Anti Drone - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti Drone

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Went for a ride with Deer Slayer yesterday so we could compare exhaust systems. My setup is Torq Master Daytona's without baffles and no crossover mods. DS is sportin' a drilled-out OEM exhaust with a perforated disc welded in the crossover pipe. First of all, DS's bike is LOUD, probably due to overdoing it on the drilling. It sounds great, has a deep rumble, but generates too much noise for either of us going down the road. I could barely hear my Daytona's by comparison and they're not exactly what you would call quiet. Anyway, we did a 5th gear roll-on comparison and he was slightly faster which suggests that modding the crossover pipe wasn't a bad thing. Also, his mpg during our 200 mile or so run was about the same as before the crossover mod so again, no harm done. Based on these results, we will be doing the crossover mod on my bike the first chance we get.
    Hornblower I believe the home fried chicken will have to be attacked again. Twas very good. I removed the loud ass mufflers an reinstalled my front plate drilled Honda units. To me it has a nice sound above stock and you can hear the music on helmet ear phones. Thats all folkes.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Boy was I suprised when I got my Cobras yesterday and stayed up too late and got them installed. Went to work this morning and Viola, I know what drone is! I never even started the bike with the baffles in. the gutted Cobras were terrible going to work this morning. I was sick about it all day long. As soon as I got home, I stuck all the baffles in and started the beast up. (too quiet). Next I removed two baffles, no drone. Finally, I removed two more baffles and I couldnt believe that the drone was mostly gone but I had a little noise to make me happy! I guess there is some kind of resonance that just seems to fill my head. I finally know what drone is. Now I need to find out what torque loops are and how do I install them.
    Blotar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    DS, this looks very similar to what I did to my OEM mufflers, and to the OEM tips. I have since that time removed those OEM mufflers, and tips, and....they are available for sale...if someone on this forum wanted to TRY out a set of OEM mufflers and tips that have already been drilled out, rather than drill your own. This would allow a rider to TRY out the drilled version, and if they didn't like it, then could reinstall their non-drilled mufflers.

I have since that time installed aftermarket mufflers and Torq Loops, and the drone is 100 % gone. I have always agreed with Deer Slayer as to where the drone is located, and what causes it, and what it actually is. I would say to any and all that have aftermarket mufflers.....the drone is NOT caused by your aftermarket mufflers, so don't be upset with the manufacturer or supplier, as it is not their fault. Honda simply built a good enough OEM muffler that it masks the drone. Once you remove those OEM mufflers, you will most likely....."most likely"...hear the drone, unless you strain your back from lifting too heavy of a wine goblet.

Quite Frankly, I think the best set up for these bikes is the OEM mufflers and tips. But, as we all know, to each his own.

I am happy with what I have now, and how the bike sounds, and performs, but given 20/20 hindshight, I would have stayed with OEM mufflers. My personal reasoning for making the change was more due to the "need" to feel the bike through the seat of the pants, because I cannot hear the bike with the OEM mufflers now. Due to my recent hearing loss, the bike sounds like it is an electric bike, when using OEM mufflers. That can be disconcerting when riding in twisties, as we get used to hearing our bikes, and knowing how it is performing, gear shifts, etc. By changing to aftermarket mufflers and Torq Loops, I can now "FEEL" the bike better.
    I agree that the drone issue is from the catalytic converters causing resonance.
    www.cobrausa.com
    Anything's Possible

does anyone have any experience with putting a couple of holes in the Cat Converters to 'bust up' the resonance frequency?
    Blotar

Quote Originally Posted by Blotar View Post
    does anyone have any experience with putting a couple of holes in the Cat Converters to 'bust up' the resonance frequency?
    Blotar
    The Torque Loops will allow you to remove the cats. For me, I would not do in the cats as one may need them in the future and replacement will lighten your billfold. With a kit from Torque Loops you can return the cats to service if one needs to.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

do torque loops affect the original warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Blotar View Post
    do torque loops affect the original warranty?

Blotar, yes, removing the CATs and installing the Torq Loops does in fact affect the bikes' warranty.

And, for the last time, please read this carefully...the DRONE is NOT caused by the CATs. Despite what anyone else, or any other company may say, or tell you...It is a harmonic resonance that is located INSIDE the cross-over tube. The...CROSS-OVER TUBE.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    . The...CROSS-OVER TUBE.

Probably a dumb question, or not, and maybe answered elsewhere, but if the drone resonance is in the cross-over tube , then why do the stock mufflers not make the drone sound?..Or do they...Have not ridden with the stocks so I do not really know...Just curious....

No drone from the stock pipes, and I can hear them now that I have a shield that sends the wind over my head.