Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 16
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I have tons of tools but not a spinning dremil. I have the modulation thing to cut with / I don't think that will work. I have a zip tool but that thing is totally out of control.
    Steve
    Yeah, Steve, I have a RotoZip as well and that might be overkill for this small job. The oscillating tool might work depending on whether you have the right metal-cutting blade. Really, the Dremel with the abrasive cut-off blade is perfect for this application. Maybe this will be the excuse you've been needing to justify buying one .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Good, sharp, long nosed sheet metal cutting pliers are good too. Saves taping up the whole speaker to keep metal shavings out of the magnet, tweeter and mid.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Good, sharp, long nosed sheet metal cutting pliers are good too. Saves taping up the whole speaker to keep metal shavings out of the magnet, tweeter and mid.

Jim
    And how prey tell do you know about those metal shavings going straight to the magnet? I know I learned the hard way when I installed the Polk DB's .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Mission accomplished

After much farting around trying to figure out how to grind or hacksaw the frame, I simply used pliers to bend the lip flat and used a set of tin snips to trim off the material. Worked great and took all of 10 min each speaker. I'm ready to put the dash back on; can any body tell me what the little button in the center of the tweeter/mid range speakers does? I can't tell any difference with them pushed in or out... And as for the sound in general, well hard to tell listening to crappy radio in the garage..

Get a few clean, high Meg per second, songs recorded on a jump drive to evaluate your new sound. Radio, Sirius radio will not tell you anything about a speaker unless you have a super strong stereo fm signal.

The small tweeter button either turns down the tweeter - 3db in sound or leaves it full range.
    I left them out and adjusted the bass and treble to my liking.
    With clean recorded music, you can tell the difference with it out rather than pushed in for more bass.

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    And how prey tell do you know about those metal shavings going straight to the magnet? I know I learned the hard way when I installed the Polk DB's .
    I've sacrificed more money and time cutting speakers down in my time for it almost to be an obsession.

That's why I prefer bending or cutting with tin snips.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Perhaps I missed it somewhere along the way in all of this, but....

Do we have any official information what the actual rated output impedance is of the Honda amp? Or at least a rated operating impedance range? I'd hate to do this only to end up frying the amp because of a mismatch.

One of the reasons I've not even considered the J&M's. Their little video about how great their speakers are doesn't use a pink or white noise signal which might provide real information....just twangy country music, and not even the same sample of twangy country music. Makes me wonder what they are attempting to not say.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    I've sacrificed more money and time cutting speakers down in my time for it almost to be an obsession.

That's why I prefer bending or cutting with tin snips.
    J
    I like your idea of using tin snips. Might be a little harder than cutting with an abrasive disk but not having to deal with the metal chips is attractive. After cutting mine with a disc, I was able to blow off most of the chips with compressed air but I'll definitely consider the snips next time.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I like your idea of using tin snips. Might be a little harder than cutting with an abrasive disk but not having to deal with the metal chips is attractive. After cutting mine with a disc, I was able to blow off most of the chips with compressed air but I'll definitely consider the snips next time.
    Just got my JBL's installed. They definitely sound BETTER than stock.

I contemplated the tin snips for trimming the areas required, and started to use them. Did not like the way that the metal was deforming though with the initial cuts. So I wrapped up the speakers in tin foil, exposed the areas that I pre-marked for cutting, and dremeled the areas off.

Worked well. Minimal metal shavings to worry about adhering to the speakers. Am glad that somebody mentioned the shavings possibly being an issue from the dremel usage This is why this board is so helpful.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Great to hear it all went well during the install and that you are satisfied with the outcome.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe