand off Ebay and installed it myself. For $1,000 difference in retail price between the standard and deluxe, I thought I'd be better off putting that money into an extended warranty, so that's what I did. I bought a Honda Protection Plan for 84 months, a total of 7 years full warranty coverage with unlimited mileage and roadside assistance for about the same money as a deluxe would have cost me with only a three year warranty (and no roadside assistance). If you keep your bikes for a long time and put a lot of miles on them like I do, the warranty will most likely pay for itself. Imagine what repair costs will be six or seven years from now. My advice, take the standard and buy a Honda Protection Plan for what you'll save by not buying the deluxe. Just my 2 cents.
    Yupper that's right he gives you life time Honda warrantee, don't have to bring it back to him for warrantee !!!! accepted everywhere.
    But when was the last time you have a Flat Six Bagger --------------Break ???????? ( F6B )

Well...clearly more to the Deluxe than I had originally sussed.

The jumpseat backrest is a take-it-or-leave item for me (of course, my wife has a different opinion on that.) Personally....I rather prefer the look without the backrest. My wife tells me that I prefer WITH the backrest.

I've never had heated grips before.....my most recent ride was an 1100 Katana (the only brand-new bike I've ever owned...the F6 to be the second) from back before such things existed (and now you know why my wife is so enamoured with the backrest). So I don't know whether they're a big deal to me or not. Probably not, as I don't do a lot of cold weather riding (this is NC, we have true cold weather for about 4 weeks a year....rarely the same 4 weeks from year to year.) Not to mention that aftermarket grips would be a dead item down the road.

Cruise control may be an issue, however. Never had it....but on past bikes ( pre-Kat....Dare I say the 'V' word from company Y?) I had several of the friction type thumb-lever throttle locks (does anyone still even make those?) which were quite handy.

Centre stand is a go/no-go item....whether I put it on or Honda does. (The mounting lugs are on the frame either way, right?)

Self canceling turn signals were a dream come true, back when I had them. Of course, the Kat told me I didn't really want them after all ( also...the Kat would fire right up late in the day, but never had much interest and had to be coaxed in the morning. A lot like a wife, that Kat was). I suspect I'll probably punch them off out of habit either way.

The better resale value of the Deluxe is an attention grabber. But....I'm of an age where this is probably going to be the bike they bury me with anyway. So...another coin-flip.

I like the idea of buying standard and using deluxe money to extend the warranty. But my understanding is I can do that for quite awhile after the sale anyway....when the wallet recovers.

So....decisions, decisions......

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    Well...clearly more to the Deluxe than I had originally sussed.

The jumpseat backrest is a take-it-or-leave item for me (of course, my wife has a different opinion on that.) Personally....I rather prefer the look without the backrest. My wife tells me that I prefer WITH the backrest.

I've never had heated grips before.....my most recent ride was an 1100 Katana (the only brand-new bike I've ever owned...the F6 to be the second) from back before such things existed (and now you know why my wife is so enamoured with the backrest). So I don't know whether they're a big deal to me or not. Probably not, as I don't do a lot of cold weather riding (this is NC, we have true cold weather for about 4 weeks a year....rarely the same 4 weeks from year to year.) Not to mention that aftermarket grips would be a dead item down the road.

Cruise control may be an issue, however. Never had it....but on past bikes ( pre-Kat....Dare I say the 'V' word from company Y?) I had several of the friction type thumb-lever throttle locks (does anyone still even make those?) which were quite handy.

Centre stand is a go/no-go item....whether I put it on or Honda does. (The mounting lugs are on the frame either way, right?)

Self canceling turn signals were a dream come true, back when I had them. Of course, the Kat told me I didn't really want them after all ( also...the Kat would fire right up late in the day, but never had much interest and had to be coaxed in the morning. A lot like a wife, that Kat was). I suspect I'll probably punch them off out of habit either way.

The better resale value of the Deluxe is an attention grabber. But....I'm of an age where this is probably going to be the bike they bury me with anyway. So...another coin-flip.

I like the idea of buying standard and using deluxe money to extend the warranty. But my understanding is I can do that for quite awhile after the sale anyway....when the wallet recovers.

So....decisions, decisions......

.....sT
    My dealer offered the four year extended warranty for $600+tax. He said the price from Honda goes up 10% per year. Any truth to this, or he is he trying to sell me one right now rather than later? (I will probably buy one a year or two from now).

Sounds like your dealer may be trying to sell you something other than a genuine "Honda Protection Plan". I only say that because my dealer also had a warranty plan available from an outside company. Follow this link to the Honda website for the Honda Protection Plan costs.

http://powersports.honda.com/protect...threeyear.aspx

You also must understand how the plan works. If you purchase the 12 month plan (as seen on the chart), you end up with one extra year of protection, the original three year factory warranty plus one more year for a total of four years protection.

Looking at the chart, I purchased the "48 month" plan which is seven years total, three years new vehicle warranty plus four additional years that I purchased totaling seven years. The actual application form filled out by the dealer clearly states 84 months (seven years) total protection.

At the suggestion of another forum member, I first called Russellville Honda in Ark to get a quote but found out that they could not sell me the Honda Protection plan as a Florida resident unless I physically purchased a bike from them, that was per Protection Plan HQ. Doesn't make sense to me but it's a fact. Consequently, I had to pay the plan price as seen on the chart. And as my dealer explained to me, there is no negotiating here in Florida, per state regulations. Same cost at any authorized Honda Powersports dealer. Others on the forum may not agree but I've been through it.

Long story short, I'm glad I did this. As long as I keep proper maintenance records showing that all the scheduled services were performed, I'm covered. Any yes, you, as the owner can do your own service, just keep your receipts and log each service. This is per my dealer.

Extended warranties are not for everyone, but for me it was the right thing to do based on my expected term of ownership and mileage. A lot to consider for sure.

Sounds like your dealer may be trying to sell you something other than a genuine "Honda Protection Plan". I only say that because my dealer also had a warranty plan available from an outside company. Follow this link to the Honda website for the Honda Protection Plan costs.

http://powersports.honda.com/protect...threeyear.aspx

You also must understand how the plan works. If you purchase the 12 month plan (as seen on the chart), you end up with one extra year of protection, the original three year factory warranty plus one more year for a total of four years protection.

Looking at the chart, I purchased the "48 month" plan which is seven years total, three years new vehicle warranty plus four additional years that I purchased totaling seven years. The actual application form filled out by the dealer clearly states 84 months (seven years) total protection.

At the suggestion of another forum member, I first called Russellville Honda in Ark to get a quote but found out that they could not sell me the Honda Protection plan as a Florida resident unless I physically purchased a bike from them, that was per Protection Plan HQ. Doesn't make sense to me but it's a fact. Consequently, I had to pay the plan price as seen on the chart. And as my dealer explained to me, there is no negotiating here in Florida, per state regulations. Same cost at any authorized Honda Powersports dealer. Others on the forum may not agree but I've been through it.

Long story short, I'm glad I did this. As long as I keep proper maintenance records showing that all the scheduled services were performed, I'm covered. Any yes, you, as the owner can do your own service, just keep your receipts and log each service. This is per my dealer.

Extended warranties are not for everyone, but for me it was the right thing to do based on my expected term of ownership and mileage. A lot to consider for sure.
    Yup, I hear ya.

I just double-checked, and yes, it is a Honda Protection Plan exactly as described above. I would also add four years to the original three, like you did. I plan on on keeping this bike for 10 years, which would add up to about 60,000 miles.

The only thing that bothers me is that they don't cover the audio system in the extended warranty. That is a major component on the bike, one of its best features.

…oh yeah, my dealer does discount the warranty to $600 from $800. Sales tax is charged, though.

If your dealer can discount the plan that much, I say go for it. That would be $600 well spent. Keep in mind that you will not receive roadside assistance at that price however. I specifically wanted the roadside assistance also which will get my bike to the nearest Honda dealer regardless of mileage and the roadside assistance begins immediately upon acceptance into the plan, so you actually get roadside assistance for all seven years. Thoughts of getting stranded out in the middle of no-where scare me. Good luck on whatever you decide.

If your dealer can discount the plan that much, I say go for it. That would be $600 well spent. Keep in mind that you will not receive roadside assistance at that price however. I specifically wanted the roadside assistance also which will get my bike to the nearest Honda dealer regardless of mileage and the roadside assistance begins immediately upon acceptance into the plan, so you actually get roadside assistance for all seven years. Thoughts of getting stranded out in the middle of no-where scare me. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    Thanks, yes, I noticed that roadside assistance is not available at that price point. I will definitely get the extended warranty…just a matter of when, not if…still gotta get used to having my first ever motorcycle payment…

Extended Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Thanks, yes, I noticed that roadside assistance is not available at that price point. I will definitely get the extended warranty…just a matter of when, not if…still gotta get used to having my first ever motorcycle payment…
    I just got an email from Honda Direct Line. They have a sale on extended warranties for $570. They also discount the roadside assistance plan.

Another option for roadside assistance is to join the AMA. They include it with some memberships.